Is it Polyp bailout? BJD? Halp!!

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two headed Dragon Soul torch that I purchased about 2 weeks ago. It is a replacement for another DS I had that had BJD (I think) and died very quickly. The other day, I noticed that one small area looked like the tentacles were retracted and some looked deflated. I thought maybe I was just being paranoid, but I ordered some Cipro just in case. On Sunday, I did a 15% water change and when I got home Monday evening, I noticed what looked like two pieces of the skeleton had broken off and were just dangling there. The tentacles around it were retracted and dark. I don't remember doing anything during the water change that would have caused this, but I guess it's possible that I bumped it or something. The broken side is not the same head that the tentacles were retracted on the other day - it's on the other head. I checked the torch this morning, and the tentacles around the injury are retracted, but the other tentacles on that head are very long, and the lights hadn't come on yet.

Last week I tried out a new powerhead, and even though I pointed it away from the corals, I think it was blowing too hard for them. I had it on for several hours before I decided to turn it off. Could this have injured it? Would it take several days for the damage to show up?

What can I do now? The corals are in a coral QT, but I can isolate it if need be. I have some Cipro coming, but it's probably not going to be here until the weekend. I have Metronidazole, Nitrofurazone, Kanaplex, API general cure, Melafix, Lugols, and several different types of coral dip. Is there anything I can use to help it? Should I frag the good head off and try to save it? I don't see any jelly, but my last DS didn't show any jelly either. The polyps just kind of melted into the skeleton. For now, I have turned off all flow except for the hob filter I have on the tank.
20220523_222455.jpg

Lanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is 2 popular dips out for bjd, the chummingham cure all and the other guy on instagram- i forget his name unfortunately, that use about the same recipe. It's about 10ish scoops of chemi-clean (erythromycin) 1 250mg cibro or amoxicillin, a capful brightwell revive, a few drops of quality amino acids, 20ish drops of lugols or some iodine based dip, enough to turn the water slightly tea colored, and optionally ~100ml of witch hazel.

This makes 2 gal of dip. Dip for 6hours with a heater and preferably a sponge filter, something to catch the debris.

Also peroxide dips are great.

The exact instructions for the dips can be found on the Google/ chumminghams' Facebook and Instagram.

Good luck! Also I assume you have good water quality

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how the skeleton would just break unless it was hit/impacted by something... I would have to think this is due to being hit, ie an injury, rather than due to water issues. As long as your water params are good, it should hopefully recover.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how the skeleton would just break unless it was hit/impacted by something... I would have to think this is due to being hit, ie an injury, rather than due to water issues. As long as your water params are good, it should hopefully recover.
Thank you for your help! The last time I did a full patameter test was on May 17th. The readings were:
Mag 1400
Cal 450
PH 8.0
Nitrate 5.9
Alk 7.4
Phos .09
Salinity 1.025

I have been feeding Reef Roids twice a week to try to boost my nitrate and Phosphate, which were low. Out of curiosity, I tested my alk, nitrate and Phosphate on Sunday night when I saw the retracted tentacles. The readings then were
Nitrate 8.4
Alk 7.2
Phosphate .03

Those are all still ok readings, but the swing worries me a little. It's weird how my nitrate went up so much, but my Phosphate went down. Not sure what to make of that.

Back