Introducing the Hydros Maven

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at it this way….I see way less complaints about Hydros equipment than I do about Neptune products. This tells me that CV is doing something right. IMO CV needs to offer say a 10-15% discout if you ship them your old apex system back after what happened a while back and neptune somehow got all retailers to pull hydros systems off the shelves and websites. Reef Builders had a big write up about it. Then make a video showing them being crushed in a compactor, “crushing the competition!” I won’t support anyone pulling dirty business practices. Just like when GHL accused a random youtube reviewer of purposefully giving their tester a bad review because he was a fan boy of another system, not because it simply doesn’t work as advertised.
But is the lack of bad or even good posts on the hydros due to its mich smaller marketshare?

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your balking at the price then your not the target audience. I'm a small tank budget guy and I'm not going to buy one. I know people though with over $30k invested in their tanks who will buy this and see it as a bargain.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Don't forget the Launch it is a little more but has a pH port, salinity port, 4 sense ports and 4 0-10v inputs for inputs and 4 drive ports and 4 AC outlet for output ports. If you are going new and want more than what the Maven has it might be better to get it with the Maven. I already have 14 of the Hydros controllers in a collective so the Maven would defiantly be the way for me to go if I want to add more that alkalinity testing which I already have to mine. If you want to do more that once a day testing on Alkalinity then you would probably still want the iV for that since the reagent is a lot less expensive since it is just diluted sulfuric acid. Also the Maven wast has to be dump in a waste container and the iV can go back into the tank.

Yes but I was trying to compare the same or similar setups. What I described would be virtually the same thing. I know Hydros has a million different items. That is part of their market share issue. Their ecosystem is massively confusing.

But is the lack of bad or even good posts on the hydros due to its mich smaller marketshare?

Honestly I have been doing TONS of research on the Hydros and the negative posts/info I have seen are VERY rare. It is mostly rave reviews. A few people complaining about things that don't even count IMO. One of the complaints is a review on the X10 where he says it can't be used for water changes. When it can. He just didn't know how to program it.

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Trident you would have to buy both to get all 5 things the Maven test for. Also you will need an Apex controller system to use them. The Maven can be used on its own if you want. That cost is less than what it would cost you to get both of the Tridents.
Tridents are expensive too. They’re both overpriced.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna testers use proprietary reagents. That didn't stop me form getting their testers. That will not stop me from getting the Maven either.
But Hanna reagents are cheap.
I think he likely factors that. You can get a used Apex for $300 with a power bar and temp and ph probes. The cheapest setup you could get that would have a power bar and probes from Hydros is a Control XS which is just a temp probe and 4 plug outlets for $200. A comparable would be the X3 Pro pack which is $540 for PH and temp along with 8 outlets.

So all in you could be $1500ish for an Apex with 8 outlet control, all 5 parameter testing, ph and temp.

A Hydros would be $1749 for that same stuff. Granted you might be able to find a used X3 Pro. But that is quite rare right now.

I have a full Apex system with Trident. I'm still considering switching over to Hydros because Apex just isn't the quality it used to be.

Moral of the story is you are going to spend just about the same for each system to have the same features.
I agree. I bought mostly all used Apex. I was considering this but at a $K im out. I only test every 2 weeks anyway so im not the poor they are looking for. Mostly the big money reefer.

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget the Launch it is a little more but has a pH port, salinity port, 4 sense ports and 4 0-10v inputs for inputs and 4 drive ports and 4 AC outlet for output ports. If you are going new and want more than what the Maven has it might be better to get it with the Maven. I already have 14 of the Hydros controllers in a collective so the Maven would defiantly be the way for me to go if I want to add more that alkalinity testing which I already have to mine. If you want to do more that once a day testing on Alkalinity then you would probably still want the iV for that since the reagent is a lot less expensive since it is just diluted sulfuric acid. Also the Maven wast has to be dump in a waste container and the iV can go back into the tank.
I would make the following comparison:

Hydros Maven- $1200

BNIB Apex A3 +Trident package- $1240

Apex A3 PRO + Trident $1540

Ill stay with my A3 and Trident..honestly, how often do we need to be testing NO3 and P04 where we can justify a $1200 cost to switch. Most of us will test NO3 and PO4 every now and then or do ICP tests often enough when something seems off..

I was jazzed about the Maven at first but not at that price point...

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the following comparison:

Hydros Maven- $1200

BNIB Apex A3 +Trident package- $1240

Apex A3 PRO + Trident $1540

Ill stay with my A3 and Trident..honestly, how often do we need to be testing NO3 and P04 where we can justify a $1200 cost to switch. Most of us will test NO3 and PO4 every now and then or do ICP tests often enough when something seems off..

I was jazzed about the Maven at first but not at that price point...
But if the maven breaks your done. Like done done. Trident goes down apex still works. Apex goes down trident still works.

You also get eb832 with those purchases where the maven you do not. You would need an xp8 $280 more.

I think most of us apex guys just wanted the tester part and wanted it less expensive than Apex products. But like always what we want is not what we get. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if the maven breaks your done. Like done done. Trident goes down apex still works. Apex goes down trident still works.
Only if it’s the only brain in the system. You can have multiple aka redundancy. Yes, you’d have to have another module for that redundancy.

If my Apex head unit goes, I’m done done.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if it’s the only brain in the system. You can have multiple aka redundancy. Yes, you’d have to have another module for that redundancy.

If my Apex head unit goes, I’m done done.
I have another as a backup and eb832. I have backups for everything critical.
Think About It GIF by Identity

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did Neptune announce their pricing? My problem is I don't want ANOTHER ugly trident in my stand. The first one is a massive waste of space already.
I don’t know if it’s confirmed but I have seen $749 multiple times if I’m remembering correctly.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that with the Apex Trident you have to have both of the tridents to do all 5 test so you will need compare the cost of both of the Tridents with the cost of the Maven. Also the Tridents will not work without an Apex controller but the Maven can work alone if you want just it or can be part fo a Hydros collective also.
Yes that’s exactly why I said what I said. The full price comparison is only valid for those starting from scratch. For starting from scratch, the Maven is the obvious choice. For people currently in the Apex ecosystem, the cost of an Apex brain is irrelevant. Now that the trident has been out for five(?) years now I would also venture a guess that most people who want a trident by now have one. Or at the very least, most people are not looking to pick up both of these units (trident original and NP) at the same time. I think the largest market for the new Trident is people who already have an Apex and most likely also an original trident. I am in that group. I would be willing to pay a couple hundred dollars more for the maven in order to have the ability to test multiple tanks, dip my toes into the Hydros ecosystem, and give me redundant back up calcium alkalinity and magnesium testing. But I’m probably not going to pay $450 more.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your balking at the price then your not the target audience. I'm a small tank budget guy and I'm not going to buy one. I know people though with over $30k invested in their tanks who will buy this and see it as a bargain.

This isn't really true. Well, let me say I would disagree. Every hobbyist, regardless of the hobby, should have a yearly operating budget. There is an initial then ongoing. If not then things can spiral out of control and shortcuts start happening which could lead to more costs later on to correct things. Note I said "hobby" because which one it is doesn't matter. Sewing, wood working, RC, HPDE, etc.

Test automation is a luxury. Not a requirement.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...honestly, how often do we need to be testing NO3 and P04 where we can justify a $1200 cost to switch. Most of us will test NO3 and PO4 every now and then or do ICP tests often enough when something seems off...
Honestly, how often does the average reefer need to test anything (excluding temperature)?

If your tank is "stable", is testing daily a necessity?

If your tank is not "stable", then test more frequently. Possibly daily, but is testing multiple times a day a necessity?

From a price comparison stand point, no automated tester from any manufacturer will ever make sense over manual tests.

For me, an automated tester would add convenience. The Maven would also add redundancy to my current controller.

Would it make financial sense, no way.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But Hanna reagents are cheap.

I agree. I bought mostly all used Apex. I was considering this but at a $K im out. I only test every 2 weeks anyway so im not the poor they are looking for. Mostly the big money reefer.
If I added right the Hanna reagents for a 100 test of each of the 5 things being tested with the Maven would run $380 at Bulk Reef Supply. They have not said how much each would be but they did say there would be enough for 100 test of each. Not sure it it would be that much supplied with the Maven when purchased. They also have not said how long the reagents are good for after they are opened. We would need to know how long they last once opened and how much but my guess is it will depend on which one of the test the reagents are do how much since they range from 60-112 with Hanna for 100 test. Hanna comes in 25 test per refill of the reagents so I multiplied their price by 4 to match the Hydros. If the Maven comes with all the reagents for the $1200 price that may also explain why since Hanna would be $380 for that many test just for the reagents. The 5 Hanna testers would cost 324.75 if you don't have then already and the if they come with enough reagents for 25 test you would have to add another $285 to the 324.75 to compare new to new. So the Hannas would be about half the price but they would be you doing 500 test manually. Not sure how valuable you time is but that is a lot of time that you would be doing testing that you could be doing something else. So it is just a matter if you want regular test you best option mY be so kind of auto testing but it will cost more in actual dollars but will save you quite a bit of time. If you are already invested in another auto test system and have no other reasons for switching then you would not want to switch from what you have.

Last edited:

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The owner of Coralvue just confirmed the price at $1200. Proprietary reagents that only they will produce. They claimed they wanted to control availability. Yet they can't keep anything in stock anywhere.

looks like i am not getting a MAVEN, and will probably stick to my trident + abcreagent + hanna's

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, how often does the average reefer need to test anything (excluding temperature)?

If your tank is "stable", is testing daily a necessity?

If your tank is not "stable", then test more frequently. Possibly daily, but is testing multiple times a day a necessity?

From a price comparison stand point, no automated tester from any manufacturer will ever make sense over manual tests.

For me, an automated tester would add convenience. The Maven would also add redundancy to my current controller.

Would it make financial sense, no way.
If your running a full sps tank... for me and many others...yes automated testing is more a necessity and not so much a luxury...especially if we have quite a bit invested in sps corals already...a $670 investment for the "average" reefer is doable...but @ $1200...thats a tough pill to swallow....

However..to each his own...

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
looks like i am not getting a MAVEN, and will probably stick to my trident + abcreagent + hanna's

Pretty much the same for me. I have been trying to justify the switch. But I can fix most if not all of my Apex issues with a hardwire for internet. You can't beat the cost of ABC Reagents and using hanna for the occassional test of Nitrate and Phosphate.

I also am not a big fan of CoralVue customer service/smugness.

Last edited:

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Guess i'll hunt aliexpress, and wait for the Marvin, from CoralSight at half the price. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
(intended as sarcasm to lighten the tension)

The $1200 price point isn't awful IMO. Its essentially the same as both of the Tridents together but the Maven does more.

BUT I think they would have tripled their sales if they did $999.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $1200 price point isn't awful IMO. Its essentially the same as both of the Tridents together but the Maven does more.

BUT I think they would have tripled their sales if they did $999.

to be honest id probably still buy it at 1199 if the reagents were not under coalvue's tight control.

I remember reading about the horrors when people could not source ABC reagents from neptune before ABCreagents came out.

Its the "Must buy from coralvue" and "under tight control" aspect that has me majorly turned off.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back