Iodine

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone dose Iodine into their tank? If so, how often and how much?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you think the benefits are and do you see them to those that do dose?

Sorry Kigs for the extra questions...

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries Rev, that was my next question in line actually.

reef-lover, and sinnermf; how big are your systems? also how heavy is your tank stocked?

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't, and would never recommend people dose iodine.

1. It is fatal to different animals, and we don't know what those levels are even if you could get an accurate test.

2. Because the iodine is used up from the water column almost immediately, there is no way to accurately test or measure for it. It's a lot like phosphates, when you hear about those people with algae in their tank but their test kits all show 0. We know they have phospates because you have to have it for algae to grow, but since it's used up by the alae so fast there really isn't an accurate way to test.

Jeremy, have you used Iodine in the past and saw negative outcome? I thought it would be a bit different case than phosphate since Iodine is one of the essential elements for most softies, but I'm taking every precaution before using it...I did read many of the softie-dominated tank owners recommending dosing Iodine however.

On another note, I just got a big stain of Iodine on my pinky...how long does it usually take for this ugly stain to come out? :mad:

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a drop or two of Lugols in my 92 gal every so often (maybe once a week if that). I can't say I see any effects one way or another.

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the benefits.I have been putting a full eye dropper in once a month for about 4 years...240 gal.tankheavily stocked

Chong

The Chronic Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey vince, I dose with iodine 1x a week and really havent noticed any bad effects from using it. I did notice though that my palys were alot bigger than others but not exactly sure if that is the reason.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 2 drops of Lugol's last night. Hopefully it will outweigh any negatives with more positives in the long run. Thank you for all the input guys :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good Luck bro! Let us know how it goes.

Hey btw what are you having trouble with?

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm slowly getting addicted to collecting yumas and rics - I just read in a thread by Flricordea that iodine helps/promote growth so I figured I'd give it a try. If it makes my palys and zoas bigger and healthier in the process, that'd be cool too :D

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Iodine and have been for years, but just a few drops at a time of Lugol. The main reason that I use iodine is to help out my shrimp. They need the iodine after they shed to help their new skin.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing iodine once a week will definitely help softies and inverts. It's a trace element that is needed by them. Certainly high levels are toxic, but too low a level is nearly as bad. I tend to rely more on regular water changes for my iodine. Heavy protein skimming will quickly remove any iodine you add to the tank.

reef-lover

Reef Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my softy tank is 40 gallons and is heavily stocked. I've been dosing iodine for about 6 months regularly,but, I also change 10% water a week. I notice, in my tank, iodine gets everything PLUMP, also I haven't lost a colony of zoas since I've been dosing, even the melting-prone caribbean blues seem to do real well. Just my experience.

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted to know about iodine too. I am going to have a zoa dominated tank and it will be invert heavy so they will benefit as well. I doubt that I would really need to dose though since my tank is only 10g so water changes should be enough.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back