Is my setup overkill?

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 moderatly stocked soft coral aquarium with an AquaMaxx HOB refugium with chaeto and an AquaMaxx HOB 1.5. I also have a Marineland Penguin 350 with Aquaclear sponges and each "half" of the filter houses a 100ml packet of Seachem Purigen and an 11.74oz bag of Chemipure Elite. Is this too much? I know the refugium and skimmer are the bare minimum required for a functional tank, but what can go on the HOB power filter side?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks in your tank are the filter in a salt water aquarium. No other filtration is technically needed. Everything else is an additional. Sponges are not a good thing for salt water tanks. For an example, filter socks need to be cleaned every 3 days because they trap all of the organic matter and that starts to break down and increases nitrates. Sponges are worse at adding nitrates. Skimmer, refugium are not needed but do make it easier. You have to forget everything about fresh water as it does not apply to salt. I run a 90 with just a skimmer, filter socks and refugium. 25 gallon water change every other week. Some people run tanks with rock only

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back