Is an ICP Test absolutely necessary?

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it a useful tool and “anecdotally” have seen better results since sending them regularly. Not absolutely needed- good to have

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salts that are used don't have all the trace elements need for a reef.
That suggest that folks that only perform water changes have failing reef tanks. When it's quite the contrary.

And if you can have a successful reef tank with just water changes, the question becomes, does all those trace elements that are lacking really matter?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put the same amount of effort into something else, your tank will likely have the same positive effect. It is the effort and paying attention that matters, not so much how you do it.

Specifically for ICP, they often return more questions than answer. There is never a smoking gun for any ill to a tank. ICP can be OK as a tool, but it is just a tool with a limited ability.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Salts that are used don't have all the trace elements need for a reef.

Care to share any credible info for this statement?

I’ve got well over 2 dozen ICP tests saying otherwise. There’s also 10,000+ aquariums that show this statement to be unequivocally false

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When that post was written there were 3 post added to this thread within 2 minutes of each other all in favor of ICP dispite the other post on here all saying no. My guess, someone that works for an ICP provider or a store that sales the kits.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When that post was written there were 3 post added to this thread within 2 minutes of each other all in favor of ICP dispite the other post on here all saying no. My guess, someone that works for an ICP provider or a store that sales the kits.
False assumption. I am affiliated with no one but my wife. Sort of an ironic non-scientific jump to a conclusion.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether it involves me or not. It is a jump; we’ll agree to disagree on ICPs and assumptions.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they sell the ICP tests and they said to purchase the kit and return back to them and they take care of everything.
You could ask them for a copy of the most recent ICP test results for their display tank so you would have a reference. That would show you if they really use the ICP test themselves.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd say yes if you're having issue you can't quite track down and your ICP might show heavy metals that you wouldn't be able to test for yourself.

Outside of that, perhaps an annual check to see if all looking good (no polutants) but not for number chasing.

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To everyone saying no. Bad device.
If you are a person not doing water changes. Then yes. Because you need to replenish trace elements. If not you can cause all types of problem. For instance. Dinos. If your low on iron. Iron will cause a dino out break. This is just a example.
I think better advice for this example is "Maybe think about doing water changes."

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For instance. Dinos. If your low on iron. Iron will cause a dino out break.

I've not seen evidence that this is true.

What has convinced you it is true?

FWIW, iron is an easy trace element to dose without measuring it later because it has an extremely wide range of acceptable levels.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My two cents.
ewan mcgregor what GIF by Fargo

No, it’s not necessary, but it can be used as a tool to either diagnose or make sure you are on track.

I’ve done it twice with ATI. To be honest, I did the first one because I was just over 1 year into the hobby and starting acros. The second one I just did as a 7 month check up to make sure magnets or things weren’t leaching into the tank. It’s a good piece of mind thing, but not necessary.

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That suggest that folks that only perform water changes have failing reef tanks. When it's quite the contrary.

And if you can have a successful reef tank with just water changes, the question becomes, does all those trace elements that are lacking really matter?
I am of the camp that they are not necessary. 1, because we have had reefs much longer than icp.

2. They don’t stste very well their testing methods, calibration methods, frequencies. Their vague nature alone make them untrustworthy in my opinion.

However, maybe that “unknown random just because” coral death was due to a lacking trace element.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back