Is a Six-Line Wrasse a bad idea?

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanurus wrasse that has outgrown my 30 galloon biocube and will soon be moving to my 100 gallon reef. I want to replace him with another wrasse that helps with pest control and was thinking of maybe getting a six-line wrasse. Plenty of people say they are great community fish and completely reef safe but I've also heard horror stories of people ripping their tank apart trying to get them out. I'm looking for advice on whether I'm making a huge mistake.

U

User1

View Badges
I have a melanurus wrasse that has outgrown my 30 galloon biocube and will soon be moving to my 100 gallon reef. I want to replace him with another wrasse that helps with pest control and was thinking of maybe getting a six-line wrasse. Plenty of people say they are great community fish and completely reef safe but I've also heard horror stories of people ripping their tank apart trying to get them out. I'm looking for advice on whether I'm making a huge mistake.

Any fish is a bad idea if not properly planned. Conversely any fish is a great fish if properly planned.

I personally love the fish but one has to be aware of its needs and predatory habits with regards to hunting, hunting range, feeding requirements, and you probably get the idea by now. With that in mind no. You should not, or maybe I should say I would not, recommend a Six Line with that small of a foot print. They need more room and more live rock to hunt properly.

Your mileage may vary but my reasoning is strictly the tank size and lack of live rock surface area. It would be the equivalent of giving the Blue Angels a fly path the size of a fish bowl. Nothing good will come out of it for either party.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish is a bad idea if not properly planned. Conversely any fish is a great fish if properly planned.

I personally love the fish but one has to be aware of its needs and predatory habits with regards to hunting, hunting range, feeding requirements, and you probably get the idea by now. With that in mind no. You should not, or maybe I should say I would not, recommend a Six Line with that small of a foot print. They need more room and more live rock to hunt properly.

Your mileage may vary but my reasoning is strictly the tank size and lack of live rock surface area. It would be the equivalent of giving the Blue Angels a fly path the size of a fish bowl. Nothing good will come out of it for either party.

oh. I was under the impression that 30 gallons was large enough. maybe not then.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of pests are you concerned about? I ask because IMHO six lines, especially in a small tank, can be very aggressive and so limit the types and number of other fish you want in the tank. I had one that bullied a neon dottyback, a fish which is well known to be aggressive itself, to the point of having to remove him.

U

User1

View Badges
oh. I was under the impression that 30 gallons was large enough. maybe not then.

This is the gray area and will leave that to your interpretation. Not to be vague but some say 50 gallons minimum, others 30. Having owned one I would personally say 100 gallon minimum and I'm sure many will say that is over reacting. While I do not disagree it comes down to the inquisitive nature of the fish, how it is constantly moving, foraging, and whatever else we want to call it looking for something to eat.

When you see them they always move. Hover over a rock. Eyes scanning similar to a German Shepherds ears. It is what they do. Not enough room to do this will lead, potentially, to a ill-mannered six line that we will later hear stories about. That is why I was suggesting no while also saying possible if enough rock and space.

They really are pretty fish and are reef safe. Just need some special planning no different than say a dragon face pipe fish.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How did you come up with this, lol?
Maybe not in a very large tank. I have known 4 people that had to sump them. Now I'm curious what experience you've had? Educate me.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't mind being schooled. It's a good thing. I have passed on them so many times. I've often thought how efficient they'd be with their compact size for pests.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not in a very large tank. I have known 4 people that had to sump them. Now I'm curious what experience you've had? Educate me.
Biocube 32; one 666 line, a pair of clowns and a neon dottyback (about the same size as the 666line). Dottyback was in tank for a couple of weeks before 666 line introduced - began fighting within two days until I rehomed 666 line (he won the fight btw). Won't make that mistake again.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So like said above, 100 gallon may be a peaceful wrasse?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Perpetual Novice sorry, thank you for the opportunity to learn.
In my experience, fish guides are just that; they identify central tendencies of a particular species but individuals may behave differently, particularly given the environment you provide, e.g. lots of hiding places vs. few, aggressive or passive tank mates, etc.. Personal experiences like those posted here are valuable for sure, and have kept me from making more than one mistake.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like said above, 100 gallon may be a peaceful wrasse?

so you think if I added one to my 100 gallon it would be peaceful? I've been looking for smaller fish to add to that system. the only conflict I would envision is the 2 leopard wrasses already in the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back