Is an ICP Test absolutely necessary?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering what you all think about ICP tests - absolutely a MUST and if so, how often?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering what you all think about ICP tests - absolutely a MUST and if so, how often?
The jury is still out on the subject because two other juries are out, the one on how fussy coral are about trace element concentrations and the other on whether ICP results are precise enough to judge how much of each element to dose.

The answer to your question is “no”. I would add, but don’t neglect the subject of trace element addition. Stay open to the possibility that dosing might be the right thing to do. Whether you get ICP tests and how you use the test results is something that you will get a feel for.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised the majority of "No"s! I know my LFS was harping that I should and is a must - but the feedback shared here makes sense on why it's not a definitive "Yes".

Thanks all,
ICP is becoming the hot topic lately. Search around here as there have been quite a few ICP threads recently . Many showing they are not as accurate / reliable and many people believe. Most in depth as far as technical info is below but there are quite a few others with good info

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion is that ICP tests are just another way to try to get people on a subscription plan. They are helpful for those who don't do any water changes at all. But that shouldn't be the goal of any Reefer, imo. Some people just have the right combination of things to make it happen. For the rest of us, adequate, routine water changes are all that is required to maintain trace elements and remove unwanted ones.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my LFS was harping that I should and is a must
In that case, you have to consider the source and ask yourself, do they sell the icp test kits?

I also think that it's an acceptable answer for someone coming into an lfs and trying to get answers from the employees.

It's easier to say, "ICP" rather than, "I don't know".

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In that case, you have to consider the source and ask yourself, do they sell the icp test kits?

I also think that it's an acceptable answer for someone coming into an lfs and trying to get answers from the employees.

It's easier to say, "ICP" rather than, "I don't know".

They could say “IDK” to keep the sentence the same length. The kids today will appreciate the lingo too

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few things are absolutes in this hobby. ICP testing isn’t anywhere near mandatory.

By chance, does your LFS sell ICP tests and supplements for that ICP test?
Yes, they sell the ICP tests and they said to purchase the kit and return back to them and they take care of everything.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's a presumption in the question that they are actually useful.

While I am a chemist and I'd love to know everything about a reef tank, and I'd personally get one from a reliable company, I'll just make some comments to put the question in context.

1 Many folks who have problems turn to ICP assuming it is a chemistry problem. IME, it is fairly unusual to detect a problem by ICP that explains what is causing an apparent problem in the tank.

2. ICP may be no better than test kits for major ions such as calcium.

3. The optimal ranges most ICP companies provide seem to lack any real basis and often cause more stress than good. I am constantly telling folks that, yes, the X is high or low, but that's not any sort of concern.

4. For trace elements, ICP companies seem to totally ignore the fact that concentration is only a part of the story. if they told you that N was 1 ppm, without telling you whether it was present as N2 or ammonia or nitrate or the vibrant algaecide or whole bacteria, what could you do with the value? Same is true for many trace elements. Chemical forms matter.

5. The uncertainty of ICP results is much larger than many users assume, and ICP companies encourage this misunderstanding. IMO, they SHOULD give you a likely range (say, magnesium is between 1280 and 1350 ppm) rather than the ridiculous comment that magnesium is 1302.4 ppm.

6. ICP companies are not equally reliable.

Last edited:

Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To everyone saying no. Bad device.
If you are a person not doing water changes. Then yes. Because you need to replenish trace elements. If not you can cause all types of problem. For instance. Dinos. If your low on iron. Iron will cause a dino out break. This is just a example.

But in my opinion. Everyone should be doing IPC test every month. Salts that are used don't have all the trace elements need for a reef. And water changes on put back a small percentage. And you can catch a problem before it starts. When I first started reefing none of theys tools were available for us in this hobby. I believe everyone should take full advantage of this. And it a big learning experience.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s an old reefing mantra of ‘Don’t dose it if you can’t test for it.’ I think that is even more relevant today where so many products have varying amounts of elements most can’t or don’t test for. Ie. if you grow chaeto, dose this, or this balling solution contains these extra elements.
No two tanks are going to deplete those elements at the same rate and for each tank those rates are going to fluctuate over time. Things can get WAY out of whack without some form of monitoring.
At the very least an ICP can alert you of potential problems that you may otherwise not suspect. Maybe a rusty screw has fallen in or the coating on a magnet tore. IMO they are very useful and I hope over time we refine the process.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back