Is the Vertex Cerebra the future of aquarium controllers?

What next-generation controller are you planning on getting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use controllers as a tool, not the life line and heat beat of my systems. They are machines built my man and will eventually fail.
I agree with this statement!
for all of you that hook up this stuff as if your tank would blow up and not work are frrekin nuts lazy and have forgotten the roots of the hobby.
Old school here and i bet if your toys crapped out you'd wet your pants and wouldn't know what to do.
Its only a high priced TOY to play with and have fun with

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I must have a super human power, or a very close relationship with Vertex, in that I was able to review their product before it launches and without so much as a beta testing phase. I have no memory of writing a review on the Cerebra, so perhaps my alter ego did. anit77 seemed to have gotten the point, and it sounds like anit77 is a tech savvy person. Hence why I have said many times in this thread - to tech savvy people - tech savvy people - tech savvy people. Most people don't know how to really pop the hood on an Android device, or any software protocol for that matter. Most people are just looking for something that they can hook up and will work without the need for invasive troubleshooting. Anyone with knowledge of software would know that the last thing we want to do, is have to install an anti-virus software on an aquarium controller. Talk about a reliability nightmare. Suddenly the anti-virus is monitoring communications, ports, etc, etc possibly blocking information that is needed so the controller can make accurate decisions in line with its programming. It's not helpful to whom acesq? It certainly isn't helpful to people who have rushed out and pre-ordered a Cerebra, simply because it's the next hottest thing in hype generation. Again, what I wrote is NOT a review. It's not a first look, it's not a hands on report of the product. No one can help those folks, and I understand they are excited for their new toy, I am not trying to take that away from them. People who will buy the next "big thing" before it's really a big thing would be more productive not to comment on material that doesn't pertain to them. If you saw Cerebra demos, thought it looked cool and had $ 400 bucks to plunk down on a new toy - this article does not pertain to you. However, if an aquarist is out there (and I am sure many are) trying to make a decision on what controller to purchase, which one will provide the best reliability and overall performance and their dollars mean something (as in once they shell out 400-800 bucks they can't shell out another if the device doesn't meet expectations) this information may give them something to think about and at the very least a starting point for further research. Like anti77 I love Android. I have lots of Android toys. I've developed Android applications, and think it's a great Linux based OS. I love Linux too. Do I think Android is the most practical solution for an aquarium controller, no I don't. Again, as I said before, a tech savvy person could use smart outlets and Android to create an economical aquarium controller. That's a fact. Would it be reliable and provide the long-term results they are looking for? If anyone here has used Android and smart power outlets, they can tell me as they are prone to annoying glitches. Personally, I think I've pointed out some things many people who have pre-ordered a Cerebra didn't think about, and simply asking questions and offering a launch pad for research upsets them. Again, I could write some puff-piece about how awesome the Cerebra will be and please all of you - but then I wouldn't be doing my job - I would be pandering to Vertex and anyone who has invested in Cerebra. Some writers do that, I don't. I provide information I would personally like to get my hands on. I did watch the BRS launch video, and heck, I can use my iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, Android Tablet and a host of other devices with wet hands. I am not talking about wet hands. I am talking about the fallout of water overflows, spills and other common aquarium mishaps, or the price of year(s) worth of drips hitting the wrong place and the price of exposure to salt creep and high humidity. No controller is immune to them, and I am not singling out the Cerebra in that regard. Insulting those that pre-ordered the unit isn't helpful, but insulting me because I wrote an article that raises questions does? Good grief, hope you guys love your new toy and are as eager to defend it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

I took the time to carefully re-read your article to try to put context to your last comment. You did raise some legitimate questions regarding how the Cerebra will operate, but you went ahead and concluded that the Cerebra would likely not be able to deal with the issues. In the end, it's clearly a very negatively slanted preview of the Cerebra, starting with the Kim Jong Un reference (??) and ending with the conclusion "Somehow in both appearance and potential, the Cerebra smells a bit like Next Computer’s cube. A sleek black box full of nothing but high cost, and supreme disappointment."

I thought this was unfair given what you actually know about the controller. Vertex deserves a fair shot before being written off as the next Cube.

As to your writing philosophy, I appreciate that you don't pander to manufacturers, we need honest reviews in this industry. But the opposite end of that spectrum is no more helpful. I'm sure I'd appreciate more if you did a full review of the Cerebra after putting it through its paces for a few weeks and you actually knew how it it deals or doesn't deal with the very legitimate potential android issues you point out.

I plan to give the Cerebra a long term test along side my Apex and report my impressions, good or bad. Regardless how good it may turn out to be, I doubt it will replace my Apex anytime soon - the ecosystem is so mature and expansive and I rely on so many modules - but I personally think it would be great to have more competition in the controller market.

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kim Jung Un reference was a joke, meant to be funny. If you've read about the North Korean dictator, he often makes "Grand Announcements" or says "Words of Great Importance." The Vertex press release on the Cerebra had this same sort of feel, as did their letter for industry cooperation, which made the Cerebra's launch seem like such an important revolution in marine aquaria that it's simply vital that equipment makers ensure their products sync up with Cerebra. I certainly wasn't insinuating that Vertex is in league with Kim Jung Un, simply comparing the literary style of their releases - jokingly. All of Vertex's Cerebra releases are funny to read IMHO. That said, there are some important things to pick up from all of them. When Vertex called for industry cooperation - they stated that they decided to make Cerebra an Open Source product, and that this decision caused internal debate, "but only for a short while." What they referred to, must have been a debate as to whether or not to allow other product makers to develop apps for Cerebra, as Android (Cerebra's OS) is not open source. Open source is a common term used in the tech sector that describes an OS or program that makes its source code freely available, and freely editable. Having the ability to develop apps for Android is not open source, and not something that would be of any meaningful debate, because the Android OS supports user/company made apps. The only work around is if Vertex installed something into Android that would prevent users from making or installing apps, which would make no sense whatsoever as it would render features of Android obsolete for Cerebra. It could be assumed a company that just developed an aquarium technology "breakthrough" would know the difference between Open Source and an OS compatible with user/product apps. To me, it sounds like over-hype of a natural Android feature (the ability to create apps) and over-stating of said feature (claiming it to be open source). Bottom line - if something runs on Android then it can accept Android based apps unless it's prevented from doing so.

The parallels between the Cerebra and the Next Cube are almost hard to ignore, if you follow the tech world close and are familiar with both products. The Next Cube was to bring about changes to the existing world of computer technology of its time. It took a different approach to computing when compared to other systems, and used powerful hardware and a sleek style to lure consumers. Many tech writers at the time of Next criticized design choices, since much of the Next Cube was integrated and didn't follow the form and function of computing at that time. The film "Steve Jobs" payed careful attention to this period in Steve's design career and showed the tension between he and much of the established tech world, as well as tech journalists. The Cerebra looks like a Next cube with a built in touch screen - and is taking a total departure from other controller technology at this time, by deploying a blanket OS that offers many features unrelated to aquarium controlling. This lumps the Cerebra into the crowded world of Android devices and opens it up to security threats common to that OS. Most controller technology has a very limited OS that performs functions only associated to controlling an aquarium, which makes it a non-target in the world of software malware, viruses and other concerns. You don't run security software on other controllers and that's by design. You don't want to run security software unless you absolutely have to, because it's known to degrade software reliability and performance. This is why so many products and software suggest turning off all security software before installing them.

The Next Cube was plagued by a longer than usual development time, due to a number of bugs that consistently plagued the device. The Cerebra has experienced a longer than average development time, and has been expected to be released several times over the past six-years. It looks much like it did when first announced six years ago, which I find interesting given the massive changes in technology design over the past six years. The Next Cube was one of Steve Job's greatest commercial failures and the system never lived up to the hype - largely due to several bugs that could not be ironed out. That doesn't mean that the Cerebra will meet the same fate as the Next - but it is drawing off technology history that shows when products undergo unusually long development times and are subject to high levels of hype, often they are less than expected. This is why hype is a double sided-blade - it gets lots of people excited and has more certainly led many to pre-order the Cerebra in anticipation of something better, faster and smarter. If the system doesn't meet those expectations, people will be upset. One person on this thread commented that if it doesn't work as anticipated, he will post a video of himself going "office space" on it. If you recall, in Office Space employees of a software firm smash the glitchy fax machine to pieces.

A bias to whom? Clearly, it doesn't show a bias to Vertex, even though I own a bevvy of Vertex products that I am very pleased with. I've personally encouraged friends within the hobby to purchase and install the Vertex line of skimmers, as they are simple, reliable and operate well. I also think their media reactors and dosing containers are hard to beat. Those products didn't raise my eyebrows (both in design and marketing) like the Cerebra has, and don't open a user's aquarium up to potential security threats. There is no bias to any other controller maker, as I don't suggest another controller product that offers the same degree of functionality as Cerebra but simply note that two other leading controllers both opted for a similar structure by implementing a user's existing phone or tablet dispay. I certainly didn't encourage anyone to buy something in Cerebra's place, but simply made people aware of concerns I noted as someone who has covered the marine aquarium world (including its tech) for a long time, and has hands on time with every aquarium controller since their inception. I also didn't suggest that anyone else was preparing a product like Cerebra that might have a better performance outlook. There was no bias in this article at all, for or against anything. It simply looked at the information released about the system and analyzed it. As for credibility, credibility in writing about aquariums is looking out for the best interest of your readers and not pandering to anyone. It's not buying into hype and maintaining a skeptical - experience based approach in analyzing products, methodologies and claims. Credibility is lost in the aquarium media world when personal writers begin accepting free devices and services in exchange for puff-piece editorials that build up hype and praise poor performance in a trademark bait and switch method of generating sales. It happens all the time, but it never works. I personally feel Dave (r2r's owner) did all of his users a great service by reaching out to me, as Dave knows my approach to aquarium writing and also knows that I offer unbiased and informed information about the hobby, etc. I receive more Facebook friend requests, messages and emails every day than I can begin to sift through from aquarists thanking me for information, asking my thoughts on a method or product and requesting aid on their own personal systems. I've helped bring many of their aquariums back to life over the years, and I've helped reef keepers tread the tough path toward progress and success. If overflowing inboxes of thanks and requests for help means no credibility, than you're right, I have none. My suggestion twistedfinn is that if you don't like that approach and you don't want experience to challenge hype and historical data to challenge unsubstantiated claims, you ignore anything that I write. It's unfair and discourteous to others to claim people don't have credibility simply because they are bringing up points you didn't think of, or for some reason you don't agree with. It would be like the weatherman warning of the risk of playing outside in a lightening storm - but you like playing in a lightening storm and don't want to be reminded of the risks - so you claim the weatherman doesn't have any credibility and is sporting a bias toward sunny days.

Furthermore, it's not a product review. Aside from some in-person demos I have seen, I have zero hands on time with Cerebra, and would be in no position to offer a review. There is a MAJOR difference between a product review/test and a simple discussion. I certainly hope it works out for you, but simply the fact that you ordered one won't ensure that it meets the expectations, or is the appropriate device for thousands and thousands of aquarists in need of a reliable controller.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jeremy.gosnell: do you happen to know what android version, ginger bread or ics or the later Android KitKat, Lollipop, for sure not the Marshmallow, they put on the new vertex controller? The chip ARM® Cortex®-A8 was introduced in 2005, I am not sure I got this right, so I am very interested on the Android they adapt to.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a8.php

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article seems like a paid bashing article. All credibility lost for the poster.

Also, to bash a company because they pulled their product several years ago to incorporate relevant features of that time is just plain ridiculous. The company did not want to release a product that did not have all the latest features; even so, releasing the product and adding the features later would screw early adopters. I am pretty much glad a company decided to take time to build the controller till it is 100% ready for the public. There have been several "controllers" released that have failed and many others that were pulled and never showed up. At least this company was still at it and showed the work from waiting.

Apex released the New Unit claiming it was 100% ready and it has wifi connectivity issues which is one of its selling points. Everyone seems to be quiet about that. Not so much uproar ( just a few posts) or articles. Yet, you make an article about a product that hasn't been to any consumer to deter early adopters.

This article makes me glad that I took a chance and bought one even though I will not get to use it till November.
I saw ZERO bashing in Jeremy's article.
He brought up a lot of valid concerns, most of the same concerns I would have. Or you SHOULD have.
And Vertex has not had the best track record. Their doser was plagued with problems when it hit shelves.
Their dosing containers leaked like sieves. I went through three of them before giving up.
Quality control seems to be an issue with them. Maybe not widespread, but enough to give pause.

Listen, folks... we're not talking about a new skimmer, return pump or even a doser here. We're talking about a single piece of equipment that controls your ENTIRE tank.
Some of us have literally THOUSANDS of dollars in live stock. Not only is the monetary value important, but the animal's lives are at stake, as well as what could be years of time and hard work.
I'm sorry, but if you fit the above description, you have to be OUT OF YOUR MIND to fall for the marketing hype and purchase one of these to control your tank and not be skeptical.
Being skeptical is not bashing. It's SMART. Like Jeremy says, a lot of the concerns and questions will be answered eventually. We have to wait and see.
Jeremy is smart. Be like Jeremy.

And personally, I think that box/display is massive. I wouldn't even know where to put the thing.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand how it's useful to bring up concerns about a product that isn't even released yet. I'll follow closely and read reviews by R2R users who start using the Cerebra themselves. I'm fine with the documented concerns about existing problems. But the other conjecture is exhausting.

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I reached out to Vertex, they told me that internal testing was on Android Ice Cream Sandwich (v 4.0-4.0.4) However, they also said they plan to ship units will Android Jelly Bean (v. 4.1-4.3.1). I sent another message to them several weeks ago for clarification. I would think the controller would release with the Android version testing was completed with, as upgrading the OS and shipping before testing could lead to a host of issues. This is another area where Vertex was unable to explain how software upgrades will work. On most current aquarium controllers, the only software that requires an upgrade is the firmware. Apex Fusion is a web application, so it is updated without the need for the user to download and install new Fusion software. Fishbit will likely require firmware updates as well, but is app driven so that the only thing aquarists will need to download is new app versions, which download automatically often. I will say I was impressed with Fishbit's stability and reliability during updates. I was given a Fishbit beta to test and contribute feedback to Current Labs. I found a host of potential concerns with the device, but it was very easy to update and immediately synced with new app features and began working.

Android gets updated rather frequently, often rolling out a host of new features. How will this work on Cerebra, will users be able to update Android within months, a year, etc of a new Android release? Some mobile carriers and cell-phone manufacturers offer Android updates once they've tested new software versions on their systems and hardware. Will Vertex be doing the same, and what lead time can users expect after a new software release, until they can update their Cerebra? This could cause a whole host of compatibility problems for Cerebra users, if they update Android but an app they rely on hasn't been updated to work with the new software. I've had many apps that just stopped working, simply because the designer hadn't updated them for new OS releases, and has no plans to as they've moved on to something else. Say you had a really awesome Cerebra app that controla some facet of your tank, and it simply stops working with a new software update (which is required for some other great feature you want). The app's maker isn't updating anything because they have a new product that doesn't offer Cerebra support, what then?

I install smart home equipment for clients all the time, and have a lot of experience dealing with apps, the cloud, home networks and the fallout of OS updates. Hardware devices are sometimes running one OS version, mobile devices another, while other equipment has outdated firmware. Suddenly, a feature someone depends on (like the ability to watch their home from afar, an air quality monitor, a thermostat, etc) no longer works and the long process to troubleshoot the issue begins. This is the reality of mobile devices and mobile OS's, which is why I think for something that needs ironclad reliability (an aquarium controller) simple may be much better. Vertex has not addressed any of these issues in a fashion that explains how using the Cerebra will work, long term. Also, aquarists will need to be proactive in knowing what software versions the controller is running, what app versions their equipment is running and when updates are mandatory, if they want a hassle free experience controlling their tanks. Much of the media surrounding the Cerebra is so vague it's suspicious. One article pointed out the controller doesn't ship with a lab grade ph probe, but then says, "Oh well, you save so much pre-ordering you can purchase one separately." It seems solely engineered to generate hype and make people disregard better judgement. A controller system that doesn't offer a way to monitor ph out of the box, is arguably an incomplete controller.

As d2mini correctly pointed out, this isn't a skimmer or light fixture that can easily be swapped out. This device will take control over your tank. Yes, it's only 300-400 bucks or so, but A LOT is on the line if something goes wrong.

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't necessarily conjecture glb, but based off known problems with hardware/software products of the same stripes. Once an aquarist has dedicated Cerebra as their control ecosystem and has it set up, it's too late. If something happens within their tank and Cerebra doesn't do what it's supposed to do (because of any predictable issue) everything else is just a wash, especially if it wipes out livestock. You should read about the Vertex Libra dosing pump and the market response once people started using it. Vertex isn't even launching a way to manage and control their own dosing pump with Cerebra. Suspicious? Dissecting the potential of something and asking real questions is far more beneficial then cheering each other on, as we all plunk down money on the same device in a seemingly intoxicated state of excitement and bliss - solely hoping that a company gets it 100% right this time, when in the past they've made mistakes.

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand how it's useful to bring up concerns about a product that isn't even released yet. I'll follow closely and read reviews by R2R users who start using the Cerebra themselves. I'm fine with the documented concerns about existing problems. But the other conjecture is exhausting.
Because that's pretty much the definition of a "concern"... an uneasy state of blended interest, uncertainty, and apprehension.
These are things that may or may not be issues once the product is released. Things that potential buyers should be thinking about.
Once the product is in users' hands and proper time is given to real world testing/use, then we will have FACTS, not just concerns.

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy brought up a lot of good points in the original review. But it is definitely very one-sided. "A sleek black box full of nothing but high cost, and supreme disappointment." A little excessive, don't you think? Especially before the product has even been released, and without any hands on experience. Cautioning user's is good. No one should be beta-testing their loaded tank with a new unproven technology without proper care and redundancy. Test it on a frag tank or a small test tank. Or use it just for monitoring, side-by-side with your Apex or RK.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Kim Jung Un reference was a joke, meant to be funny. If you've read about the North Korean dictator, he often makes "Grand Announcements" or says "Words of Great Importance." The Vertex press release on the Cerebra had this same sort of feel, as did their letter for industry cooperation, which made the Cerebra's launch seem like such an important revolution in marine aquaria that it's simply vital that equipment makers ensure their products sync up with Cerebra. I certainly wasn't insinuating that Vertex is in league with Kim Jung Un, simply comparing the literary style of their releases - jokingly. All of Vertex's Cerebra releases are funny to read IMHO. That said, there are some important things to pick up from all of them. When Vertex called for industry cooperation - they stated that they decided to make Cerebra an Open Source product, and that this decision caused internal debate, "but only for a short while." What they referred to, must have been a debate as to whether or not to allow other product makers to develop apps for Cerebra, as Android (Cerebra's OS) is not open source. Open source is a common term used in the tech sector that describes an OS or program that makes its source code freely available, and freely editable. Having the ability to develop apps for Android is not open source, and not something that would be of any meaningful debate, because the Android OS supports user/company made apps. The only work around is if Vertex installed something into Android that would prevent users from making or installing apps, which would make no sense whatsoever as it would render features of Android obsolete for Cerebra. It could be assumed a company that just developed an aquarium technology "breakthrough" would know the difference between Open Source and an OS compatible with user/product apps. To me, it sounds like over-hype of a natural Android feature (the ability to create apps) and over-stating of said feature (claiming it to be open source). Bottom line - if something runs on Android then it can accept Android based apps unless it's prevented from doing so.

The parallels between the Cerebra and the Next Cube are almost hard to ignore, if you follow the tech world close and are familiar with both products. The Next Cube was to bring about changes to the existing world of computer technology of its time. It took a different approach to computing when compared to other systems, and used powerful hardware and a sleek style to lure consumers. Many tech writers at the time of Next criticized design choices, since much of the Next Cube was integrated and didn't follow the form and function of computing at that time. The film "Steve Jobs" payed careful attention to this period in Steve's design career and showed the tension between he and much of the established tech world, as well as tech journalists. The Cerebra looks like a Next cube with a built in touch screen - and is taking a total departure from other controller technology at this time, by deploying a blanket OS that offers many features unrelated to aquarium controlling. This lumps the Cerebra into the crowded world of Android devices and opens it up to security threats common to that OS. Most controller technology has a very limited OS that performs functions only associated to controlling an aquarium, which makes it a non-target in the world of software malware, viruses and other concerns. You don't run security software on other controllers and that's by design. You don't want to run security software unless you absolutely have to, because it's known to degrade software reliability and performance. This is why so many products and software suggest turning off all security software before installing them.

The Next Cube was plagued by a longer than usual development time, due to a number of bugs that consistently plagued the device. The Cerebra has experienced a longer than average development time, and has been expected to be released several times over the past six-years. It looks much like it did when first announced six years ago, which I find interesting given the massive changes in technology design over the past six years. The Next Cube was one of Steve Job's greatest commercial failures and the system never lived up to the hype - largely due to several bugs that could not be ironed out. That doesn't mean that the Cerebra will meet the same fate as the Next - but it is drawing off technology history that shows when products undergo unusually long development times and are subject to high levels of hype, often they are less than expected. This is why hype is a double sided-blade - it gets lots of people excited and has more certainly led many to pre-order the Cerebra in anticipation of something better, faster and smarter. If the system doesn't meet those expectations, people will be upset. One person on this thread commented that if it doesn't work as anticipated, he will post a video of himself going "office space" on it. If you recall, in Office Space employees of a software firm smash the glitchy fax machine to pieces.

A bias to whom? Clearly, it doesn't show a bias to Vertex, even though I own a bevvy of Vertex products that I am very pleased with. I've personally encouraged friends within the hobby to purchase and install the Vertex line of skimmers, as they are simple, reliable and operate well. I also think their media reactors and dosing containers are hard to beat. Those products didn't raise my eyebrows (both in design and marketing) like the Cerebra has, and don't open a user's aquarium up to potential security threats. There is no bias to any other controller maker, as I don't suggest another controller product that offers the same degree of functionality as Cerebra but simply note that two other leading controllers both opted for a similar structure by implementing a user's existing phone or tablet dispay. I certainly didn't encourage anyone to buy something in Cerebra's place, but simply made people aware of concerns I noted as someone who has covered the marine aquarium world (including its tech) for a long time, and has hands on time with every aquarium controller since their inception. I also didn't suggest that anyone else was preparing a product like Cerebra that might have a better performance outlook. There was no bias in this article at all, for or against anything. It simply looked at the information released about the system and analyzed it. As for credibility, credibility in writing about aquariums is looking out for the best interest of your readers and not pandering to anyone. It's not buying into hype and maintaining a skeptical - experience based approach in analyzing products, methodologies and claims. Credibility is lost in the aquarium media world when personal writers begin accepting free devices and services in exchange for puff-piece editorials that build up hype and praise poor performance in a trademark bait and switch method of generating sales. It happens all the time, but it never works. I personally feel Dave (r2r's owner) did all of his users a great service by reaching out to me, as Dave knows my approach to aquarium writing and also knows that I offer unbiased and informed information about the hobby, etc. I receive more Facebook friend requests, messages and emails every day than I can begin to sift through from aquarists thanking me for information, asking my thoughts on a method or product and requesting aid on their own personal systems. I've helped bring many of their aquariums back to life over the years, and I've helped reef keepers tread the tough path toward progress and success. If overflowing inboxes of thanks and requests for help means no credibility, than you're right, I have none. My suggestion twistedfinn is that if you don't like that approach and you don't want experience to challenge hype and historical data to challenge unsubstantiated claims, you ignore anything that I write. It's unfair and discourteous to others to claim people don't have credibility simply because they are bringing up points you didn't think of, or for some reason you don't agree with. It would be like the weatherman warning of the risk of playing outside in a lightening storm - but you like playing in a lightening storm and don't want to be reminded of the risks - so you claim the weatherman doesn't have any credibility and is sporting a bias toward sunny days.

Furthermore, it's not a product review. Aside from some in-person demos I have seen, I have zero hands on time with Cerebra, and would be in no position to offer a review. There is a MAJOR difference between a product review/test and a simple discussion. I certainly hope it works out for you, but simply the fact that you ordered one won't ensure that it meets the expectations, or is the appropriate device for thousands and thousands of aquarists in need of a reliable controller.

TLDR

Its really not that important. It will either work well or not. Time will tell.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because that's pretty much the definition of a "concern"... an uneasy state of blended interest, uncertainty, and apprehension.
These are things that may or may not be issues once the product is released. Things that potential buyers should be thinking about.
Once the product is in users' hands and proper time is given to real world testing/use, then we will have FACTS, not just concerns.
Fair enough.

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
furam - You're right that people shouldn't be testing a product on a tank full of livestock and assuming a new (never before released) product will do everything it's supposed to, or operate without significant challenges. However, I would guess there will be people putting their new Cerebra controllers on established tanks. If you look over Facebook comments and comments to articles about the system, it's without a doubt many people are excited to install it on existing, established and advanced aquariums. It's good advice to tell someone that just bought a new SUV not to learn to drive it on snowy/icy roads in a blizzard, but there are always those too eager to use good judgement. Vertex hasn't offered a major beta test that I am aware of - as if they had, we would have some better evidence to examine how this product works. One user said they view the introductory price as a beta test, but as I pointed out - beta testers have a line of communication with hardware/software developers. Vertex is offering a reduced introductory price, likely to drum up hype and spur a sales surge. This may sound AWESOME to some, but isn't the best sign of things to come. Usually, when a company is confident in something they are confident enough to sell it at full price. Vertex has never been known as a cheap manufacturer of aquarium products, so I am very confused by Cerebra's sudden value price. I would challenge anyone to purchase a Libra dosing pump, use it and then tell me that they feel confident having the company that made the Libra, take control over their entire tank.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do beta testing for one of the controller companies. You are correct that we do have access that the normal customer does not have. If we didn't it would not be effective. We do not usually talk about things that are going on outside of the test group until it becomes public knowlege or it is ok with the company. So it is possible that there are beta testers out there that are not yet talking but the closer to release it comes the more unlikely it is. You are correct that there is a certain amount of risk with using any newly released controller no matter who the manufacturer is. I would use caution with any new release no matter who built it.

TurboTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex just looks bulky and some what dated already. The power bars look like something you would see on a IT tech bench. How many people have room for that cube? Touch screen is great and I am sure the vertex performs most functions as it should but its like dating a super model and driving her around in your parents 1878 LTD station wagon with wood paneling.. i mean it leaves lots of room for back seat fun but its not that appealing from the outside :) a good portion of the people in this hobby have great pride in the tanks and the equipment and I just dont see this controller as appealing. Even if its never seen you want it to perform and look equally well

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost pulled the trigger on the cerebra, and I'm glad I didn't. It's been too long in the making not to have the bugs worked out and have solid information.. with sold release dates that don't get postponed. I'm holding out for the apex system that uses apple, and doesn't require a tech rep to write code for you to fully utilize the system. With today's technology that should be a no brainer.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a display is a disadvantage.. LOL.
I wouldn't say it is a disadvantage. With all the personal devices people have now days it is not a decideing factor on the purchase for most users. I have a controller without it's own display and I have not missed it in the least. I just use my iPad to access it wherever I happen to be. I have things in the garage and at the tank. My display can go with me in both places. It is not in a fixed location. That can be a plus.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back