Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing you meant 549?

As long as you didn't let it dry out, because then whatever is there end up becoming hard and encrusted, and algae doesn't seem to like to re-grow off that (like when you "cook" your screen after losing a pump or forgetting to turn it on)

I think you're good to go. Start like new, 9-12 hours at 6 o'clock.

It remained moist and I meant post 573 as a comparison to how it looks now. Got it thanks a lot

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy balls of algae... I love this ATS!

20170201_194332.jpg

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty good for the 2nd cleaning, what are your light set at (duration & intensity)?

What size tank?

How much do you feed?

I do have the revised End Cover Plates, I just haven't had time to get around to sending them all out to everyone. I have another upgrade as well - the drain valve - which takes time to fabricate so right now that's all on the back burner, but if you're in need ASAP let me know

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty good for the 2nd cleaning, what are your light set at (duration & intensity)?

What size tank?

How much do you feed?

I do have the revised End Cover Plates, I just haven't had time to get around to sending them all out to everyone. I have another upgrade as well - the drain valve - which takes time to fabricate so right now that's all on the back burner, but if you're in need ASAP let me know
After the first cleaning 1/8, I bumped the light to the 6 o'clock position with the duration still at 12 hours. After a week I bumped it to the 5 o'clock position. After another week I increased the duration to 16 hours. I inspected the screen and decided to wait on cleaning for another week. I bumped the light to the 5 o'clock position and the duration to 18hours for another week. A total of 4 weeks passed from 1st clean to second clean 2/5 and I plan to bump the light to the 4 o'clock position.

This unit is on an 80g system.

I feed 1 to 2 cube equivalent daily.

It isn't an emergency on the end plates. They are a little finicky to get reset. I am unable to tune my drain to a full syphon. Is this the reason for the drain valve upgrade?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unable to tune my drain to a full syphon. Is this the reason for the drain valve upgrade?
Yes, the inline drain has a few quirks, typically at lower flow rates where it doesn't close off enough. Also the consistency I was able to get with the exact angle of the thumbscrew was poor, and the thumbscrew swells and seizes in the hole over time.

I would do a couple things:

1) Not sure what your after-cleaning screen looks like, but when harvesting, just pick off the growth by hand. If you use the scraper, just lightly "drag" it (vs "chiseling") and try to leave 25% or more of the algae on the screen. Just thin it out rather than "cleaning".

2) Don't go much more than 18 days between harvest. I stick to 14 days usually, give or take a few days. Over 18 and you can get shading that results in all the algae detaching, and then it takes longer to bounce back. Go shorter, leave more on, it bounces back faster (and you get the same net amount of growth, but more consistent function)

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the inline drain has a few quirks, typically at lower flow rates where it doesn't close off enough. Also the consistency I was able to get with the exact angle of the thumbscrew was poor, and the thumbscrew swells and seizes in the hole over time.

I would do a couple things:

1) Not sure what your after-cleaning screen looks like, but when harvesting, just pick off the growth by hand. If you use the scraper, just lightly "drag" it (vs "chiseling") and try to leave 25% or more of the algae on the screen. Just thin it out rather than "cleaning".

2) Don't go much more than 18 days between harvest. I stick to 14 days usually, give or take a few days. Over 18 and you can get shading that results in all the algae detaching, and then it takes longer to bounce back. Go shorter, leave more on, it bounces back faster (and you get the same net amount of growth, but more consistent function)
After checking the screen at 14 days it really didn't need to be cleaned. So I let it go another 14. I will leave more algae on the screen next time. I took too much off. I tried dragging the scraper but nothing would come off so I scraped the screen and removed probably 95% of the algae. Next time I will follow your procedure above. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully left / counter-clockwise (should be the arrow on the knob at 12 o'clock)

It's a radio taper potentiometer, so it works opposite of a standard one. It's more linear than a standard one, which is why I use it.

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully left / counter-clockwise (should be the arrow on the knob at 12 o'clock)

It's a radio taper potentiometer, so it works opposite of a standard one. It's more linear than a standard one, which is why I use it.[/
Ok, I'll keep ramping it up until it is maxed out. Thanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back