Is one return pump better than two?

naps

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2025
Messages
111
Reaction score
128
Location
Eugene
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ya'll!

I have an Innovative Marine Fusion 20Long AIO. It came with two 5W/24V return pumps each rated at 130GPH. I see that IM also sells the Mightjet 326GPH pump. Would it make more sense to have two pumps equaling 260GPH or one pump doing 326GPH? Right now i BARELY turn on my powerhead(Jabao ELW-3M) because i only have a Frogspawn, Duncan and a BTA in my tank and when i turn on the powerhead everyone closes up and hides. So, i have been relying on the return pumps for flow and my tank(so far) seems super happy with it.

How do i even properly size them? Would it be worth it to go even bigger with two 251GPH Sicce pumps?
 
I've got a few of these IM AIO's and several of the MightyJet pumps and I very much like them. Having two pumps is great in case one fails the other is still going, but I would go for one MightyJet vs. the two stock pumps these tanks come with. Keep in mind, the MightJet is fully controllable, so you can turn it down if needed, but those stock pumps are all or nothing.

For a budget alternative I also have one of these Jebao pumps, they are also controllable and mine works very well, though I am using that on a freshwater tank:
Jebao Pump

I hope that helps, good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new