Is Ich really present in every batch of saltwater?

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard from a marine biologist that Ich is always in the water and that the fishes contract Ich if they are stressed or injured. Is this really true? And if Ich is present in all water then how do you prevent and eliminate that disease? Will a UV clarifier kill that disease?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I heard from a marine biologist that Ich is always in the water and that the fishes contract Ich if they are stressed or injured. Is this really true? And if Ich is present in all water then how do you prevent and eliminate that disease? Will a UV clarifier kill that disease?
Ich is present in many cases with livestock and quarantining is the best way to assure its Not introduced in a tank. UV sterilizers help but often address free floating protozoan that passes through unit and does not eliminate it off a fish. Stress is one reason it will overtake a fish as is poor water quality and diet

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is present in many cases with livestock and quarantining is the best way to assure its Not introduced in a tank. UV sterilizers help but often address free floating protozoan that passes through unit and does not eliminate it off a fish. Stress is one reason it will overtake a fish as is poor water quality and diet
If I want to use a UV filter what is the minimum wattage of a UV bulb that will work for a ten gallon tank?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you start a new tank with your own, mixed saltwater, seems unlikely there'd be ich (or any) parasites,,, depending on where you source your rock and how you deal with it before adding fish.

It's then your job to control what gets into your tank. (Ideally, you'd follow the "Current Quarantine Protocol" sticky thread on this site's Fish Disease forum but each individual has to make their own decisions about risk vs effort).

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I find Ich guard for saltwater aquariums?

IMG_5820.jpeg

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That marine biologist doesn't know what he is talking about lol.
This happened during my high school years when we had a field trip to the Steinhart Aquarium at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. The marine biologist said Ich is always present in the water.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I find Ich guard for saltwater aquariums?

IMG_5820.jpeg
That’s fresh water…..but nothing other than copper, hyposalinty or TTM will work, and have been documented as a treatment.

Don’t waste your money.

Kick ick is for marine, but, again, your risk.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened during my high school years when we had a field trip to the Steinhart Aquarium at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. The marine biologist said Ich is always present in the water.
He probably meant in THOSE aquariums...

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The context is obviously different here.

For sure ich exists in the ocean so any statement about being able to find the life form (Cryptocaryon, I guess) responsible for ich in a large enough sample of ocean water makes sense.

I do, personally, believe that it is possible to avoid introducing specific parasites into a reef tank with enough effort, however.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those that believe ich is present in all reef tanks to some degree and in a dormant stage due to fish immune systems. When a stress event happens fish immune systems weaken and ich takes advantage. Uv does nothing to eliminate it as does over the counter medicinal remedies either. Fallow periods allow the ich enough time without a stressed host to go dormant again . Copper in QT works in conjunction with the fish compromised immune system to get past it

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those that believe ich is present in all reef tanks to some degree and in a dormant stage due to fish immune systems. When a stress event happens fish immune systems weaken and ich takes advantage. Uv does nothing to eliminate it as does over the counter medicinal remedies either. Fallow periods allow the ich enough time without a stressed host to go dormant again . Copper in QT works in conjunction with the fish compromised immune system to get past it
I'd be interested in knowing which (if any) companies test home/hobby water for specific parasites/pathogens and what data they've compiled.

I know NOTHING about this so basically just wondering aloud.
...sorry to the OP for the tangent

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He may have been saying that ich is always present if there was never a QT, rather than ich is always present in all tanks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where is your evidence that it can go dormant again? It has a known life cycle.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Ich is in everyone's tank" is what someone says to make themselves feel better about having ich in their tank.
Can you explain how this works? :cool:
What do you say to the fish in this example?

:loudly-crying-face::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably meant for you to assume that ich was always in the water. Do not assume that anything is ever ich free unless you do it yourself.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back