Is a Six-Line Wrasse a bad idea?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for about 6 years with no issues. He was in a 40 gallon cube, with 3 clowns, a file fish, and a watchman goby. He never caused any issues and I added the clowns and the file after the six line. I now am running a much larger tank, and am debating on when or if to add him. He's currently in a 20 gallon holding system, and may end up in my frag tank for some time. But I figure he's had 6 years to show aggression and hasn't so if he goes in the show tank it will be as the las fish in.

He is an amazing fish. I enjoy how he swims constantly, on the hunt for fod, and pops in and out of small openins in the rock. Great colors as well.
Love this, 100% agree with your description of the 6 line. Constantly investigating every part of the tank!

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 line in a 28g tank, for maybe 7-8 months now. He loves it in there, and is my most peaceful fish. 2 clowns, a damsel, and a lawnmower blenny get along great with him. Never seen him do anything except be a quality and contributing member of the community. Plus, his coloration is amazing for such a little fish!
816C26A5-194D-4903-9F45-6E23C48071E0.png
I know this is an older thread, but how’s it doing now? I’ve got a Lawnmower and a Domino in my 55. How would adding a 666 line go?

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend it. I had one in an 50 g AIO and tons of live rock and community fish and he did fine. I like him because he wouldn’t let chromies or clowns bully him. The best part of caring for this fish is watching him hunt. All day.

My only concern would be sufficient copepoda. They’ll accept food, but really spend all day hunting.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had a 666 wrasse. Killed my neon dottyback, orchid dottyback, flame angel. Never i thought a fish that can be that agressive and I kept crazy fw fish like dovii, umbee and african cichlids like melanochromis.

the only other fish I can think that can match the aggressiveness of a 666 wrasse is a maroon clown.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 6 line for 4 years in a nano, was very peaceful and happy fish. Never picked on existing or new members.

I have had one that was a jerk though(only to other wrasse), but he was the fattest fish when I added him.

I recently got another and he is a little gem, super peaceful. My tip would be get the smallest one! they are very active fish, but a nano is fine. They will generally eat frozens and pellets (pellets once big enough).

They do seem to have there own unique personalities, so it's add with caution. Not all 6 lines are jerks in my experience most are very peaceful. One of my fave fish, but as for catching them. I highly recommend a fish trap and if they are eating (normally there pigs for mysis), then load the trap with food and boom easier then netting. Some times it's not always that quick so you may need to let your fish build confidence over a few days before going into the trap. If you can find one to fit your nano.

Goodluck and hope this was helpful! I really don't know we're the bad rep has come from or maybe I'm just super lucky. Regardless it's a fish I can't personally not have so it's the risk I'm willing to take!

Happy reefing

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never trust a 6-line wrasse..
Why not just go for a pink streaked wrasse? 1000 times better
If I ever see one sure. My two LFS within and hour and a half always have 6 lines. Never seen a pink streak.
Also, I don’t want a 100% peaceful fish. Again I have a DOMINO damselfish that attacks his reflection! And a lawnmower blenny that bullies HIM off rocks. If the wrasse gets bullied I’ll put out a post to rehome my peaceful 666 line. Should have plenty of bites

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever see one sure. My two LFS within and hour and a half always have 6 lines. Never seen a pink streak.
Also, I don’t want a 100% peaceful fish. Again I have a DOMINO damselfish that attacks his reflection! And a lawnmower blenny that bullies HIM off rocks. If the wrasse gets bullied I’ll put out a post to rehome my peaceful 666 line. Should have plenty of bites
The wrasse won’t be bullied… he will BE the bully. I only trust these fish in tanks with a lot of rocks in (As in stackpiles of rock). Pink streaks most likely wont be bullied and will stick up for themselves however a domino damsel will limit you to basically no other wrasses. Wrasses like pink streaks and possums don’t cope well to stress. Six lines would most likely slaughter the blenny in a matter of time (These fish are only calm as juveniles but an adult needs a lot of rock to not kill or attack others).

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse won’t be bullied… he will BE the bully. I only trust these fish in tanks with a lot of rocks in (As in stackpiles of rock). Pink streaks most likely wont be bullied and will stick up for themselves however a domino damsel will limit you to basically no other wrasses. Wrasses like pink streaks and possums don’t cope well to stress. Six lines would most likely slaughter the blenny in a matter of time (These fish are only calm as juveniles but an adult needs a lot of rock to not kill or attack others).
So… no wrasse whatsoever? Too aggressive for any other wrasse, but too peaceful for a 6 line.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So… no wrasse whatsoever? Too aggressive for any other wrasse, but too peaceful for a 6 line.
It depends how aggressive the damsel is, if he can really hold his own and be more dominant over a wrasse then you could try it. A pink streak will hold its own however it’s all about the peaceful introduction. When established the wrasse will hold its own however will be the most peaceful in the tank.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the rock, the six will eventually go ballistic towards tank mates and ANYTHING you try to add afterwards. I pulled mine after 3 tanks and 3+ years of service. Replaced it with a Melanarus, best thing I could of did. He was hounding a splendid fairly wrasse to near death, also killing off yellow tail damsels.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line is a character.. but I am starting to develop a small problem with aptisia.... as a tester.. introduced a peppermint after the lights went out... never to be seen again. My guess is there was shrimp for a late night snack.

Next plan is to ad Nudi's that have been bred in a tank away from the 6 line... and see how that goes.

all other methods seem to just spread them.. but I am following along on the laser ideas that are floating thru.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line is a character.. but I am starting to develop a small problem with aptisia.... as a tester.. introduced a peppermint after the lights went out... never to be seen again. My guess is there was shrimp for a late night snack.

Next plan is to ad Nudi's that have been bred in a tank away from the 6 line... and see how that goes.

all other methods seem to just spread them.. but I am following along on the laser ideas that are floating thru.
I have a buddy that uses the laser for aptasia, he says it's a mixed result so far. Actually spread them more so he thinks. I told him also to try the berghia.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for 2 years no issues in a nanocube with a clown and a lawnmower blenny. He didn't survive a tank crash after that so maybe it would have been worse long term. Despite my good experience I'll never get another because I have heard just too many horror stories from friends and people I trust. Aggression towards fish, hunting even equally sized cleaner shrimps, etc... A better choice, especially in a tank this size is a pink streaked wrasse IMO. Similar swimming habits and body shape, but much more peaceful and not big enough to attack ornamental inverts. Their mouth is like that of a mandarin so they can't really eat much even if their eyes did get bigger than their stomach.

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. As long as the pink streaked won’t get bullied I’m fine with it. They’re both beautiful fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the rock, the six will eventually go ballistic towards tank mates and ANYTHING you try to add afterwards. I pulled mine after 3 tanks and 3+ years of service. Replaced it with a Melanarus, best thing I could of did. He was hounding a splendid fairly wrasse to near death, also killing off yellow tail damsels.
Mine never did that and I had piles of rock in my tank with a bunch of coral too. Several blind spots from the wrasse and it worked out - Never had a wrasse murder another fish (I had several fish that used the rocks).

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 6-line in my old 75. He eventually became a butt-head, particularly to all the other butt-heads in the tank. Funny though, he never bothered fish that ignored him. I wouldn't recommend one in a smaller tank. I think they don't like their personal space invaded!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back