OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine fish constantly drink water, and thus will take in medications that way. This seems to be a more accurate way to dose them internally that just "soaking the food in medication" since that way, there is no idea as to the dose being given. At least in the water, the dose is a known value.

Jay
Thanks Jay! I just noticed my watchman goby breathing different ::: now I’m starting to really get upset::: sorry about the dirty glass. We are going to do maintenance tonight
Can you confirm this isn’t right?
I

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay! I just noticed my watchman goby breathing different ::: now I’m starting to really get upset::: sorry about the dirty glass. We are going to do maintenance tonight
Can you confirm this isn’t right?
I

Ugh, yes, the watchman is breathing too fast and too deeply.

Common wisdom is that this is caused by gill disease (velvet, flukes or bacteria) or water quality issues (including low oxygen). It can, however, be caused by really any systemic disease.

I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss as to what is going on here. The trouble is that there could very well be multiple issues at one time.

Does the tank have good aeration, not just circulation? A protein skimmer or an air stone will supply that, powerheads with their air intake turned off, will not.

Jay

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Common wisdom is that this is caused by gill disease (velvet, flukes or bacteria) or water quality issues (including low oxygen). It can, however, be caused by really any systemic disease.

I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss as to what is going on here. The trouble is that there could very well be multiple issues at one time.

Does the tank have good aeration, not just circulation? A protein skimmer or an air stone will supply that, powerheads with their air intake turned off, will not.

Jay
It has both the return and power head creating surface agitation plus a skimmer :( Im at a loss too. These fish have been in this tank and this set up running since I got it in from someone else in November. With weekly 10 gallon water changes. The only thing I added was dosing vibrant up until a few weeks ago for a hair algae issue. I don’t get why all of a sudden everyone would start having issues. Not to sound dramatic but I really feel like crying. :( I can’t get the general cure until Sunday. Is there a thread that will walk me through the treatment of that? Hopefully the watchman will do better after a water change. :( :( :( :(

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there. We are rooting for you and your tank. Try not to get too discouraged.
Thanks. That really does mean a lot.. I’ve invested so much of my time and care into doing all the things to care for these little guys, it’s heartbreaking to feel like something might be wrong and that could mean I lose any of them. Not to mention the effect it will have on my son. :( I know some of it is just part of the hobby but I have been very careful to not let anything get in the tank that might harm them. Hopefully it will have a happy ending. Kind of a crappy way to start the weekend.. cheers and there is vodka in my cup ;)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schooled GIF by ABC Network

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tried putting a little food in during blue lights because cardinals are nocturnal to see if he would go for it... no go :(. The cardinal not eating is my biggest concern out of all the fish. :(.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Hey Jay, so I’m still trying to prep the hospital tank and unsure the best course of action or which fish to treat.
update on symptoms
Female clown- still has very long strains of poop not necessarily white but tonight was like 2 1/2 inches before it released. New thing. Her lower fins in front of the vent have started looking raggedy and frayed all other fins look prefect - still eating tons

Male clown- slightly stringy poop at times but not really bad —fins look perfect and still eating tons

cardinal fish- laid eggs on Saturday. They are no longer attached and presume got eaten. She is still not eating and acts skittish when I get near the tank. breathing and everything else is normal fins look fine

watchman goby- breathing still seems a little heavy but appears to have headed back closer to a normal rate- still eating fine- fins look good

royal gramma and lawnmower blenny have zero symptoms of anything and eating normal

could the female clown of something bacterial since some of her fins are degrading?
should I try a Ruby rally pro bath before I try treating with the general cure?
shoukd I try a freshwater dip on the cardinal?
do you still think I should separate both clowns and the cardinal for a general cure treatment given the new egg laying development cardinal?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay, so I’m still trying to prep the hospital tank and unsure the best course of action or which fish to treat.
update on symptoms
Female clown- still has very long strains of poop not necessarily white but tonight was like 2 1/2 inches before it released. New thing. Her lower fins in front of the vent have started looking raggedy and frayed all other fins look prefect - still eating tons

Male clown- slightly stringy poop at times but not really bad —fins look perfect and still eating tons

cardinal fish- laid eggs on Saturday. They are no longer attached and presume got eaten. She is still not eating and acts skittish when I get near the tank. breathing and everything else is normal fins look fine

watchman goby- breathing still seems a little heavy but appears to have headed back closer to a normal rate- still eating fine- fins look good

royal gramma and lawnmower blenny have zero symptoms of anything and eating normal

could the female clown of something bacterial since some of her fins are degrading?
should I try a Ruby rally pro bath before I try treating with the general cure?
shoukd I try a freshwater dip on the cardinal?
do you still think I should separate both clowns and the cardinal for a general cure treatment given the new egg laying development cardinal?
Yes, the fin erosion on the clown could be bacterial, but that usually begins with some physical trauma that allows the bacteria to invade the tissues.
I don’t use Ruby Reef so I can’t say how well it will work in this case.
The clowns and Cardinal likely have different causes for their issues, so it is tough to say if the cardinal needs GC or not. It might not hurt to dose them all.
Jay

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the fin erosion on the clown could be bacterial, but that usually begins with some physical trauma that allows the bacteria to invade the tissues.
I don’t use Ruby Reef so I can’t say how well it will work in this case.
The clowns and Cardinal likely have different causes for their issues, so it is tough to say if the cardinal needs GC or not. It might not hurt to dose them all.
Jay
Thanks Jay! .. sometime I wish I picked an easier hobby

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine fish constantly drink water, and thus will take in medications that way. This seems to be a more accurate way to dose them internally that just "soaking the food in medication" since that way, there is no idea as to the dose being given. At least in the water, the dose is a known value.

Jay
Hey Jay,

So how long do I dose Prazi and Metro to my QT with my clownfish showing white hairlike poo? I'm having trouble finding old threads where I previously read treatment procedures. Lol.

I know on the bottle it says every other day for metro but does that change if a fish is showing symptoms? Same with prazi, does treatment change or follow the bottle? How long should treatment continue?

Also to confirm, you are saying dosing to the water is going to be the best method of treatment? I had previously read buying focus to bind to food but based on what I am reading now it seems like that is no longer recommended.

Lastly, should I dose anything else or would metro and prazi cover this?

Thanks

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay,

So how long do I dose Prazi and Metro to my QT with my clownfish showing white hairlike poo? I'm having trouble finding old threads where I previously read treatment procedures. Lol.

I know on the bottle it says every other day for metro but does that change if a fish is showing symptoms? Same with prazi, does treatment change or follow the bottle? How long should treatment continue?

Also to confirm, you are saying dosing to the water is going to be the best method of treatment? I had previously read buying focus to bind to food but based on what I am reading now it seems like that is no longer recommended.

Lastly, should I dose anything else or would metro and prazi cover this?

Thanks
Some clownfish with white poo get that from diet issues. Other times it is an overgrowth of a normal gut protozoan, and metro helps with that. Prazi only controls flukes or cestodes and neither of those cause white feces. Finally, bacterial infections can cause this, but that is less common.
Does the fish show an other symptoms? If not, this could be diet related.
Metro should be dosed every other day for three treatments. I would follow the label directions.
Jay

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clownfish with white poo get that from diet issues. Other times it is an overgrowth of a normal gut protozoan, and metro helps with that. Prazi only controls flukes or cestodes and neither of those cause white feces. Finally, bacterial infections can cause this, but that is less common.
Does the fish show an other symptoms? If not, this could be diet related.
Metro should be dosed every other day for three treatments. I would follow the label directions.
Jay
I got him about 48 hours ago. He hasn't eaten yet although seems interested in the food. Then just hours ago while observing I saw the long stringy hairlike feces. First dose of metro was 42 hours ago, so will be doing the second dose shortly. No other symptoms besides that. He is kind of swimming on the ground in the same spot a lot but seems active still when I check on him and swims all around the tank from time to time. So idk if he's just "relaxing" or doesn't feel good. Everything else like breathing seems normal.

Anything else that would be beneficial or just stick to metro?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him about 48 hours ago. He hasn't eaten yet although seems interested in the food. Then just hours ago while observing I saw the long stringy hairlike feces. First dose of metro was 42 hours ago, so will be doing the second dose shortly. No other symptoms besides that. He is kind of swimming on the ground in the same spot a lot but seems active still when I check on him and swims all around the tank from time to time. So idk if he's just "relaxing" or doesn't feel good. Everything else like breathing seems normal.

Anything else that would be beneficial or just stick to metro?
Well, not eating is actually a very serious secondary symptom. Are the foods you are offering the right size? Does it show any interest in the food?
Jay

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not eating is actually a very serious secondary symptom. Are the foods you are offering the right size? Does it show any interest in the food?
Jay
Yes shows a ton of interest but just not eating it. Today I got it to take a couple very small bits of tiny flake pieces so far.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes shows a ton of interest but just not eating it. Today I got it to take a couple very small bits of tiny flake pieces so far.
Have you got access to frozen mysids? Dicing some of those up might entice it to feed better.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back