ION Director - measuring Ca + Mg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I test alk & PO4 then No3 and the others ALKasionally..;)

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit, I was not excited when I first saw this product being discussed. Since I do balanced 2-part dosing I almost never test calcium anyway. I test magnesium slightly more often than calcium but not regularly. However, you get this thing to test PO4 and NO3? That is a game changer. It took awhile for me to trust my KH Director but I have that locked in now. You give me the ability to test PO4 and NO3 automatically and I won't do any testing at all during the week. To me, that is huge. I'd take those 2 tests over Ca and Mg any day of the week!
I completely agree I can take or leave Ca and Mg, and test infrequently but PO4 and NO3 are game changers and IMHO should be a higher priority for GHL and would really differentiate them from the competition

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does exceptional work https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ghl-mounting-solution-by-elder1945.571482/#post-5841571
20190226_145442-jpg.1010720
Man this thing is awesome! how do I get one :p

Lol

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree I can take or leave Ca and Mg, and test infrequently but PO4 and NO3 are game changers and IMHO should be a higher priority for GHL and would really differentiate them from the competition

That’s what my money is waiting for is something that’ll measure PO4 and nitrates. Would be even better if it’ll dose your preferred carbon source with some accuracy. Reefbot is out of the picture.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this thing is awesome! how do I get one :p
Sorry I took the keys, I only meant to borrow it.:p
FyI I an going to try something like this in a new red sea, only I want to hinge it on one side to access the back

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what my money is waiting for is something that’ll measure PO4 and nitrates. Would be even better if it’ll dose your preferred carbon source with some accuracy. Reefbot is out of the picture.

Just btw, I heard they are working on a doser to go with their reefbot. No idea on what that timeline might be though.

It would be nice if its going to be possible to pair the GHL Nitrate/phosphate probes with both the ION and KH director, since it seems a lot of people may prefer to monitor just alkalinity and nutrient export. I’d probably go that route to start if it were an option.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just btw, I heard they are working on a doser to go with their reefbot. No idea on what that timeline might be though.

It would be nice if its going to be possible to pair the GHL Nitrate/phosphate probes with both the ION and KH director, since it seems a lot of people may prefer to monitor just alkalinity and nutrient export. I’d probably go that route to start if it were an option.

I have a serious concern with the longevity of the Reefbot.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, the ION will test Calc, Mg, NO3 and PO4 with just one sample port and reference solution.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a serious concern with the longevity of the Reefbot.
Fake it till you make It, Hey you could even Win best in Show!

If I understand correctly, the ION will test Calc, Mg, NO3 and PO4 with just one sample port and reference solution.
;Wideyed

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh okay I see now, thanks. Well scratch that idea, but at least the full setup will be a true beast of a controller.. fully in control and aware of everything that really matters.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL has a poll kicking around for people to vote on what other elements the ION Director can test, vote now or forever hold your peace.:p
I don't think the poll needs to be open any longer to confirm NO3 and PO4 are the crowd favourites.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the poll needs to be open any longer to confirm NO3 and PO4 are the crowd favourites.

I honestly didn't even think they needed a poll, the only other thing that would be of any real importance in my eyes is copper.

Would be really neat to see something like this that tested and adjusted copper for QT purposes. Sorry to go off on a tangent. But aside from that N03 and P04 are really the only other ones anyone would ever care about. And I'll be honest most probably don't care about the copper:p

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We didn't want to announce our next product, the ION Director, before we have ALL facts, especially prices and availability, and all technical details, because announcing too early can lead to unnecessary pressure and dissatisfaction - so we tried to avoid that.

BUT: So many people who knew that we are working on a solution for measuring Calcium had been asking the last weeks, we felt that it is overdue to announce now at least the most important (and already firm) facts.

This is already clear about the ION Director:
  • will measure (at least) Calcium and Magnesium
  • no reagents, works with sensors (but still needs calibration fluid)
  • several measurements per day (customizable), no permanent measurement
  • needs a Doser Standalone, ProfiLux 3 or ProfiLux 4 as a "brain" for operation, connected over ProfiLux Aquatic Bus (similar principle as KH Director)
  • needs 2 or 3 pumps (still under development): sample in/out, calibration fluid in + out
  • can also control Ca and Mg (via changing dosing amounts or switching sockets)
  • small sample amount
  • self calibrating
  • usual features as for our other measurements: alarms, graphs, etc.
  • will be shown at Macna 2019
  • sales start November 2019
No final information about prices yet. No details about the probes resp. their lifetime can be announced at this point.
Our main goals are to have very accurate readings, long probe lifetime and reasonably priced replacement probes. We are working hard with our probe vendor on that.

Our tests are extremely promising, this is how it will look like (maybe changes in details):
IonDirector.jpg

More details ASAP!

Can't wait, comrade

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

haven't written here for a longer time for a good reason, I justed wanted to see how my experiments go.
It seems that Nitrate works, but Phosphate seems a problem since the concentrations are usually very low in our marine water tanks. In general it is possible to measure, but these small values give not a sufficient accuracy.
What do you think - is Nitrate enough or is Phosphate a must-have? Maybe we start with the rest and add Phosphate later when we are OK with the results.

Furthermore I am working on getting the costs down, especially the recurring costs.

Please excuse the recent silence, just don't want to announce uncertain things.

Even when I don't comment everything: Please continue to discuss here, your thoughts and concerns are very appreciated and welcome, this helps me to develop the right product, I read all posts here.

doodguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

haven't written here for a longer time for a good reason, I justed wanted to see how my experiments go.
It seems that Nitrate works, but Phosphate seems a problem since the concentrations are usually very low in our marine water tanks. In general it is possible to measure, but these small values give not a sufficient accuracy.
What do you think - is Nitrate enough or is Phosphate a must-have? Maybe we start with the rest and add Phosphate later when we are OK with the results.

Furthermore I am working on getting the costs down, especially the recurring costs.

Please excuse the recent silence, just don't want to announce uncertain things.

Even when I don't comment everything: Please continue to discuss here, your thoughts and concerns are very appreciated and welcome, this helps me to develop the right product, I read all posts here.

Mathias, I'm battling phosphates now if you need a beta tester. I personally think phosphates/ nitrates are important to monitor so that we can leverage the ion director like kh director to maybe help control it turn off protein skimmer, dose something to buffer etc..

tdhnry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Maybe we start with the rest and add Phosphate later when we are OK with the results."

I think most people would be happy with this.

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think testing nitrate would be an awesome addition! Honestly, I think to much emphasis is placed on testing Po4. That being said I do test it myself,just not as much as everyone else.

If it was an addition later to the ION Director I would be totally fine with that.

Thanks so much for everything you do! This is going to be amazing!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back