Is it just me or what???

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand all the hoopla about pictures. I mean if I was buying something for the 1st time and had never heard of it or seen it before that would be one thing, but I cant tell you how many requests I get for pictures,pictures and more pictures. Here are a few examples:

I sell a 1 inch piece of rainbow montipora. A second person emails me and says "Hey, got any more of that"? Sure, I say. I have a piece from the same colony the exact same size and will offer it at the same price. GOT A PICTURE? they say.

I sell 2 polyps of my Nuke Deaths palys. Someone writes, "hey, can I get 5 polyps of those?" sure, no problem......GOT A PIC???????

"Hey that acan is beautiful, will you sell me a polyp of that?" Absolutly I say!!!! Next response... Oh, please send me a picture before I pay you!!!!

On my website I have some awesome chalice. You are buying a 1/2inch frag of this beautiful chalice........email comes in....Send me a pic of the frag!!!

Is it just me or do I need a vacation? It just blows me away sometimes.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand where you are coming from!!! I gotta say that if I was wanting to purchase a coral I would want a picture. But, from what you are saying you are supplying the picture but maybe not of the exact frag that you are sending them. If the colony piture is included I am fine with it. Otherwise you would spend all day taking pictures and emailing them to people.
I have found that when people want one picture after another, they typically will not the coral anyhow!!!!!!!! Just how I have seen it happen in the past. Some people just have nothing better to do.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you perry. Matt and I get those e-mails all the time. It's almost like they don't believe that you actually have coral in your tanks that you are willing to sell.

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IOtherwise you would spend all day taking pictures and emailing them to people.
I have found that when people want one picture after another, they typically will not the coral anyhow!!!!!!!! Just how I have seen it happen in the past. Some people just have nothing better to do.

Thats a whole other ball of wax, dont get me riled up......But yes your right, I cant tell you how many times I have done all the extra work and sent the pictures and get this excuse........uh, sorry but my wife found out and I need to pass right now on the coral, it's a beauty though!!!!

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand where you are coming from!!! I gotta say that if I was wanting to purchase a coral I would want a picture. But, from what you are saying you are supplying the picture but maybe not of the exact frag that you are sending them. If the colony piture is included I am fine with it. Otherwise you would spend all day taking pictures and emailing them to people.

+1 if there's a general pic of the coral and you tell people what size they will get what does it matter? not like that one frag is going to morph into a different coral

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a whole other ball of wax, dont get me riled up......But yes your right, I cant tell you how many times I have done all the extra work and sent the pictures and get this excuse........uh, sorry but my wife found out and I need to pass right now on the coral, it's a beauty though!!!!

Its insane isnt it! When it comes to coral its amazing how many men use there wife as an excuse for there change of mind.
If they want a bunch of pictures or have an absolute ton of questions they will either not buy the coral OR complain about it when they get it. You know how it is!

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its insane isnt it! When it comes to coral its amazing how many men use there wife as an excuse for there change of mind.
If they want a bunch of pictures or have an absolute ton of questions they will either not buy the coral OR complain about it when they get it. You know how it is!

Im gonna start a new website... www.didyourwifeapprove.com

ss7

Guinea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-1 here.

I think its necessary for a remote someone to see a pic - not only for color, but size and health of a specimen.

Sounds like a crass vent coming from an online vendor.

Sam

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask why you feel if it is from the exact colony from the same morph that a pic is needed? If I have a colony of 5 purple death and you see the colony and you are happy with what you see and ask me if I have 10 of them, why do you need a picture?

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my point, if I show you the colony it isnt gonna change. I think when you buy from someone and they are a reputable seller, that should ease your mind to some degree. After all Im not gonna send you red polyps when you just looked at the mother colony and saw it was green. This was not focused on any one individual. This is a very common question. I get asked at least the same question 20 times a day at minimum. Im just making a generalized statement.

-1 here.

I think its necessary for a remote someone to see a pic - not only for color, but size and health of a specimen.

Sounds like a crass vent coming from an online vendor.

Sam

ss7

Guinea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I do not want to attempt to generalize or rationalize other's choices. I will leave those for them to defend. I will speak for my own motivations and current situation.

Earlier today, we were in correspondence via PM about a micro I purchased from your auction ending 8/10. I am interested in obtaining another frag you offered of "7 - 9 polyps perhaps." I, personally, would like to gauge the size of this piece before pledging the funds.

So, with my situation, I can relate to other purchasers preferring to see a picture of the coral for size, health and quality.

Sam

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you were in fact one of about 10 emails I received today asking for photos, but thats a little different scenario. You did not see the mother colony only a frag. However I did tell you I had the same morph available but the sizes were larger than the frag you saw on ebay. Similar request but still a bit different. And besides, I did tell you that it wasnt a problem, I will send you a pic when I get back in town.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just not possible to make eveyone happy. Some you win and some you lose!

Lets say I have a colony and I already have some frags from that colony for sale. Lets say that it is a acan and all of the frags are 5 heads. You get an email from a possible buyer that wants a frag with 10 heads. With me knowing the process of fragging it is impossible to frag the coral of 10 heads then take a picture and the coral look good all in the same day. As we all know it takes a couple of days for a frag to "come back to life" once it has been cut.
So, for this person that has not showed you the money.... wants you to frag a coral to a specific size then wants a picture all in the same day. And if it does not look so great from the fragging then they say it is not healthy. But if you tell them that you will send a picture in a couple of days they think you are lazy about it or that there purchase is not important to you.
As a seller or online vendor its a no win situation. The final result is that the possible buyer spreads the word that you have terrible customer service because it was going to take a day or two for the picture you want or if you rush it and take the picture the possible buyer will spread the word that you have unhealthy coral..... Just my outlook!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 56 40.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 70 51.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back