Intentioned to QT

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been cycling a QT for the past few weeks. Today I did a water change, taking water directly from my DT. All parameters even and same in DT and QT.

Went out and brought a Cleaner wrasse and a Bi colour blenny with the intention to QT and copper treat over the span of 30 days.

After checking salinity from LFS bags (reading matched my water at 1.025) and a temperature acclimation I added both fish to the 50 litre QT.

The blenny straight away found a spot amongst a plastic plant, seems happy enough. The wrasse on the other hand stuck to swimming in one corner before coming to a rest, not gulping for air (QT has air stone and surface agitation from filter) but was just curled up. He had me worried, so I bottled leaving him in there.

Having no rock or sand in the QT could have been stressing him?? I don't know...

Anyway, netted him, effortlessly! I thought he was dead. Added him directly to my DT and it was like looking at a different fish! He was in his elements, exploring all the caves, finding all the nooks and crannies, not intimidated by the clowns or cromis and even said hello to our cleaner shrimp.

Afterwards he feed nicely on frozen brine shrimp.

I feel like I made the correct choice, hoping he had no underlining illnesses. He looks really happy and healthy though.

Any one else had similar experiences?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, cleaner wrasse are very sensitive fish, they do not appreciate being in bare tanks at all. That said, not running it through a quarantine is a bit risky.

Try to find something other than frozen brine shrimp to feed it - small pelleted food if it will take it, chopped mysids at least. They need to be fed small amounts, frequently throughout the day.

Do you happen to know where your cleaner wrasse was collected? The ones from Asia fare poorly compared to the ones from East Africa/Maldives. It has to do with the supply chain, and how they are handled.

Jay

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive noticed better results with a seeded sterile setup and dropping fish in predosed to 1ppm cu.
Seed the day of, and monitoring ammonia for water changes every 2 to 4 days depending on bioload.
Also have to factor in they were just transported.

Do you have any flow inside the tank other than the filter?
I noticed a lot of my quarantined friends like a mild current more than what the hang on filter can provide.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner wrasse played dead almost the entire time he was in quarantine. Often laying on his side at the bottom of the tank. He ate fine though. Has been active and happy in the display.

When they are stressed or scared some wrasse will play dead it’s common behavior. Not really harmful to them long term though.

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, cleaner wrasse are very sensitive fish, they do not appreciate being in bare tanks at all. That said, not running it through a quarantine is a bit risky.

Try to find something other than frozen brine shrimp to feed it - small pelleted food if it will take it, chopped mysids at least. They need to be fed small amounts, frequently throughout the day.

Do you happen to know where your cleaner wrasse was collected? The ones from Asia fare poorly compared to the ones from East Africa/Maldives. It has to do with the supply chain, and how they are handled.

Jay
Thanks for taking the time to reply Jay!

Yeah, I know. Set up the QT to do things the correct way, I just bottled it when he looked distressed/dead. I'll have to keep him in the DT now, would be a nightmare to catch him now (obviously I will find a way of needs be).

Thanks for the info on the different feed, I will look into that, I'm still new to the hobby so lots to learn but willing!

I'll have to enquire where he was sourced from as I didn't get the chance to ask that question.

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner wrasse played dead almost the entire time he was in quarantine. Often laying on his side at the bottom of the tank. He ate fine though. Has been active and happy in the display.

When they are stressed or scared some wrasse will play dead it’s common behavior. Not really harmful to them long term though.
Sneaky little arsehole got his own way then didn't he, try to do the right thing and still ended up in the DT within an hour ‍♂️

It's a massive learning curve, hate to see fishes distressed, he obviously played to my better nature. Fingers crossed he's in good health, otherwise I'll have to find a way to get him back into QT.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sneaky little arsehole got his own way then didn't he, try to do the right thing and still ended up in the DT within an hour ‍♂

It's a massive learning curve, hate to see fishes distressed, he obviously played to my better nature. Fingers crossed he's in good health, otherwise I'll have to find a way to get him back into QT.

Haha yeah he played you for a fool! I don’t fall for that play dead trick anymore.... I love wrasse so I have QT’d plenty and I would always recommend TTM for them - it’s quick and easy and they are sensitive to some meds

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive noticed better results with a seeded sterile setup and dropping fish in predosed to 1ppm cu.
Seed the day of, and monitoring ammonia for water changes every 2 to 4 days depending on bioload.
Also have to factor in they were just transported.

Do you have any flow inside the tank other than the filter?
I noticed a lot of my quarantined friends like a mild current more than what the hang on filter can provide.
Thanks for the info, that's good to know. I still need to fully learn about copper treatment though I have brought some Cupermine. There's always so much to research!

Yeah I don't have a power head in the quarantine, just the dual sponge filter giving surface agitation and an air stone also, surely this is plenty for a 50 litre?

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah he played you for a fool! I don’t fall for that play dead trick anymore.... I love wrasse so I have QT’d plenty and I would always recommend TTM for them - it’s quick and easy and they are sensitive to some meds
***!!!

Sounds like you have fallen for it in the past though

Scary though isn't it!! Little bugger, he better not ruin the DT now he's appealed to my better nature!

Last edited:

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***!!!

Scary though isn't it!! Little bugger, he better not ruin the DT now he's appealed to my better nature!

Haha fingers crossed for you but I rarely see any Protozoa with wrasse - mainly flukes you have to watch out for

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha fingers crossed for you but I rarely see any Protozoa with wrasse - mainly flukes you have to watch out for
I won't be making that mistake again!

Sounds live you've got plenty of experience with wrasse. Hope you don't mind me hitting you up if I have any further issues with them!

Bloody great fish though, it's so nice to have something that appreciates the aquascape. Definitely won't be the last one I keep

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be making that mistake again!

Sounds live you've got plenty of experience with wrasse. Hope you don't mind me hitting you up if I have any further issues with them!

Bloody great fish though, it's so nice to have something that appreciates the aquascape. Definitely won't be the last one I keep

For sure happy to help out!
Stock list for wrasse so far:
Melanurus wrasse
Banana wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
Choates wrasse
Whipfin fairy wrasse
Lineatus wrasse (QT)
Laboutei wrasse (QT)

still to go:
Green leopard wrasse (m/f)
Scott’s fairwrasse
Carpenters flasher wrasse
Lubbocks fairy wrasse
Mystery wrasse

#wrasseclub

64375EB7-7C58-4978-AA6B-1531210A1342.jpeg
A8F80A39-F106-48B5-8A2C-920DC5CEB619.jpeg
4D9DACD7-0AFD-4AF9-9BD6-B57AC30D254B.jpeg

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure happy to help out!
Stock list for wrasse so far:
Melanurus wrasse
Banana wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
Choates wrasse
Whipfin fairy wrasse
Lineatus wrasse (QT)
Laboutei wrasse (QT)

still to go:
Green leopard wrasse (m/f)
Scott’s fairwrasse
Carpenters flasher wrasse
Lubbocks fairy wrasse
Mystery wrasse

#wrasseclub

64375EB7-7C58-4978-AA6B-1531210A1342.jpeg
A8F80A39-F106-48B5-8A2C-920DC5CEB619.jpeg
4D9DACD7-0AFD-4AF9-9BD6-B57AC30D254B.jpeg
Fantastic looking set up mate!! Your Foxface is a beauty too. Yep, looks like you've definitely earned your stripes with the wrasses!!

I'll keep an eye on my wrasse and if he displays any signs of flukes I'll treat him in the DT as I've just read this is fine. UV steriliser will be fit this weekend also so that should help too.

Have a good weekend

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic looking set up mate!! Your Foxface is a beauty too. Yep, looks like you've definitely earned your stripes with the wrasses!!

I'll keep an eye on my wrasse and if he displays any signs of flukes I'll treat him in the DT as I've just read this is fine. UV steriliser will be fit this weekend also so that should help too.

Have a good weekend

Thanks mate! Yep he is heart breaker it’s slowly getting there still got plenty to do and stuff to add but give it a few more years lol

Good plan. Enjoy!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences with the cleaner wrasse... Not easy to care for, and agreed that QT can be tough on these specific fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back