Is Ich really present in every batch of saltwater?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard if fish can develop parasite immunity to ich. Not all things can develop immunity to parasites and some never do - surely this has been studied, but I have never seen results for ich.
In fact - there is vaccines developed in the fish farm industry. Here a review from 2022

Sincerely Lasse

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different wholesalers and collectors - I should say, there was surely ich on fish coming in, but with the copper quarantine, it never manifests itself into active disease for us. The 2015 case was a group of deep sea fish from Curacao. I was worried about dosing them with copper (I shouldn't have been!) and they developed severe ich. I hit them chloroquine, but that didn't work so I ended up using copper, but since the infection had a good head start, I lost a couple fish.

Jay
Thanks Jay

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lot of reading but some real life experience here with reefing

It's an interesting watch, but he has a key quote there: "If I had to start with dry rock and artificial seawater I would kill those fish"...well that's how most people start. So to apply his method, even he says so, would wipe our tanks out. I think it is very unrealistic to try to present his model as a standard. I think the best alternative we have is copper and fallow tanks.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an interesting watch, but he has a key quote there: "If I had to start with dry rock and artificial seawater I would kill those fish"...well that's how most people start. So to apply his method, even he says so, would wipe our tanks out. I think it is very unrealistic to try to present his model as a standard. I think the best alternative we have is copper and fallow tanks.
I think anyone who has developed reefing knowledge with time knows the significance of live ocean rock versus dead rock . I just like his natural approach to everything. I think we all know tanks that are to sterile are not healthy. I stand by my belief that ich gets into every tank at some point. Whether it becomes a problem depends on the health of your fish and your overall biome in your tank. Basically what Paul says and tests by putting ich covered fish into his system.

I do think modern methods for ich control can be effective also as Jay states and you reference also.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think anyone who has developed reefing knowledge with time knows the significance of live ocean rock versus dead rock . I just like his natural approach to everything. I think we all know tanks that are to sterile are not healthy. I stand by my belief that ich gets into every tank at some point. Whether it becomes a problem depends on the health of your fish and your overall biome in your tank. Basically what Paul says and tests by putting ich covered fish into his system.

I do think modern methods for ich control can be effective also as Jay states and you reference also.
We will just have to disagree on the key point of ich getting into the tank. As you said, diet does help them fight off possible infections, as many fish die not from ich, but secondary infections. One thing that can't be discounted, is the damage ich does to the gills of fish. Fun discussion thou.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r tip of the day: when @Lasse posts an article, be sure and read it. The important thing from this one:

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.00.29 PM.png

I have a lot of thinking to do. My approach to introducing fish might be right, but the reasons might have changed a bit. For a few decades I have contended that a diverse ecosystem in the introduction tank allowed made the tomonts fight for their lives while fish got healthy enough to fight off the ich. While I still believe that this is mostly true, I might now be under the opinion that this also allowed the fish a therapeutic level of the parasite to develop immunity.

Now I need to figure out if fish can get immunity to marine velvet.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r tip of the day: when @Lasse posts an article, be sure and read it. The important thing from this one:

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.00.29 PM.png

I have a lot of thinking to do. My approach to introducing fish might be right, but the reasons might have changed a bit. For a few decades I have contended that a diverse ecosystem in the introduction tank allowed made the tomonts fight for their lives while fish got healthy enough to fight off the ich. While I still believe that this is mostly true, I might now be under the opinion that this also allowed the fish a therapeutic level of the parasite to develop immunity.

Now I need to figure out if fish can get immunity to marine velvet.
I have 2 fish that never caught brook in my tank alive 2 years later now. All others died quick when my tank was young. Luck or immunity?

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different wholesalers and collectors - I should say, there was surely ich on fish coming in, but with the copper quarantine, it never manifests itself into active disease for us. The 2015 case was a group of deep sea fish from Curacao. I was worried about dosing them with copper (I shouldn't have been!) and they developed severe ich. I hit them chloroquine, but that didn't work so I ended up using copper, but since the infection had a good head start, I lost a couple fish.

Jay
Interesting. Please tell me more about quarantining fish in copper. Will this product from API work?

API LIQUID SUPER ICK CURE.jpg

Or will this one work better?
KORDON Copper-AID External Parasite Treatment for Aquarium Fish.jpg

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I found your instructions on quarantining new fish! Thanks!

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ten gallon aquarium is still cycling and the only thing that is "alive" is a piece of live rock from Petco. Can Ich stay alive without a living host or do they die off if they cannot find a fish to stick to?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ten gallon aquarium is still cycling and the only thing that is "alive" is a piece of live rock from Petco. Can Ich stay alive without a living host or do they die off if they cannot find a fish to stick to?
If you leave the tank fishless for 75-80 days, any ich will die.

(Edit: I hope Jay will correct my timeframe if it's too long... The "old way" was to run fallow for 76 days, I believe)

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you leave the tank fishless for 75-80 days, any ich will die.

(Edit: I hope Jay will correct my timeframe if it's too long... The "old way" was to run fallow for 76 days, I believe)

Next person with a significant case of Ich should stir the sand and send off for a PCR test at day 45 and day 90 assuming any place has the library. If I were a betting man, I would bet there is still Ich in the tank past day 90 just not enough to effect anything even remotely healthy.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next person with a significant case of Ich should stir the sand and send off for a PCR test at day 45 and day 90 assuming any place has the library. If I were a betting man, I would bet there is still Ich in the tank past day 90 just not enough to effect anything even remotely healthy.
According to this and other studies, Cryptocaryon irritans can become dormant at temperatures below 60 degrees fahrenheit. (In this article "Tomonts can stay alive for 4–5 months at 12 °C."

According to this study, Cryptocaryon irritans can enter a dormant phase in "a hypoxic seawater environment (1.4–1.7 mg/L O2)" https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0044848617315892

For reference, "Fish require dissolved oxygen levels between 5-6 ppm (parts per million) to grow and thrive. Low dissolved oxygen levels (>3 ppm) become stressful for most aquatic organisms, and extremely low levels will not support fish survival at all. ". https://atlas-scientific.com/blog/dissolved-oxygen-in-water-ppm-for-fish/

(And that's just from a 20 minute search...)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to this study, Cryptocaryon irritans can enter a dormant phase in "a hypoxic seawater environment (1.4–1.7 mg/L O2)" https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0044848617315

C. irritans cyst in the sediment. 1.4 to 1.7 mg/L O2 refer to the oxygenlevels around the cyst - the level in the pore water with other words.

Fish require dissolved oxygen levels between 5-6 ppm (parts per million) to grow and thrive. Low dissolved oxygen levels (>3 ppm) become stressful for most aquatic organisms, and extremely low levels will not support fish survival at all.

This part refer to the water column where the fish are

Do not compare apples and pears! The oxygen concentration can be below 1.7 mg/L there the C. irritans cyst is (in the sediment/gravel) but be 5-6 mg/L in the water column (there the fish are) in the same aquarium.

I have said before - there is no general role about how long time a cyst can be in the sediment. If the sediment/gravel is anoxic (in a sediment/gravel with lot of bacteria activity - low oxygen concentrations can occur rather near the surface of sediment/gravel) 74 days fallow can help in some cases, can be to long in some cases and too short in other cases. The 74 days is build on ONE study back in the eighties .

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to this and other studies, Cryptocaryon irritans can become dormant at temperatures below 60 degrees fahrenheit. (In this article "Tomonts can stay alive for 4–5 months at 12 °C."

They were looking at gene regulation in a very short time span but it does suggest how they survive in cold weather months. The 4-5 month number comes from the wild which I thought was just excepted since we see Ich is saltwater ponds even after winter.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Please tell me more about quarantining fish in copper. Will this product from API work?

API LIQUID SUPER ICK CURE.jpg

Or will this one work better?
KORDON Copper-AID External Parasite Treatment for Aquarium Fish.jpg

The API product is best used for freshwater fish only. The Kordon product is described as a chelated copper and has the same dose as Coppersafe, so it might work. However, I've done all of my work with Coppersafe and sometimes Copper Power.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the mean time I can add hermit crabs and shrimp because they can't get Ich?

As mentioned, they won't catch ich, but they can carry the resting stage on their bodies. If you move a hermit crab or shrimp from a tank with an active fish disease, they can carry that disease to a new tank.

Jay

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back