Is this a problem

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is another post on here I just found .

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it's your call on rock,i would remove immeadiatly ,run in can or tub of some sort ,the longer in there the more it will absorb,do you have inverts? plan on having ,or coral? what size tank do you have

OP
OP
J

jettpeterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's your call on rock,i would remove immeadiatly ,run in can or tub of some sort ,the longer in there the more it will absorb,do you have inverts? plan on having ,or coral? what size tank do you have
A 60 gallon and no inverts but I plan to put corals. I only put 3 ounces of copper if that matter

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the link above is exactly what to do about rock and sand,i would remove rock asap,sand another day..:(

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
couldn't tell you 3oz ,how much absorbed ,but sooner the better on rock ,too late on sand imo? @Jay Hemdal ?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank, and I planned on keeping corals, I’d pull everything out of the tank, I’d toss the sand and the rock (especially if it was dry rock, as its less expensive). Toss any filter media, and give the tank and all equipment a thorough washing and rinsing (probably a few times). I’m not advising you to do that, that’s just what I’d do, copper and heavy metals are just incredibly difficult to get rid of once introduced and can be detrimental if not deadly to inverts and corals even at tiny amounts. Its an expensive mistake. Always consult the experts or the forums before using any chemicals or additives you’re not 100% familiar with. If your QT tank isn’t big enough to house your fish while your tank re-cycles, take them to the LFS and have them babysit them (after you’ve finished treatment for the ich).

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as the copper is already in .
I see it as 2 options
1) run it as is medicated to cure the fish with intentions of discarding all rocks and sand ( which will essentially re-cycle the tank again

2) remove the fish and put him In a qt and Dose copper .
while qt is running throw the sand out , and add rocks to tote or brute can to try curing and rinsing the copper out

essentially , the utmost important issue is the proper care of the fish .
moving forward , you will have many issues later if the copper is in your dt .
the longer it’s in there , the more will be absorbed

OP
OP
J

jettpeterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank, and I planned on keeping corals, I’d pull everything out of the tank, I’d toss the sand and the rock (especially if it was dry rock, as its less expensive). Toss any filter media, and give the tank and all equipment a thorough washing and rinsing (probably a few times). I’m not advising you to do that, that’s just what I’d do, copper and heavy metals are just incredibly difficult to get rid of once introduced and can be detrimental if not deadly to inverts and corals even at tiny amounts. Its an expensive mistake. Always consult the experts or the forums before using any chemicals or additives you’re not 100% familiar with. If your QT tank isn’t big enough to house your fish while your tank re-cycles, take them to the LFS and have them babysit them (after you’ve finished treatment for the ich).
I’m sorry but I’m trying to understand how 3 ounces of copper in a 60 gallon aquarium is that big a deal can someone explain

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the link on post #21 is basically what needs to be done to fix,the longer rock is in copper the more it will absorb.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but I’m trying to understand how 3 ounces of copper in a 60 gallon aquarium is that big a deal can someone explain
Any amount of copper, no matter how tiny, is toxic to corals and invertebrates. Copper bonds to the rocks and sand, and bonds to it, making it very difficult, if not impossible, to completely remove, and it then leaches out slowly over time, long after you've done water changes or run carbon to remove the copper from the water column. Maybe your future hermit crabs or snails will be ok, maybe not. Corals are much more touchy to water chemistry than fish, though, and do you want to risk losing them, especially if they're pricey ones?

OP
OP
J

jettpeterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any amount of copper, no matter how tiny, is toxic to corals and invertebrates. Copper bonds to the rocks and sand, and bonds to it, making it very difficult, if not impossible, to completely remove, and it then leaches out slowly over time, long after you've done water changes or run carbon to remove the copper from the water column. Maybe your future hermit crabs or snails will be ok, maybe not. Corals are much more touchy to water chemistry than fish, though, and do you want to risk losing them, especially if they're pricey ones?
Thank now I understand

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I do about that when I’m done treating the copper
Afterwards, you can remove all of the animals, drain the tank, refill with freshwater and drop the pH to around 5 and hold it there for a few days. Repeat the process and check the water for copper. Repeat until the copper is no longer leaching out. With a single copper treatment, you may only have to do this once, but I'm not positive.

Jay

Back