Is it just me or what???

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it and considered "nabbing" it. You gotta do something with it, even if it is a redirect site to yours.

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would weigh in on this one. I asked for a pic of a frag that I am purchasing this Sat. I did this not because I don't trust the seller, or have any intentions of backing out. i asked for the pic because I am super happy about it and just want something to look at for the next week. This is probably due to a little newb excitement. Just my .02

P.S. the domain name is hilarious. and I clear my purchases with the wife before I talk to the seller!

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is part of the business of selling anything that is not a person to person live transaction. I am sorry that you feel this way. I guess the next time one of my borrowers ask for a good faith estimate on a real estate transaction, I should refer them to your new domain :)

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, i have given a lot of thought to this since the original post and I am really stuck on the fact. If you are looking for a red Mercedes 300SL and you see one going down the road and say to yourself "wow thats one sweet ride". And you decide to buy one. so you call around town to the different dealers and ask " Hey, you got a red mercedes 300SL?" so the dealer says I sure do come on down and take a look. We'll you already know when you get there what it looks like. Thats the whole point. If Im selling a piece of coral and you see my pictures and you ask me if I have more just like it and I say yes, I have a piece from the exact same colony which is the exact same shape,size,color and it's healthy and the same price, why question it by having to see a picture? Most websites that show you a piece of a large Mummy Eye colony for example say, 1/2" size frag $xxx.00 and you dont think twice about it. You know what it will look like when it grows up!!!! or just like when I was selling my Nuclear Death paly's. I showed the whole colony and said...sold by the polyp. Nobody called or emailed and said..uh, can you take a picture of that polyp and show me what it's going to look like?

I could so totally see if you were interested in someone else's coral and you said to me "Perry, do you have one like that you could show me a picture of"? Thats totally understandable, it's not from the same coral or person. But when It is farmed by me or fragged by me from my stock and my pictures and it is what it is, thats what im talking about. Anyway, im truly not trying to rain on anyones parade. Just the thought came up since all the people asking for additional photos of the exact corals I already had up for sell. It's a common question and Im sure you all get asked the question many times over again. Peace out!!!!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ask for a pic bc who knows what u are really getting, some people say something and it might not be that. or it might be browned out, or not the size thats stated

ss7

Guinea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Perry.. we all know this thread has been a vent for you. I totally respect your frustration with business; I have my own with day to day events. I give you my apologies for the extra work you will have to do to keep my business. I look forward to seeing some more quality corals come through your shop. :)

Best regards,
Sam

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a full time hobby...lol, I do out of my garage to take away from the hustle and bustle of everyday work and life...and to get a few goodies along the way. It's a great stress reliever and most of the time it's a blast. Who knows? one of these days maybe it will really be a business. Time will tell.

Hoot Hoot!!!!!

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would like to see a pic of anything before i buy it. Hey it might be the same colony but look like crap. I like to make sure it's healthy and i would like to see what i'm getting so no surprises. Who wants to spend their money on something that looks like crap??? Not me.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem is so many people have been burned somewhere down the line, and dont want to be burned again.

For every good retailer, there is bad one too.

Also, so people are just plain ignorrent when it comes to size.

Ive had people say, 1" frag, and it comes in 1/4" at the most.

I think it all depends on what you are selling.

Zoa and Paly's need no pics IMO. However if im spending $100 + for something that is small, i would want to see what im getting first.

Acans are a great example of this. Too many people out there think a baby, or a 1/4 polyp counts and you get a 5 polyp frag, and 4 of them are halves. These type of things can be eliminated by demanding a pic before payment.

I do however see your point, and agree with you on several levels. And also see how people like to see what they are paying for.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your vent as I've been down this road many a time but in the same have to disagree as its a saftey to send pics if you dont it leaves room for problems if they get the coral if they have a pic they see what there getting you have approval then theres no way there can really be a problem once they get it.What you need to do is beat at your own drum instead of there's I honestly tell most folks when looking for somthing it will be on the website in a certain time frame look there or pm folks when I do put it up saves some aggrevation but I feel what your saying beleive me but its part of this business.:)

Chrissy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are running a business where pictures sell your corals for you. How long does it take to take a picture...upload it..and then email it??? I don't think it's too much to much to ask at all. You want all of the money for your coral? Take some pictures...pretty simple if you ask me!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are running a business where pictures sell your corals for you. How long does it take to take a picture...upload it..and then email it??? I don't think it's too much to much to ask at all. You want all of the money for your coral? Take some pictures...pretty simple if you ask me!

+100000000:blob4:

JWJTide

Acans anyone????
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your frustration. I do agree that if you are fragging from the same colony then it will look the same but think about this.... when was the picture of the original colony taken? what sizes would you be getting? I know recently i purchased a single polyp of a rare paly and saw the pic of original colony. I didnt ask to see the frag and when i got it.... it was small!!!!! The pic I saw was a large paly that covered most of a frag disk. The one I got was probably about 1/3 of the size. It is doing well and growing but i wouldnt have paid $30 for a baby!!!! So where you are Im sure a reputable dealer, I have never purchased anything from you so I dont know that. So Im sure its more work for you but isnt it truly the little things that keep your customers happy??

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But, do that for every customer that wants an extra picture and you are doing it 20 times per day........... Many of you know that there is no way to take one single picture of a coral and that one picture comes out to truely represent the coral. Most of the time it takes several pictures to get one good picture. Then you upload those, pick the picture that represents the coral properly send the email to the possible buyer......
So lets say that the process for one picture take 10 minutes total. Times that by 20 time per day and you have 200 minutes per day. So, that would be 3 hours and 20 minutes per day to take pictures for POSSIBLE buyers.

Doing so for someone like myself and Perry (Ocean In A Box) taking pictures would now become a part time job for POSSIBLE buyers.

But, I am sure that he is willing to go the extra mile for previous buyer!!

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 20 people a day asking for 20 diffrent pictures of diffrent frags I'd be hiring a friend parttime to take pics as you could expect at least five takers a day from those 20 be worth it to pay help.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, do that for every customer that wants an extra picture and you are doing it 20 times per day........... Many of you know that there is no way to take one single picture of a coral and that one picture comes out to truely represent the coral. Most of the time it takes several pictures to get one good picture. Then you upload those, pick the picture that represents the coral properly send the email to the possible buyer......
So lets say that the process for one picture take 10 minutes total. Times that by 20 time per day and you have 200 minutes per day. So, that would be 3 hours and 20 minutes per day to take pictures for POSSIBLE buyers.

Doing so for someone like myself and Perry (Ocean In A Box) taking pictures would now become a part time job for POSSIBLE buyers.

But, I am sure that he is willing to go the extra mile for previous buyer!!

i believe thats part of a job. Thats like going to a car lot and haveing a car sales man get mad when u ask to test drive it....

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back