Inverts to stir sand bed

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting to know what inverts people prefer for stirring their sand bed. I have mostly been looking at sand sifting starfish or a few conchs. What are some recommended inverts to do this job, my tank is a 125 with a sand bed that is several inches deep.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tiger pistol shrimp does a great job, but does mess up corals and rocks that are on the sandbed, so be careful.
I was trying to avoid anything that would disturb corals, that why I was ruling out any fish that sift through the sand. Doesn't pistol shrimp normally just dig a home and then stop going through the sand? I obviously don't know much about any of the sand dwelling inverts.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to avoid anything that would disturb corals, that why I was ruling out any fish that sift through the sand. Doesn't pistol shrimp normally just dig a home and then stop going through the sand? I obviously don't know much about any of the sand dwelling inverts.
if thats the case then sand sifting stars, snails, and conches would do a terrific job!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like to dig a burrow, but they never seem to be finished. They are always redecorating and playing with the sandbed. Very fun, but may flip some frags along the way.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a lot of the small ceriths in the past but rarely did I see them in the sand bed, although to be fair I'm not sure exactly where they went during the day. Are certain types of ceriths more likely to bury into the sand bed than others?
I did order a bunch of nassarius snails once too but unfortunately they didn't survive the shipping and I never bothered to re order any more.
Do conchs stay at the surface of the sand or bury down into it?

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read that about stars, but it makes me wonder if one in a 125g that is several years old could support it? I also read that they get pretty big at around a foot wide.
Is there any concern in disturbing this bed at this point? I know we'll established DSB can cause issues if they haven't been disturbed in a while.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any concern in disturbing this bed at this point? I know we'll established DSB can cause issues if they haven't been disturbed in a while.
I don't think its mature enough for that to be an issue. Plus I do have a few engineer gobies that make tunnels under the sand and it hasn't been an issue. So I guess when I said I don't want fish I kind of specifically meant gobies that sift the sand and can spread it to corals.
You do bring up a very good point though, and is something that has to be considered.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nass sails live in the sand , conch , I have two and one is always in the sand and the other isn’t lol

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pistols almost always dig their burrows, and don't really leave the sand bed

Some hermits could help (electric blue maybe?)

a feather duster because feather dusters are awesome

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read that about stars, but it makes me wonder if one in a 125g that is several years old could support it? I also read that they get pretty big at around a foot wide.
sand stars? not that ive heard. they eat super fast though. Youll need a big strong population of amphipods

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't even considered a cucumber.
they clean amazing, they look amazing, and if your not careful, the kill your tank amazingly fast. some less so than others, but be careful when using cukes, they can become nukes

as a wise rambler once said, "you slumber, a cucumber"

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back