Is the New Minimalist aquascape causing issues in reefs

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what’s everyone thoughts on the subject, is minimalist aquascapes and the new slim towers and crazy looking structures giving us enough surface area for bacteria to live and thrive?

they do look beautiful and some times defying gravity but can they be more effective than the old big LR walls?

would the lack of surface area be helpful for dinoflagellates to thrive?

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what’s everyone thoughts on the subject, is minimalist aquascapes and the new slim towers and crazy looking structures giving us enough surface area for bacteria to live and thrive?

they do look beautiful and some times defying gravity but can they be more effective than the old big LR walls?
I think they use alot of things to mitigate the lack of surface area in DT by adding rock or other porous things to their sump. I do think this would add a level of difficulty with a BB tank. But you can easily make up for surface are in the sump

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes no impact and if anything improves surface area in many ways. I ran two experiments in cycling and found that in larger chunks at 2 lbs per gallon cycling took longer and ammonia nitrification took longer after the 3 week mark compares with another test of 1 lb per gallon of smaller chunks and rubble. The smaller chunks cycled significantly faster and seemed to process ammonia faster after the 3 week mark.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it shouldn’t have a noticeable effect unless there’s poor upkeep or crazy over stocking.

every single surface in your system can house the all important bacteria. On top of that, all one need do is just add some form of biomedia to their sump or back chamber.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes no impact and if anything improves surface area in many ways. I ran two experiments in cycling and found that in larger chunks at 2 lbs per gallon cycling took longer and ammonia nitrification took longer after the 3 week mark compares with another test of 1 lb per gallon of smaller chunks and rubble. The smaller chunks cycled significantly faster and seemed to process ammonia faster after the 3 week mark.
Not necessarily just big chunks but the amount also

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it shouldn’t have a noticeable effect unless there’s poor upkeep or crazy over stocking.

every single surface in your system can house the all important bacteria. On top of that, all one need do is just add some form of biomedia to their sump or back chamber.
Can the bio media be as good as live rock?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the bio media be as good as live rock?

yup. In fact some of the ceramic media out there is even more porous than live rock.

it won’t have the biodiversity of a maricultured rock ala KP aquatics, but once bacteria has had a chance to establish itself, it’ll work just fine

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue with the NSA fad is the lack of fish habitat.

Agree. NSA sucks for fish. Been saying it to myself for months while everyone raves over their NSA. Finally, BRS acknowledged it in a video yesterday. Almost every fish deserves a couple of holes or caves to sleep or hide in.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a minimalist scape but not the open branch type.
I have about 80lbs of rock in my 120. I use a 7" filter sock and an oversized skimmer and thats it.
Heavy in/out.
15 fish in my 120. Lots of swimming space and enough places to sleep at night.
20210803_162639.jpg

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about the surface area being sufficient or not , I guess it would depend on how large the structure is and the type of material. Even some rock is so solid and dense that only outer surface is active, one reason I don’t care for some of the man made rock, you can look at it and see it’s not really porous.
But like mentioned you can add rock to sump area

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went from a chunky 'scape to a pair of liferock trees that are definitely in your minimalist category. After the cycle I can tell you that no, the filtration is just fine. It devours nutrients just the same. I do use 2 boxes of marinepur balls in the sump but I don't think that's really what's doing it.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the minimalist aquascapes and I think my power blue and power blown tangs enjoyed it so much. Lots of open water for them to swim in my 210 gal. I also have a birdsnet coral that provide sleeping place for 7 green chromis to sleep at night.

Attachments

• 20211021_201924.jpg
    20211021_201924.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211021_200746.jpg
    20211021_200746.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211021_200832.jpg
    20211021_200832.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 35

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With today's bio-media I don't think you need to worry too much about surface area but unless you're stocking Bluefin Tuna I think you need at least one more hole/crevice/cave in your tank than you have fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back