Is Reefkeeping Expensive?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern was more for 'hidden costs' and unnecessary purchases. "Hidden costs" are the things you don't plan for that end up constantly eating into your budget. "Unnecessary" would include equipment I may not need right away or ever, equipment that's gimmicky, or doesn't fit into my planned system. Luckily with forums like this, educational videos from BRS (thanks) and easy to find product pricing and reviews, in the year I've been in the hobby, I've had very few 'surprises' I didn't see coming and hadn't included in my budget. My purchases have almost all either been in use continually, or vital to have on hand as a reserve or for emergencies.

I would definitely recommend, no matter how large or small, making up a detailed budget and forecast that over the first year to support needs and goals.

In my case, I've come within about 10% of my estimate from a year ago. Budgeting $4500 and spending $5000 leaves me feeling pretty happy...guessing I would spend $2000 and spending $5000...not so much!

Last edited:

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty expensive! For me, at least. I think it definitely depends on the individual, your monetary situation ect.

At first it was kind of affordable. However, my husband is no longer working due to health, and my job doesn’t sustain us much. Falling back on a hobby which was supposed to help deter the costs is more so going to bills. So for me, even the simple things (a new pump for my skimmer, for example, or even a test kit) are out of my price range for the time being.

that being said, I’ve seen some extremely outrageous prices for some things that just seem silly. (This coming from someone who sees a marine fish and goes “$50.00!! That’s so high!!”, but has no real issues dropping that on unimac complex fishes)

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost per fish is more than with freshwater for sure. There is more equipment in a reef tank but it's all about how you plan. If you buy secondhand equipment the costs go way down compared to buying the newest and latest gadget. I'm a school teacher and don't make that much money but I just slowly find deals and used stuff to buy. Getting started with just a fo or fowlr tank is not bad at all and I encourage friends to try it. Very minimal equipment needed. I started with an old 29g freshwater tank and equipment, hob filter and t8 light, slowly upgraded from there.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a topic that I think most people with a reef aquarium deal with whenever someone finds out about their hobby. Ultimately I believe its disingenuous to suggest this hobby is cheap or "not that expensive" when describing it to others. It can definitely be done on a budget but the sticker shock is often significant. When you've been in the hobby for a few years its easy to be desensitized to a lot of aspects that people starting out will gawk at. I remember when I first got into the hobby and my brother-in-law pointed out that saltwater was 1$ a gallon. I thought that wasn't bad at all, until he reminded me he needed to buy ~130 gallons for his aquarium. Obviously this could be done significantly cheaper with your own salt, RODI, etc. But again -- these are hidden costs and knowledge that someone new to the hobby isn't going to have or potentially second guess when making their decisions at a LFS.

ejpreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at it this way..... It is like choosing where you play golf. You can choose some courses for cheap and they aren't that nice or pay the extra money and play the more expensive course that are very nice. Do you want to have a ok reef tank if you are going to put your time in effort into it or do you want to spend the money and have something very nice? I don't think you need all the high end equipment to make a great reef but you do need to spend some money....

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...in my opinion money won’t buy you a successful reef.

Sure it will. Just hire a successful reefkeeper to build and maintain your system :)

There's lots of toys available, and lots of really, really good equipment that you simply couldn't get a decade or two back. Take advantage of those advances, it can really help increase your odds of being successful...

but...

There ain't no corals you can keep that you can't keep under T5's... you don't really _need_ those high dollar LED's.

A conscientious, knowledgeable, and attentive reefkeeper is a far more valuable component for a successful reef than any fancy gizmo you can purchase. You spend the time, gain the knowledge, pay attention, and your chances of success go up dramatically.

The overall success rate of this hobby being what it is, there is a plethora of available, high quality used gear out there. Personally, I don't do used tanks... to high a risk for too little savings, but lighting? Electronics? Pumps? Reactors? RO/DI systems? You can save a BUNDLE by going with good used gear.

That $5 brown acro frag at the LFS might just turn into a beautiful butterfly, given good water quality, good lighting, good flow patterns... No need to buy expensive frags, a tank full of mature, healthy, but dead common corals can be beautiful.

Last edited:

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think of it like anything else in life: Whether or not you drive an Accent or a Lamborghini Spyder, you are still able to drive to work. There are expensive set ups and just the basics -- but it ends up with something beautiful so long as you take care of it.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well
I think of it like anything else in life: Whether or not you drive an Accent or a Lamborghini Spyder, you are still able to drive to work. There are expensive set ups and just the basics -- but it ends up with something beautiful so long as you take care of it.
Well said!!!!!!

I personally find it extremely expensive. Because our drama teacher Prime Minister destroys our dollar, forcing prices up, and complete medication bans.

#Canadianreefing

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back