Invert Show-Off Thread!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul87
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
My P. ciliata mantis shrimp, Faye. This is her on her first day
EypYzML.jpg


And a video of her taking down a ghost shrimp (warning: audio is a tad loud)

Very cool. Is a "hammer" type of mantis? They are so cool. I always enjoyed watching the "spearing" type that mantis man had up. Things just don't stand a chance against them.
 
Very cool. Is a "hammer" type of mantis? They are so cool. I always enjoyed watching the "spearing" type that mantis man had up. Things just don't stand a chance against them.
It's a spearer, although it is a "false" spearer (hence the "pseudo" in "pseudosquilla"). Smashers as a whole seem to have evolved from primitive spearers, and this branch evolved spears again. This means that it has a similar build and behavior to a smasher. It actively hunts, focuses on shrimp and small fish, and doesn't get longer than 4". I don't think I saw mantis man's setup, but I'm guessing they were L. maculata? If so then yeah, those guys really are powerhouses.
 
8ead933c238ca6c438bd4220229eee26.jpg


This beautiful little fellow was the reason I got into SW. I accidentally brought him home in a sea shell from Jamaica. He passed away almost 4 months ago. Rest in peace Ya'mon.
 
It's a spearer, although it is a "false" spearer (hence the "pseudo" in "pseudosquilla"). Smashers as a whole seem to have evolved from primitive spearers, and this branch evolved spears again. This means that it has a similar build and behavior to a smasher. It actively hunts, focuses on shrimp and small fish, and doesn't get longer than 4". I don't think I saw mantis man's setup, but I'm guessing they were L. maculata? If so then yeah, those guys really are powerhouses.
Here is the particular one. He's a monster. Lol. Yours is pretty cool though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new