Interesting 'New' LED Light

jdschwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank dimensions. I use 4 ReeFi Duo Extreme mounted in perpendicular to the tank length. I use 2040 Wall Mounts option for my tank with lights about 15" off the water. For you setup, maybe you can hang a 2040 Aluminum or a 1515 (fractional) Aluminum profiles off the ceiling. Then with 2040/1515 Slide-On Adaptors for ReeFi, you can slide the Extremes on. Below is a pic of my setup:
DLU_3074.JPG
DLU_3063.JPG

danlu_gt, do you think the 4 Duos give enough coverage for the 30" wide? I recently added the OR3 LED strip because I was getting shadowing at the front of my tank.

Do you think I would be better off waiting for the Solos and spreading 8 of them out more to get better coverage?

Do you have an adapter that would allow me to mount to the angled ceiling? Something like this?
Kessil-Full-Angle-Adapter-for-LED-Fixtures-98.jpg

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
danlu_gt, do you think the 4 Duos give enough coverage for the 30" wide? I recently added the OR3 LED strip because I was getting shadowing at the front of my tank.

Do you think I would be better off waiting for the Solos and spreading 8 of them out more to get better coverage?

Do you have an adapter that would allow me to mount to the angled ceiling? Something like this?
Kessil-Full-Angle-Adapter-for-LED-Fixtures-98.jpg

If you can mount 4 Duo Extremes at 15" above the water, they will be plenty to cover 30" wide.

I can custom make the slide-on adaptors at fixed angled but no adjustable.

The ReeFi Unos are at least 3+ months from market. Due to the pandemic, it'll take more time for me to inspect and test the new custom made components.

jdschwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can mount 4 Duo Extremes at 15" above the water, they will be plenty to cover 30" wide.

I can custom make the slide-on adaptors at fixed angled but no adjustable.

The ReeFi Unos are at least 3+ months from market. Due to the pandemic, it'll take more time for me to inspect and test the new custom made components.

For the two that would be on the left side I could easily mount them at 15". For the two on the sloped ceiling side they would only be ~10" off the water line if they are mounted in the long direction from front to back. If I mount them similar to the Hydras I have now (long dimension going in the 72" direction) then they could be mounted ~14" above the water.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the two that would be on the left side I could easily mount them at 15". For the two on the sloped ceiling side they would only be ~10" off the water line if they are mounted in the long direction from front to back. If I mount them similar to the Hydras I have now (long dimension going in the 72" direction) then they could be mounted ~14" above the water.

What's your sloped ceiling height at 8.5" from the back of your tank?

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sloped ceiling height at 8.5" from the back of the tank is 15".

Then you'll get 13" mounting ReeFi Duo Extreme in perpendicular to the tank rim or about 14" above the water. That will give you coverage for 30" wide tank no problem.

jdschwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you'll get 13" mounting ReeFi Duo Extreme in perpendicular to the tank rim or about 14" above the water. That will give you coverage for 30" wide tank no problem.

Are you able to control the lights via Neptune Apex? Ideally, I'd like a switch on my breakout box to go to a predetermined profile if I am doing maintenance, or another switch if I want to show off all blues. I don't mind doing the normal scheduling with your web based app, but it would be nice to go to predetermined profiles with a physical switch.

With Ecotech, AI, Kessil, etc, if one employee leaves the company, you will still be able to get support for your lights. Is Reefi basically a one person company? What happens if you win the lottery or get hit by a bus? Will we still be able to get support for your lights? It seems like you have a great product, I just want to know what the risks are before I make a large investment in your lights.

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using 2 ReeFi Duo Extremes on a 120. Very happy with them.
I’m trying to figure this out. I’m in the market for a new light. I’m not sure if I want to go with this one, they hydra 64 or the new Kessil AP9X

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to control the lights via Neptune Apex? Ideally, I'd like a switch on my breakout box to go to a predetermined profile if I am doing maintenance, or another switch if I want to show off all blues. I don't mind doing the normal scheduling with your web based app, but it would be nice to go to predetermined profiles with a physical switch.

With Ecotech, AI, Kessil, etc, if one employee leaves the company, you will still be able to get support for your lights. Is Reefi basically a one person company? What happens if you win the lottery or get hit by a bus? Will we still be able to get support for your lights? It seems like you have a great product, I just want to know what the risks are before I make a large investment in your lights.

I’ve been using ReeFi lights in my tank since December. The user interface is very easy to use and very reliable. I have never once had an issue adjusting my lights.

Regarding customer service, it’s some of the best I have ever received. I had an issue that ended up being user error and I messaged Daniel. He called me a few minutes later without me asking to help me out!

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for new lighting as what I am currently using isn't cutting it for me(Current Marine Pro) and have narrowed it down to the Maxspect Razor X or Reefbreeders-and then I ran across these lights.

I have a 72 wide x 18 deep x 24 tall acrylic FOWLR tank so I am wondering if I could get by with two of the Duo Extremes? Was hoping to mount them between 8-12 inches above the water line. Will I get much glare when sitting down in front of the tank for viewing? This tank is in our living room so with it being 18" deep(front to back) do you think I'll have too much light spill? From what I've seen I don't think I'd have a problem but thought I'd ask in here for any of you guys thoughts. Thank you!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very little glare from these lights. @danlu_gt can correct me, but in my opinion, the 2 lights will have to be mounted very high for decent coverage. May want to wait for the single puck version that is being released.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for new lighting as what I am currently using isn't cutting it for me(Current Marine Pro) and have narrowed it down to the Maxspect Razor X or Reefbreeders-and then I ran across these lights.

I have a 72 wide x 18 deep x 24 tall acrylic FOWLR tank so I am wondering if I could get by with two of the Duo Extremes? Was hoping to mount them between 8-12 inches above the water line. Will I get much glare when sitting down in front of the tank for viewing? This tank is in our living room so with it being 18" deep(front to back) do you think I'll have too much light spill? From what I've seen I don't think I'd have a problem but thought I'd ask in here for any of you guys thoughts. Thank you!

I have mine hung like 15” up and the glare is barely noticeable

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For 2 Extremes mounted in parallel to your tank length, you'll need to mount them about 12"-15" above the tank for good coverage toward the top ends. The ReeFlectors are designed with 90deg spread. Within the 90deg spread looking up toward the light will be very bright. Otherwise, with the LED recessed in the ReeFlectors, you won't get much glare outside of the 90deg spread. Because your tank is only 18" deep, with 2 Extremes you'll need to balance how much light spill out of the front and back with side to side coverage. Maybe mount them around 10" above the water. You'll have darker area at the very top ends of the tank and a little spillage in the front. The spillage will be noticeable only if you're sitting low and looking up toward the light within the 90deg spread.

As for waiting for the Uno, latest status is the metal core PCB will be completed next week follow by LEDs and components soldering. Heatsink, vapor cooling, and fan control designs are done. I'm finalizing the plastic shell designs with thread inserts then takes 30 days to create the plastic injection molding. Then testing, assembly, more testing, and packaging.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help/advice. So are y'all recommending maybe two of the Extreme's and one Uno in between them in the center? Again; thanks for the help!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have wanted to wait for this to come out. Just ordered my Extreme last night. Then as always happens with me I panicked and started looking up more justification for why I spent that much money on a light. And here I am finding it is a great light, but already outdated. Story of my life.

Shelley

Last edited by a moderator:

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have wanted to wait for this to come out. Just ordered my Extreme last night. Then as always happens with me I panicked and started looking up more justification for why I spent that much money on a light. And here I am finding it is a great light, but already outdated. Story of my life.

Shelley

how is it already outdated?

AlainD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not outdated, the uno will be a lamp with one cluster and the Reefi extrem is with 2 cluster. Is like the radion XR30 and the XR15

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back