Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very jealous I have been patiently waiting for my L8 I am in Group 1 non-urgent, not quite sure what that means from a delivery standpoint.
Working on light fixtures for one batch right now. My main struggle is work and family taking up a lot of time. The occasional illness seems to get thrown in there as well

I've adopted the batch process but I need to scale back the batch sizes by about half. Which will start with the next batch

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3826.JPG
I see we have similar setups. Which RO skimmer is that and is that the 4" or 6" waste collector?

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another upgrade as well - the drain valve - which takes time to fabricate so right now that's all on the back burner, but if you're in need ASAP let me know
I'm curious, is this a different than the syringe setup? If so do you have details of it and when may they be available?
Thanks Bud, Phil

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything, I'm going to develop the idea into an injection part and make it adaptable to different pipe sizes, and add a tube/during holder

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bud I got a question. I took my ATS off line for about a month and used vibrant, water cleared glass algae cleared, then Put my ATS(L4) back on line and its been running for 3-4 weeks, first two weeks 12 hour light intensity at 6, then I increased to 18 hours after a light cleaning, now increasing light intensity to 5 oclock but in this past week have noticed large outbreak of Hair algae in the display tank. Is this normal? any suggestions?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at it's core, Vibrant is 95% bacteria. Theoretically, you really should be able to run the scrubber while you're dosing vibrant. The scrubber provides the ideal place for algae, a lot better than in your tank. I don't know if Vibrant would totally inhibit the scrubber growth, but I would think that it would not decimate it. But, not having tried it and not really hearing from anyone that has, I would think that worst case you would dial back the intensity of the scrubber during treatment so that you don't cause photosaturation.

I don't want to get into a debate about Vibrant and how it works, there's a whole thread for that. I also don't want to try and counter any claims - honestly, I only know bits and pieces about the product, but if it is mainly bacteria, my logical brain would say the added bacteria via Vibrant are outcompeting the algae for nutrients somehow. Take away the bacteria, take away the competition. Seems like the core issue in either case is the nutrient source possibly?

So then - questions:

How old is your tank?

How old is your rock?

Have you ever had a period of really high nutrients?

How was the scrubber growing when you took it offline?

Why did you take the scrubber offline (guessing, tank algae didn't appear to be affected?)

When did the outbreak start, originally?

Might have more questions.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 month old tank
growth on scrubber before vibrant was good, used vibrant for awhile to clear water column
never high nutrients, i do feed heavy
took it off line because I though it wouldn't produce and that vibrant might concentrate efforts on scrubber more so than display tank
noticed Hair algae in last week, after I had put scrubber back on line for about 3 weeks. stopped dosing vibrant
when i put scrubber back on line
rocks are pukani 18 months or more in age, acid cleaned and cured in vats and used LC to rid of PO4
thank for your rapid response

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know!

11 month old tank
growth on scrubber before vibrant was good, used vibrant for awhile to clear water column
never high nutrients, i do feed heavy
took it off line because I though it wouldn't produce and that vibrant might concentrate efforts on scrubber more so than display tank
noticed Hair algae in last week, after I had put scrubber back on line for about 3 weeks. stopped dosing vibrant
when i put scrubber back on line
rocks are pukani 18 months or more in age, acid cleaned and cured in vats and used LC to rid of PO4
thank for your rapid response
Well...you did just about everything that "they" say you should....I would kick the scrubber into high gear as soon as you can, watch the cleanings (don't over clean) and maybe start in with the vibrant again, at a lower dosage maybe?

The thoughts being that the scrubber has conditions that are too good for vibrant to affect, but in the tank - it will hamper the growth.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my L4 and it's awesome. You can tell Bud really did his homework on this scrubber. Now just figuring how I'm going to plumb it in. I'll probably take my BR83 offline since the L4 will out perform it hands down. If you're in the market for a scrubber, give Bud a shout, his units are par none!! I'll post in the thread as soon as I get it up and going.
Thx again Bud for getting me hooked up!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back