Is ocean water safe?

MFear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically mix my own saltwater at home using Tropic Marin and RODI water and store it in brute containers so I can have some on hand and use some for auto-water changes. I live in Los Angeles though and we’re in a mega drought so I’ve been thinking I’ll start getting Catalina ocean water from one of my local LFS instead to cut down on my water usage at the house (hell when I make up 45 gallons of saltwater I’m dumping 45gallons onto the lawn after all). At the same time, I’m just coming out of an ich attack and have decided to go the prevention over management route and will be doing a strict @Humblefish QT protocol moving forward…anything wet will go into a fallow tank before my display and any fish gets the full red carpet QT treatment. This might be a dumb question…but “Anything wet”…would I just be completely undoing all of my QT protocols if I end up getting Catalina ocean water and putting that in my tank? Couldn’t a parasite like ich come through in the water? Catalinawater.com

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes potentially because there is a stage in the ich life cycle where they are between hatching and attaching to fish. In this stage they can travel with just the water till the parasite starves without a host.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’ve been thinking I’ll start getting Catalina ocean water from one of my local LFS
When I first got into the hobby, I bought some live rock (real Fiji) and a ton of dead coral skeletons from a local reefer to start my first tank. Sold me over 100lbs for $200, was a great deal. He broke down his tank and turn it into fresh water. Last thing he said to me was, whatever you do don’t buy Catalina water lol. I don’t know why, honestly, I didn’t know enough back then to ask why, I was still learning about the nitrogen cycle. Take it with a grain of salt, but I thought I would share.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically mix my own saltwater at home using Tropic Marin and RODI water and store it in brute containers so I can have some on hand and use some for auto-water changes. I live in Los Angeles though and we’re in a mega drought so I’ve been thinking I’ll start getting Catalina ocean water from one of my local LFS instead to cut down on my water usage at the house (hell when I make up 45 gallons of saltwater I’m dumping 45gallons onto the lawn after all). At the same time, I’m just coming out of an ich attack and have decided to go the prevention over management route and will be doing a strict @Humblefish QT protocol moving forward…anything wet will go into a fallow tank before my display and any fish gets the full red carpet QT treatment. This might be a dumb question…but “Anything wet”…would I just be completely undoing all of my QT protocols if I end up getting Catalina ocean water and putting that in my tank? Couldn’t a parasite like ich come through in the water? Catalinawater.com
I'm sure it is a typo, but you can't have a lot of confidence in a company that touts that the water has only 0.004 ppm calcium. This report has been posted by them for many years without fixing it.

http://www.catalinawater.com/Report.html

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back