Introducing Tangs

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by CanadianReefer, Nov 6, 2017.

1. CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer Well-Known Member

Okay, so...

About 3 months ago, I had the opportunity to purchase a rare tang (a Maculiceps) and I jumped at it. I had been looking for this fish for a long time, but they are simply not easy to get a hold of - at least not here in Canada. Beautiful fish...! Very peaceful, so far as tangs go. He reminds me of my Blonde Naso (though far more zippy since he's an acanthurus) in that he doesn't bother anyone.

After he was done with QT, I tried introducing him into my DT. I did the lights out, rearrange rock work, add the fish, turn the lights off during the day when I had aggression etc., but my purple tang wasn't having it and beat him up pretty badly... he was so weak that I was able to scoop him up in my hands.

I added him to another tank with more peaceful inhabitants and nursed him back to health. Within a day or two, he actually didn't look that bad at all. I was surprized at his quick recovery.

Skip forward a few months, I needed to try and add him to the big DT again. This is not a small fish, and the 75g he was in would not harbour him for very long (he's only 4" right now but grows to a similar size as the Naso). I put him in an acclimation box for a few days, and although I only saw my purple tang puff up at him for maybe the first half hour of his acclimation, I was still concerned, so I trapped the purple tang, put him in an acclimation box and released the Maculiceps in hopes that they would get used to one another while giving the Maculiceps a chance to settle in...

There were absolutely no problems with my Naso and Kole tangs. He and the magnificent foxface played the puff up game for an hour or two, but now they are swimming around the tank together. He fits in nicely.

Now the question is, what should I do with the purple tang? He's been in the acclimation box for a few days. It's a large box (maybe 7g in size), but still... tangs need to swim and I don't like the idea that he remains in there for too much longer. He's near impossible to catch, so if I release him and there are problems, however, I'm up the creek. He's not going to fall for the trap again easily - he was very leery of it in the first place.

So, should I release him back and see what happens? If so, how long should I keep him in this acclimation box before releasing him? Alternatively, am I best to remove him from the tank for a week or two? I could put him in the fish chamber in my sump (about 20g). I suppose I could also add him to the 75g (temporarily, of course), but after fishing out the Maculiceps, the One Spot Foxface that's in that tank went into camo/hiding mode and I don't want to add to his stress... I'm just trying to figure out what is most likely to reduce the purple tang's aggression.

Thoughts?

Tags:

2. JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad PMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

I would either leave the PT in the box or remove him from the tank for a couple weeks. PTs can be pretty aggressive. It's gonna be your call if you feel that the PT has chilled out enough to release back into the DT. I would sump him for a week or two and let the new tang mark out a bit of territory before adding the aggressor back in.

3. ZAB

ZAB Active Member

Maybe trade in purple tang for smaller one at lfs..I have always added pt to tank last..because of aggression on the pt part of the aggressive behaviour of the purple tang.

4. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I would put it in the refugium or another tank for a few weeks. he will forget he thought he owned the place before. This has worked for me several times in the past. I have a Yellow in time out right now as A butterfly settles in.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  5. CanadianReefer

Alright. Seems like the sump idea makes sense. Hopefully he forgets he's the boss by the time I put him back in and he leaves the Maculiceps alone. A time out would be good for him anyhow. He really can be a jerk at times lol

JaimeAdams, 4FordFamily and cracker like this.
  6. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

I agree with 'sumping him' for a couple of weeks.

JaimeAdams and CanadianReefer like this.
  7. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

As do I

8. Gablami

Gablami Well-Known Member

Also, when you do reintroduce him, mirrors on the glass have worked wonders for me. Sounds cheesy, but it works!

4FordFamily and CanadianReefer like this.
  9. sanchoy

sanchoy Well-Known Member

Sump time. PT will still think he is boss because he is still familiar with surrounding. Penalty box in sump for 1-2 weeks will do the trick.

CanadianReefer likes this.
  10. CanadianReefer

He's been moved. I hope this helps ! At the very least, it will give the Maculiceps time to settle in and feel confident about his surroundings. It really is too bad that my PT is so aggressive. I have a pretty peaceful tank otherwise.

11. Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters Well-Known Member ETRC Member

I had an aggressive purple tang that I had to remove twice for several days. He did calm down a bit after each time out, but he still asserted himself when reintroduced. I think putting him in the sump for a week is a good idea or longer depending on how long your new tang takes to be less stressed and eating well in the new tank. I suspect, though, the purple will try to be king again, but the advantage will be your new tang will be much less stressed no longer being the "new" kid on the block and having had time to settle in

12. CanadianReefer

Here's the cutie in question. Hard to see his colours with such a strong blue light and a phone camera, but he's a blueish purple base colour with vibrant yellow freckles around the face, yellow fins and white stripes along his body. When he puffs up, it's pretty cool indeed. 20171108_201947.jpg

mdbannister and ZAB like this.
  13. CanadianReefer

Anyone know why my pics are always added upside down on this app??

14. Bob Stohrer

Bob Stohrer Well-Known Member

The suggestions made by the other posters are all good ones. I think sumping the PT for a few weeks will change the tank dynamics for the better.

One thing that has worked well for me, especially with new tangs added to existing tang tanks is to never add just one new tang. add two or three (not always possible). Also, the new tang(s) should be much larger or smaller than the existing tangs. The existing tangs will be intimidated by the larger new fish and the smaller new fish won't challenge the existing tangs much. Also, aggression will be divided among the new tangs and some aggression from new towards some of the existing tangs. I also hang towels, rope, hoses against the glass and move them around every few hours. That distracts all. The mirror idea above sounds great too. Basically, you disrupt the entire pecking order and then allow it to peacefully re-balance.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  15. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Beautiful new addition!
    What app are you using? I recommend dropping the app and just using the mobile site. The features are better and the site software works better without the app.

CanadianReefer and eatbreakfast like this.
  16. CanadianReefer

I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion! I am using the R2R app but this photo thing is a constant issue :-s

mdbannister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted