Is it time to Cipro?

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very small ~2-3" red Haddoni. I observed it at my LFS for about a month before purchasing to ensure it was happy, healthy, and not indicating any signs of bacterial infection. All seemed good so I pulled the trigger. It's been in my tank for about three weeks now and has been looking amazing. In the past week or so I've noticed it slightly deflate in the morning prior to lights coming on. Last night as the lights were just about ramped down I noticed it was again slightly deflated, but this time the mouth was gaping approximately the size of a nickel. Quite large in comparison to the size of the nem. Within an hour it was completely closed up and looking perfectly fine again. This morning it also looks perfectly fine, completely open and as if nothing ever happened.

I believe if it is a bacterial infection it was brought in by another recent anemone order from AquaSD, one nem from that order came damaged and declined over a day and had to be pulled. A second nem from that order is currently declining and I'll likely be pulling it today as well. These were Mini Maxis.

I have everything on hand to do a proper Cipro treatment in a hospital tank, and am leaning heavily towards treating just to be safe. But I'm afraid of stressing this thing out any more than it needs to be if treatment is unnecessary. This red Haddoni is my holy grail, I've been trying to get one for years and hit the jackpot with one coming into my LFS so I'm wary to make a rash decision on treatment. What do the experts think here? Should I treat?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert but I would certainly treat this anemone. Carpets will rarely survive without antibiotic treatment. You’ve done your best to try to care for it without medication, but it seems like the new tank made it susceptible to an infection.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert but I would certainly treat this anemone. Carpets will rarely survive without antibiotic treatment. You’ve done your best to try to care for it without medication, but it seems like the new tank made it susceptible to an infection.
Appreciate the response, I have my hospital tank set up and just waiting on salt to mix now. Will plan on pushing forward with treatment hopefully tonight.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 and everything is going great. Haven't seen any mouth gaping like I saw in the DT. It did deflate pretty heavily last night, though that's expected. Went ahead and threw the suspected patient 0 mini maxi in with it.

Doing a 10g hospital, half full @ 125mg Cipro. Hope it keeps going this well, I feel like I caught it early so I have high hopes.

Attachments

• 20220207_132753.jpg
    20220207_132753.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220207_132804.jpg
    20220207_132804.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 57

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the update. :)

I’m happy to hear everything is going well. Where did you get the cipro from?

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from Allivet, more expensive than it used to be a few years ago but I couldn't get it locally. Took them quite a while, about 2 weeks from placing the order, to actually get it shipped out. But otherwise I found it a decent place to buy from.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from Allivet, more expensive than it used to be a few years ago but I couldn't get it locally. Took them quite a while, about 2 weeks from placing the order, to actually get it shipped out. But otherwise I found it a decent place to buy from.
You are awesome! Thank you so much!

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I had a hard time finding it without prescription and I made a few vets laugh along the way too.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4, everything is going great still. The red carpet hasn't deflated in a few days and the mouth has been nice and tight. Looking good for this little guy. Some Cipro landed on it's disc and the tentacles retracted, you can see it in the pic. I'm not concerned about it though.

The mini maxi deflated heavily on day 3, but otherwise has been looking pretty good.

I've never treated two at once, am I safe to remove the carpet nem after 7 days if the mini maxi is still deflating? Or do I need to wait until both nems haven't deflated for 3 days.

Attachments

• 20220209_100353.jpg
    20220209_100353.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220209_100359.jpg
    20220209_100359.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 44

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff. Glad to see treatment is helping. I was wondering about treating 2 at once too. I was afraid one might affect the other so I did separate tanks just to be sure

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never treated two at once, am I safe to remove the carpet nem after 7 days if the mini maxi is still deflating? Or do I need to wait until both nems haven't deflated for 3 days.

Bump for this question

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the good news is I finished the treatment and both nems hit the markers to be put back into the DT. The bad news is the day after I put them back in the DT my bubble tip showed strong signs of bacterial infection, including mouth gaping. It's been a few days since that and I've been watching closely. My red carpet is now showing signs again, I caught it last night at lights out shrunken and mouth gaping. It's been about a week since I re-introduced the carpet, am I jumping the gun? Is this normal behavior after treatment?

I'm concerned about treating again so soon but I'm assuming if it's needed then...it's needed

I have a total of 4 mini maxi, 2 rock flower, 1 carpet, and 1 bubble tip. Do I need to remove ALL of them for treatment as the safest bet? The issue that comes along with that is they're all (except the carpet) attached to large pieces of live rock. I've read conflicting things about treating with LR in the hospital tank.

So far only the bubble tip and carpet are exhibiting signs.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for the above question. Both carpet & bubble tip are still exhibiting signs and I'm prepping the hospital tank to start treatment tonight. I'm planning now to remove just those two, live rock included, and place them in the hospital tank. Would love to hear what effect live rock has on Cipro dosage/effectiveness.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to hear a response to this as well. I pulled an infected gig and it’s about done with treatment. I have a CSB BTA and another gig in the dt. If they all start showing signs after I re introduce the treated nem, I’ll be tempted to just treat the whole tank.

hopefully you can get a response quickly. Those red haddoni are so nice!

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to hear a response to this as well. I pulled an infected gig and it’s about done with treatment. I have a CSB BTA and another gig in the dt. If they all start showing signs after I re introduce the treated nem, I’ll be tempted to just treat the whole tank.

hopefully you can get a response quickly. Those red haddoni are so nice!
I'm 10 days into treatment with a BTA and red haddoni now with a basketball sized piece of live rock in the tank. I used the normal dosage for a 10g tank and have only been doing water changes if ammonia spikes (which was once, on day 3). So far everything is going perfect and all nems seem great, they'll be going back in the DT tonight

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back