Is Ich really present in every batch of saltwater?

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Kordon Copper-aid really safe for invertebrates such as shrimp and hermit crabs?

It says on the label:

"As a treatment for Ich, Velvet and to aid in general external parasite disease prevention, add 1 teaspoon (5 mL) per 4 gallons of water. Treat water for 1 month. Raising water temperature to 82-84F will increase effectiveness. Remove all invertebrates without an exoskeleton (anemones, jellyfish etc.) from aquarium prior to treatment."

Has anybody tried this before in a tank that has shrimp and hermit crabs?

kordon copper aid.jpg

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the lowest dose amount of copper that I can add to my tank (that has fish and shrimp) for general prevention of Ich?
Here ya go...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically I should have two aquariums:

Tank #1: No copper. Only invertebrates such as shrimp and hermit crabs

Tank #2: Copper added. Fish only with NO live rock as live rock can absorb the copper.
Yes, if you choose to use copper, you should set up a proper quarantine tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the fish only tank (without any live rock or invertebrates) be given copper for permanent and long term duration?
I'm not going to answer any more questions until you read the info I already gave you in post #105.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I had a cryptocaryon outbreak in my 225g DT. This was confirmed both visually and with an AquaBiomics eDNA test.

I removed all the fish and placed them in a new hospital tank where they were at 2.5 ppm chelated copper for 30 days at which point copper was removed from the system.

At the same time, I increased the temp of my
DT to 81 degrees and went fallow - absolutely no new additions.

At 45 days I took a sample of both the DT and the hospital tank and ran eDNA tests again through AquaBiomics. Both tanks are now confirmed 100% ich-free.
That’s good to hear, but kind of surprising given it was at the minimum of 45 days. Did they say how long eDNA remains active?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Kordon Copper-aid really safe for invertebrates such as shrimp and hermit crabs?

It says on the label:

"As a treatment for Ich, Velvet and to aid in general external parasite disease prevention, add 1 teaspoon (5 mL) per 4 gallons of water. Treat water for 1 month. Raising water temperature to 82-84F will increase effectiveness. Remove all invertebrates without an exoskeleton (anemones, jellyfish etc.) from aquarium prior to treatment."

Has anybody tried this before in a tank that has shrimp and hermit crabs?

kordon copper aid.jpg
That product seems to be a Copy of coppersafe. I know that in some cases, I’ve had shrimp and crabs survive coppersafe, but it kills snails, starfish and all other invertebrates. The general recommendation would be to not use it with any invertebrate.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the fish only tank (without any live rock or invertebrates) be given copper for permanent and long term duration?
I’ve kept fish in coppersafe long term for 4 to 6 months, but it is best to keep them in copper less than 45 days at a time.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent question, @Jay Hemdal. I don’t know how long DNA lasts in the system and didn’t ask. Maybe @AquaBiomics can pipe in?

I know that when fisheries scientists are using eDNA to track invasive carps, there was some question that it persisted long after the actual carp had been removed from the system....so not getting a "hit" on it after the tank went fallow does seem to indicate true removal.

Jay

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone please explain to me why a fish doesn't have Ich at the pet store, but when you bring them home and put them in your tank they suddenly develop Ich?
The simple answer to this is that either 1) the fish had ich at the pet store, but wasn't showing it (probably because of low levels of copper in the LFS tanks as mentioned above) or 2) there are fish with ich in the tank to which it was introduced. Remember, ich can be present without overt symptoms showing (white spots, scratching, etc.) when it isn't in full outbreak. Ich can be in a system where fish seem healthy if it has been introduced, but hasn't overrun the system.

Think about like when a dog has 1 or 2 fleas vs a full-on infestation where the dog is "covered" in fleas. Same principle. However, in the scenario where there's a minor case without outbreak, you're still in danger of an outbreak occurring at any time if the fish become stressed or other factors permit the full infestation to occur.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that when fisheries scientists are using eDNA to track invasive carps, there was some question that it persisted long after the actual carp had been removed from the system....so not getting a "hit" on it after the tank went fallow does seem to indicate true removal.

Jay
Assuming the same level of amplification is used.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back