Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there anyway to wall mount the scrubber and have the lines feed the sump
Yes, you don't need to remove the heat sinks after it's installed, so you can place it flat against a wall. The fins stick out about 1/2" from the base so there should still be room for convection, but you might want to give it another 1/2" just for good measure.

If you mount it very high above the sump (long drain) you will want a more beefy control valve. You can also downsize the pipe for long drops as the longer water column will pull more flow, so you can go down to a 1" pipe and then the valves are cheaper. I would use a gate valve if you're dropping more than say 24"

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine likes to grow chaeto algae. I'm not complaining though. Its a macro and the DT is algae free. Here is 3 weeks growth.
IMG_4340.JPG
That looks like 100% chaeto, not just GHA with chaeto growing mixed in with it...that's kinda weird! I wonder if it will shift over time. That is one of the things that I would really like to know about - what determines the type of growth you are going to get...

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year Bud,
Well today I did my first cleaning of the ATS. It's been running 6 weeks at the lowest light intensity for 12 hours a day (midnight to noon) on a 125 with:

A mixed reef of mostly LPS, some SPS and:
4 Anthias
4 Wrasses
3 Cardinals
2 Tangs
2 Clowns
2 Gobies
1 Blenny
fed approximately 3-4 cubes a day between a auto feeder, frozen and sheet algae.
Here are pictures of the production

20170101_154418.jpg

20170101_155509.jpg

20170101_162535.jpg

I don't have a scale so I don't know how much it weighs. There was some good coverage on the false bottom as well.
My questions are:
1) what do you think about the growth at this point?
2) did I over clean the screen
3) how much can I turn the lights up?
4) how long can I increase the photo period?

Thank you, Phil

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Phil! When you say "lowest setting" do you mean 11:00 (all the way clockwise)? I recommend starting out at 6:00 or about 50%...just wanted to clarify

Don't judge growth too much at this point, but I would say if you're not at 6:00, increase it to that, and extend the hours more, like to 16-18

I don't think you over-cleaned, but you don't want to go much more than 16-18 days between cleanings in just about any instance, with the exception of the initial break-in period (where you let it grow until you have appreciable growth, which is definitely where you are at)

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Phil! When you say "lowest setting" do you mean 11:00 (all the way clockwise)? I recommend starting out at 6:00 or about 50%...just wanted to clarify
Don't judge growth too much at this point, but I would say if you're not at 6:00, increase it to that, and extend the hours more, like to 16-18
I don't think you over-cleaned, but you don't want to go much more than 16-18 days between cleanings in just about any instance, with the exception of the initial break-in period (where you let it grow until you have appreciable growth, which is definitely where you are at)

Good to hear!
Yes, the dial has been all the way clockwise, I'll move it to "six".
I'll increase time to 18 hours and I'll start cleaning every Sunday.

Thanks Bud!

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear!
Yes, the dial has been all the way clockwise, I'll move it to "six".
I'll increase time to 18 hours and I'll start cleaning every Sunday.

Thanks Bud!
You don't necessarily need to clean weekly. In most cases, it's better to let it grow for a longer period, 10-14 days maybe.
2 weeks growth! This scrubber is awesome!
1483318751172.jpg
1483318756983.jpg
1483318761673.jpg
What are your light settings (hours & intensity)?

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't necessarily need to clean weekly. In most cases, it's better to let it grow for a longer period, 10-14 days maybe.
Ok, I'll go with that plan.
When will I need to turn light intensity up again?

Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hrs on/off. I think it's at "six". Have to double check.
If memory serves me correctly, that's a decent sized system, right? I would bump the timer to 18 hours and intensity to 4 o'clock

Ok, I'll go with that plan.
When will I need to turn light intensity up again?

Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated!
As long as you don't get "reversal" of growth / production, you can bump the intensity up by 1 every growth cycle. When you get to 2 o'clock then wait 2 growth cycles before bumping up. Also try to extend hours out before intensity, so get to 20 hours at 4 o'clock before going to higher intensity.

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Floyd R Turbo Finally got this setup on my tank.

IMG_7285.JPG
IMG_7286.JPG

The two shots below are both sides of the screen. This is the first cleaning after 10 days.
IMG_7287.JPG
IMG_7288.JPG

I was running the leds at the lowest setting for 12 hours a day and saw above to put the dial at 6 o'clock instead. I plan to bump the time to 14 hours/day and move the dial to 6. For the next 14 days.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice!

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am intrigued by these algae scrubbers but have zero experience with one. So, excuse me if I sound ignorant....

1. How is the (X) amount of cubes per day calculated?
2. Are there any measurements of nutrient levels before and after running one of these?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Floyd R Turbo Finally got this setup on my tank.

IMG_7285.JPG
IMG_7286.JPG

The two shots below are both sides of the screen. This is the first cleaning after 10 days.
IMG_7287.JPG
IMG_7288.JPG

I was running the leds at the lowest setting for 12 hours a day and saw above to put the dial at 6 o'clock instead. I plan to bump the time to 14 hours/day and move the dial to 6. For the next 14 days.
Going to 6 o'clock from the 11 o'clock position should make quite a big difference. Regarding your growth, at that level of growth you would just want to clean gently - run it under room-temp tap water and rub with fingertips (you may not even need to do that) and that's about it. You want to leave all the GHA you have on there.

I am intrigued by these algae scrubbers but have zero experience with one. So, excuse me if I sound ignorant....

1. How is the (X) amount of cubes per day calculated?
2. Are there any measurements of nutrient levels before and after running one of these?
The cube-equivalent calculation is really a rough estimate.

The cube-equivalent is defined as any ONE of the following:

1 frozen cube
10 pinches of flake food
10 square inches (60 sq cm) of nori
0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food
3.25 mL of liquid coral food

I don't know that anyone has catalogued all the examples of before and after

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bud my scrubber has been off line for about six weeks, I was using Vibrant. now I'm ready to restart, I was at 5 o'clock and 18 hours. Do I restart there or restart like it hasn't been on line AT ALL?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do with your screen while you were using vibrant, and what does it look like now? I'm assuming you had growth on it at some point? Trying to determine if you need to vinegar/soak the screen and "really" start over or what not.....

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen was kept in a zip lock baggie moist. looks like it did after the mild cleaning I did before putting it in the baggie, very similar to the one in the about post 537. I took it out and rinsed it in mild running tap water. a few tiny clumps of green came off

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing you meant 549?

As long as you didn't let it dry out, because then whatever is there end up becoming hard and encrusted, and algae doesn't seem to like to re-grow off that (like when you "cook" your screen after losing a pump or forgetting to turn it on)

I think you're good to go. Start like new, 9-12 hours at 6 o'clock.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back