Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bud! I'm running the ATS 18 hours per day at the 6 o' clock position, I'm getting a fair amount of growth , should I leave it where it is ?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bud! I'm running the ATS 18 hours per day at the 6 o' clock position, I'm getting a fair amount of growth , should I leave it where it is ?
As you get better/thicker growth, you can continue to increase hours and intensity as long as the growth doesn't start to "reverse". If you are running pretty lean on nutrients, feed conservatively, have a lot of other filtration in the mix, then you just want to make slow changes.

Usually the 6 0'clock position is good for the first 2-4 weeks, but as soon as you start to get nice even growth, you can kick up the intensity to 5 o'clock pretty safely, regardless of hours.

In some systems, your algae will grow fine regardless of intensity. But others might find that there is a sort of "maximum" intensity that, if you go much past that, the growth will start to revert, slow, weaken, change, etc. If you hit that point, that is what I call a "set point". That means that your system an only supply a certain amount of nutrients to the algae, and if you up the intensity, there's too much light energy for the algae to be able to adsorb, so you get weird effects. So if this happens, back down the intensity and try extending the duration

Duration seems to have less impact on the growth changes described above (related to too much intensity). What I mean by that is that if you DO have a "set point" on intensity, usually you can extend the duration to the max and you won't see those weird growth effects.

This all has to do with the rate of nutrient delivery and the rate of nutrient adsorption. If you think about it in terms of rates, your algae can only grow (in some cases) according to the nutrients available. You control this to a certain extent through factors like feeding, type of livestock, and flow rate to the scrubber. Next, the algae will be dependent on the light it is provided in order to adsorb these nutrients. So if you have too much light (think of the dimming as increasing/decreasing the "energy" level provided) then you have an imbalance of energy, and the excess can cause issues with growth. But if you have a "balance" of energy/light and nutrients delivery, then you can stay at that balanced state all day, at least over the short term.

Running the lights for a long daily photoperiod for an extended duration can eventually result in nutrient depletion to the point where you will start to see weird growth effects, but that generally takes a lot longer to happen. It's a lot easier to "hit a wall" with high intensity than it is with long duration at a lower intensity.

So that's a really long answer to your question lol....

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any strides coming on your nano line?

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bud,
Quick question, I know it's by the amount fed, but in a new build I will have a +/- 180 gallon tank with cheato in the fuge with some rubble, deltec skimmer. Stocking will consist of foxface, purple tang, various wrasses, gobies and some anthias. Do you think the L2 is suffcient or do I need to bump up the L4? I want to avoid carbon dosing and gfo with a mixed reef but would like to get some nice sps going.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on a trip for a few weeks out of the country but will need an L4 soon. Not a massive rush, just curious on the lead time. If it's a few weeks, then add me to the list.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bud,
Quick question, I know it's by the amount fed, but in a new build I will have a +/- 180 gallon tank with cheato in the fuge with some rubble, deltec skimmer. Stocking will consist of foxface, purple tang, various wrasses, gobies and some anthias. Do you think the L2 is suffcient or do I need to bump up the L4? I want to avoid carbon dosing and gfo with a mixed reef but would like to get some nice sps going.
I'd go with the L4

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scrubber is the loudest thing in my tank. I've tried adjusting the screw but it is pretty dang hard to turn these days. Has anybody been successful at making their scrubber silent?

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cleaned my L4 , growth is amazing! I will be sure to post pics next ,Ive also noticed that my skimmer takes alot longer to produce the same amount of skimmate , I already have it running 18 hours now I plan to reduce it some more to 12hours!

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my absence, work demands have resulted in me having to literally stop doing anything that isn't work or family related (including even reading forum threads, not kidding...) since the end of February. Literally, I've been clocking 70 hours/week on one project, and it's only just now spinning down to a manageable amount of time.

Bud,
I'd go with the L4
L4 would be the safe bet, but check out this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sizing.262896/

Going on a trip for a few weeks out of the country but will need an L4 soon. Not a massive rush, just curious on the lead time. If it's a few weeks, then add me to the list.
If you aren't already on the list, my best guess for wait time is 4 months.

My scrubber is the loudest thing in my tank. I've tried adjusting the screw but it is pretty dang hard to turn these days. Has anybody been successful at making their scrubber silent?
I have revised the screw-valve, because of what you are seeing - the nylon screw expands and seizes up and you can't turn it. I will try to get you a replacement valve ASAP (shoot me an email on the support ticket system to remind me please)

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my absence, work demands have resulted in me having to literally stop doing anything that isn't work or family related (including even reading forum threads, not kidding...) since the end of February. Literally, I've been clocking 70 hours/week on one project, and it's only just now spinning down to a manageable amount of time.

L4 would be the safe bet, but check out this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sizing.262896/

If you aren't already on the list, my best guess for wait time is 4 months.

I have revised the screw-valve, because of what you are seeing - the nylon screw expands and seizes up and you can't turn it. I will try to get you a replacement valve ASAP (shoot me an email on the support ticket system to remind me please)
4 months..I guess I should add myself to the list then. How would I go about doing so?
*Disregard: just saw the info on page 1

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey bud, I sent a ticket for a L4 and the support brackets as well. Just curious did you get it? I'm paranoid that i'm not getting through with the order. peter chan, richmond california. I haven't got any replies from you so I thought I'd ask. Just let me know if i'm on the list or if I have to resubmit the ticket/order.. thanks

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bud, same as the guy above, I know that you are slammed, so no rush, got the auto response ticket 609. Just wanted to make sure I was on the list. John Hellrung, Hollywood Florida
Thanks

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get all emails, I have no junk filters, but I haven't had any time (again) this past week to go through and even get a quick reply out to all new tickets. I will be doing this today

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been waiting 6 months, can anyone recommend another brand?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back