Interesting 'New' LED Light

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone using for their lighting profiles for the lights? I am currently using the default SPS profile but the tank is too blue for me. Thinking of increasing the white a bit. Anyone want to share pictures of their tanks and profiles?

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone using for their lighting profiles for the lights? I am currently using the default SPS profile but the tank is too blue for me. Thinking of increasing the white a bit. Anyone want to share pictures of their tanks and profiles?

If you go to this link, I list my channel settings. The default SPS is a little too blue for me too.

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my "Peak" setting that is close to a 10k.
1578253792223.png

And here's what the tank looks like at that setting (cell phone pic with white balance at 7500k):
20200105_145545.jpg

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats temperature like on your power bricks? Mine are pretty warm to the touch. I have them mounted pretty close together in my stand's electric panel.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats temperature like on your power bricks? Mine are pretty warm to the touch. I have them mounted pretty close together in my stand's electric panel.

Mine are warm to the touch too. It’s because the bricks are waterproof that they get a little bit warmer. It’s nothing to worry about.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am back in the aquarium game after a lengthy hiatus, and have a 110 tall tank ~ 5 months old. It started out as FOWLR, but some of my hitchhikers got interesting...so anyway, now I'm thinking about a good light so I can keep some coral on purpose. My tank has a stand and matching hood, I'll have to hack the hood for ventilation for whatever high-powered light I get, but I am so far set on keeping the hood in place - so I want to get it right. I have a pretty wide center brace, so I'd be getting 2 lights for something in this form factor. That was my background - now on to my questions.
I do not want something that relies on an external server for daily operation. It looks like this relies on the local network in my home only, correct? I'm in a coastal area - power outages can happen. I need something that can still work.
My system is all dumb so far, just using some timers as controls. I imagine I'm a year or so from a controller. I imagined my lights would interface with my controller, whether just to maintain some synch with other functions like flow, or to turn off if the temp gets too high. I suppose I could just put the lights on an outlet that turns off for the latter, but what about the former? Can it be synched somehow with something like an apex or profilux? I appreciate that the control scheme is a high-point of these lights, and might be my primary control - I'm thinking about back-up plans and future-proofing. If the controller is in the light, maybe it just needs a synch signal for time and an on/off for odd-uses, rather than full spectrum control - kind of like a master/subordinate arrangement for PLC's in a control system.
Thanks in advance - I see I can just email the developer - but I didn't see this line of questions (maybe its too basic for more experienced reefers), so I thought I'd post publicly in the event there are others with similar thoughts.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am back in the aquarium game after a lengthy hiatus, and have a 110 tall tank ~ 5 months old. It started out as FOWLR, but some of my hitchhikers got interesting...so anyway, now I'm thinking about a good light so I can keep some coral on purpose. My tank has a stand and matching hood, I'll have to hack the hood for ventilation for whatever high-powered light I get, but I am so far set on keeping the hood in place - so I want to get it right. I have a pretty wide center brace, so I'd be getting 2 lights for something in this form factor. That was my background - now on to my questions.
I do not want something that relies on an external server for daily operation. It looks like this relies on the local network in my home only, correct? I'm in a coastal area - power outages can happen. I need something that can still work.
My system is all dumb so far, just using some timers as controls. I imagine I'm a year or so from a controller. I imagined my lights would interface with my controller, whether just to maintain some synch with other functions like flow, or to turn off if the temp gets too high. I suppose I could just put the lights on an outlet that turns off for the latter, but what about the former? Can it be synched somehow with something like an apex or profilux? I appreciate that the control scheme is a high-point of these lights, and might be my primary control - I'm thinking about back-up plans and future-proofing. If the controller is in the light, maybe it just needs a synch signal for time and an on/off for odd-uses, rather than full spectrum control - kind of like a master/subordinate arrangement for PLC's in a control system.
Thanks in advance - I see I can just email the developer - but I didn't see this line of questions (maybe its too basic for more experienced reefers), so I thought I'd post publicly in the event there are others with similar thoughts.

The lights have their own web server, so they will run without internet, if you were running everything on a generator. You can also set them up to run from your phone if you don't have wifi.

They do not have the capability of integrating with a controller as of now. The control interface they run is so nice, that I am not sure why you would want to control them with a third party system. Yes, you could plug them into a controllable outlet if you wanted to shut them off if water temperatures got too warm. Daniel adds new features to the user interface almost with every firmware update, so it wouldn't surprise me if he enabled some limited syncing at some point with controllers.

I love these lights and would recommend them to anyone without reservation.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corvallis, eh? Can I run them off my HP11C?
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense.

@lexinverts lol not derail the thread but I never noticed that. I grew up in Lebanon/lacomb. Moved to philomath when I got out of the army for a short time. I visit the area every year or so.

Back on topic. I was disappointed at first that there is no option for a controller but honestly the built in software is so good I can’t imagine why you would want that option. The web server for the lights is internal to the lights so even if you didn’t have internet you could run them off an internal network.

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as others have noted, they do not require an internet connection to run, and as long as they are powered, they will continue to run their set schedule. The one area it might get dicey in a power outage situation is that I would assume some minor interruption in power as the generator / UPS switches over. When the lights come back on, They would attempt to establish connection to the wifi again to get time sync information from it, so if your wifi is not on the same generator / UPS, and doesn't come back, the lights would not know what time it is, and the schedule might be off as a result. This is where the owner @danlu_gt might be able to address if my assumption is correct.

As others have noted, the web interface for programming is so good, I also don't miss the controller integration I had with the Radions I replaced. The only area I might like to have that would be for switching to a low-power mode in the event of a power outage, as I don't have a generator, only a large battery backup / inverter that will drain pretty quickly if these lights are at or near full power in an outage. Right now, they're on an outlet that's not backed up, so my tank will be dark until full power is restored.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as others have noted, they do not require an internet connection to run, and as long as they are powered, they will continue to run their set schedule. The one area it might get dicey in a power outage situation is that I would assume some minor interruption in power as the generator / UPS switches over. When the lights come back on, They would attempt to establish connection to the wifi again to get time sync information from it, so if your wifi is not on the same generator / UPS, and doesn't come back, the lights would not know what time it is, and the schedule might be off as a result. This is where the owner @danlu_gt might be able to address if my assumption is correct.

As others have noted, the web interface for programming is so good, I also don't miss the controller integration I had with the Radions I replaced. The only area I might like to have that would be for switching to a low-power mode in the event of a power outage, as I don't have a generator, only a large battery backup / inverter that will drain pretty quickly if these lights are at or near full power in an outage. Right now, they're on an outlet that's not backed up, so my tank will be dark until full power is restored.

Correct, after power outage, ReeFi will initial power up to user set Power On Time. As soon as it detects your WiFi network is back up, it will connect and sync time with internet.

If only internet outage and power is not interrupted, ReeFi will maintain correct internal clock. Internet connection is only used to sync date/time and for wireless firmware updates. The program schedule is web user interface are all internal to ReeFi.

As for ReeFi on UPS and running in low power mode, if you have a way to send tcp command on the network during power outage, I can create an API to put ReeFi in and out of low power mode. However, your wifi network will also need to be on the UPS.

Roachbeef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the hybrid's bracket spacing specs online, ReeFi Duo Extreme (8in wide) will fit. However, you'll need to stop by your local hardware store (Lowe's, HomeDepot, etc) to pickup some stainless steel or zinc M3 washers and M3 bolts to secure ReeFi onto the Aquatic's bracket system.
1577600031715.png
I measured my hybrid fixture last night and it's less than 8" wide in the middle

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measured my hybrid fixture last night and it's less than 8" wide in the middle
I ended up using my Aquatic Life Hybrid setup with the Reefi Extreme LED, I just bought the longer 24 inch end plates and the longer center support plates and that it. The setup works great and I get a lot of light on my tank.

Roachbeef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using my Aquatic Life Hybrid setup with the Reefi Extreme LED, I just bought the longer 24 inch end plates and the longer center support plates and that it. The setup works great and I get a lot of light on my tank.
Exactly what I did!!!!! Just waiting for delivery. Building a custom light hanger from a swivel tv mount!!!!!

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@danlu_gt unboxed my light today, these really are beautiful. I was almost wondering if I should be wearing white gloves :)

Question about the screws. To mount them to my existing arms I would most likely replace the 4 hook attachment thingies (scientific!) with screws and print an adapter. What type of thread are these? Are the 4 insides the same? If they were i would likely just swap them to the outside.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@danlu_gt unboxed my light today, these really are beautiful. I was almost wondering if I should be wearing white gloves :)

Question about the screws. To mount them to my existing arms I would most likely replace the 4 hook attachment thingies (scientific!) with screws and print an adapter. What type of thread are these? Are the 4 insides the same? If they were i would likely just swap them to the outside.

Glass/mirror makes it look very nice but easy to get finger prints on them. :)

The 4 hook attachment screws are M3 threads and so are the other 4 regular M3 screws. Yes, you can swap those screws around but do not remove all 8 at once. Best to just swap 2 at a time and tighten them down then swap out the next set. Be careful to make sure the screws are align properly so the screw threads won't get striped by accident.

Back