IOND Costs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched several IOND YouTube videos. It seems that the cost for buying and operating the unit is:
$899 for the initial purchase
2 x ~$130 for the probes (they last about 6 months, so 2 a year)
8 x $30 in reagents (2 reagents, each reagent is ~$30 and they last about 3 months)

So by my calculations ~$1400 the 1st year and $500 per year thereafter.

Do I have this right?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The probe was listed as lasting at least 6 months, so assuming 2 a year is probably high for most. Maybe assume 1.5/yr (3 every two years)? We should also wait and see what the reagent duration is. I know Trident advertises 3 months but they never last that long for me.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite.

Please watch the RAP Orlando video again and notice how the probe life is minimum 6 months and NOT "about 6 months". Big difference.

Your sensor cost calculation assumes the sensor will last exactly 6 months and does not consider several factors which play a role in the life span of the sensor. The calculation also does not take into account a very important aspect of the IOND measurement process; the sensor performance check feature.

The sensor performance check will tell you when its time to consider replacing the sensor. It takes the guess work out of assuming when to replace which means sensor costs will vary from user to user depending on water quality. The more organics and nutrients, the more wear it puts on the sensor. Assuming the sample water contains very high organics, the probe will age quicker, still minimum 6 months.

Reagent costs are solely dependent on how many times the user chooses to test and what mode is chosen.
The cost per test can be a little as 0.48 cents.

Because every tank's water quality and user's goals will vary, calculating running costs is not as black and white as your numbers would suggest.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite.

Please watch the RAP Orlando video again and notice how the probe life is minimum 6 months and NOT "about 6 months". Big difference.

Your sensor cost calculation assumes the sensor will last exactly 6 months and does not consider several factors which play a role in the life span of the sensor. The calculation also does not take into account a very important aspect of the IOND measurement process; the sensor performance check feature.

The sensor performance check will tell you when its time to consider replacing the sensor. It takes the guess work out of assuming when to replace which means sensor costs will vary from user to user depending on water quality. The more organics and nutrients, the more wear it puts on the sensor. Assuming the sample water contains very high organics, the probe will age quicker, still minimum 6 months.

Reagent costs are solely dependent on how many times the user chooses to test and what mode is chosen.
The cost per test can be a little as 0.48 cents.

Because every tank's water quality and user's goals will vary, calculating running costs is not as black and white as your numbers would suggest.

I would argue that my costs aren't precise, but a realistic example of what it might cost to purchase and operate.

So what would be your estimate for my yearly operating cost for 4 tests a day for my ULN system?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue that my costs aren't precise, but a realistic example of what it might cost to purchase and operate.

So what would be your estimate for my yearly operating cost for 4 tests a day for my ULN system?
There's no straight answer to that question. I don't know how your nutrient levels change on a daily basis or what your maintenance routine may be like. That's something for the IOND to measure, test, and tell you when it's time to replace. A ULN system would be much more likely to get more than 6 months out of the sensor than one with very high nutrients. You may get a year or even longer.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no straight answer to that question. I don't know how your nutrient levels change on a daily basis or what your maintenance routine may be like. That's something for the IOND to measure, test, and tell you when it's time to replace. A ULN system would be much more likely to get more than 6 months out of the sensor than one with very high nutrients. You may get a year or even longer.

Awesome. How much reagent would I require for 4 tests a day. That's currently how I'm using my KHD.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't understand why one would want to test 4 times a day? I test manually once every two days. My numbers don't change in two days.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard mode
9ml per test

High precision mode
14ml per test

I'd probably go high-precision, so

14 x 4 = 56 ml of each reagent per day? To make the math a little easier 50ml per day. That's about 18 x 1000ml bottles of each per year?

So $540 of each reagent for a total of about $1080?

Hmm...that seems a little high.

I was planning on using the IOND to auto-dose based on Ca. How precise is Standard Mode for Ca?

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't understand why one would want to test 4 times a day? I test manually once every two days. My numbers don't change in two days.

It's how I controlled my Alk with my KHD. I was really able to stabilize it for my old tank. I was hoping to use the IOND similarly for other parameters

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably go high-precision, so

14 x 4 = 56 ml of each reagent per day? To make the math a little easier 50ml per day. That's about 18 x 1000ml bottles of each per year?

So $540 of each reagent for a total of about $1080?

Hmm...that seems a little high.

I was planning on using the IOND to auto-dose based on Ca. How precise is Standard Mode for Ca?

So if we instead tested once a week, we're talking 1.5 bottles a year per reagent ~$90 total.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's how I controlled my Alk with my KHD. I was really able to stabilize it for my old tank. I was hoping to use the IOND similarly for other parameters
I have a calcium reactor. That pretty much takes care of clacium, alkalinity and magnesium.
What's left? Nitrate and salinity? I don't see a way to control either of those automatically.
I'll use the IOND to make sure the calcium reactor is doing it's job. Which is how I test now. One test a day should be more than enough.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a calcium reactor. That pretty much takes care of clacium, alkalinity and magnesium.
What's left? Nitrate and salinity? I don't see a way to control either of those automatically.
I'll use the IOND to make sure the calcium reactor is doing it's job. Which is how I test now. One test a day should be more than enough.
Note that Trident requires 4 tests per day of Alk (2 for Calcium and Mag). IOND offering less than that per day is an option Tirdent users don’t have.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad math... 28ml x 52 weeks is 1456ml ...a total of about $45.

Once a day would end up costing ~$315

So with once a day testing of a ULN system, I should expect to replace the probe once ($130) and use up roughly $315 worth of reagent. So ballpark $445 a year to operate..

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with once a day testing of a ULN system, I should expect to replace the probe once ($130) and use up roughly $315 worth of reagent. So ballpark $445 a year to operate..

I guess my original $500 estimate was in the ballpark. ;)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have understand it - as long as the ion probe is wet - you can use it to test manually whenever you want - once a week or whatever. I plan to use one for testing several aquarium just as an test station. with these parameters I can´t see any reason why testing more often than once a week if everything works as it should.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t second guess yourself next time! LOL

Does the IOND require/recommend a minimum number of tests per day?

I'm really just trying to see if it will be economical to use the IOND as a controller.

Maybe, the better question is what am I looking to control with the IOND and what testing would be required to achieve stability.

I was thinking initially AFR dosing which is recommended based on Ca.

My tank currently consumes about 1dHK Alk or about 7ppm Ca per day.

So how accurate is the GHL at measuring Ca?

That would probably determine if I could use it for control and how often I would need to test.

If it was say +/- 5ppm for Ca and my Ca consumption went up from 7 to 8, a 14% increase. It would likely take up to 5-7 days to be sure there was a change. That would mean I wouldn't start correcting till I had an equivalent 1dKH drop.

That wouldn't work for me.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back