Is this an asterina?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 weeks in the tank, my live rock finally revealed a couple hitchhikers. They are starfish of some kind, look pretty close to asterina, but would like confirmation. I have spotted 2 so far, just wondering if I should go ahead and remove now.

Sorry for picture quality
PzQmrH9.jpg

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep those are asterina stars. Not all are bad, in fact some say none are. I used to just throw them in my sump but nowI feed them to the harlequin shrimp.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep those are asterina stars. Not all are bad, in fact some say none are. I used to just throw them in my sump but nowI feed them to the harlequin shrimp.
I heard they munch on corals... is that true?

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single picture of one eating a coral, so yes, they can. Mine ate coralline, so I got rid of them.

I believe they can too but some people get upset when I say that so I try not to be too adamant about it.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard they munch on corals... is that true?

I've heard that a bunch but mine have a taste for coralline. I wake up every morning to find hundreds of white dots where they munched on throughout the night. I'll be getting a harlequin soon. Some of the asterinas I have are an inch big

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the odds are low, but I can't ignore the picture.

I've seen them doing it in my own tank. At first I chalked it up to them cleaning up dead tissue on coral that were already dying but then they would just take out the zoas completely. I ended up finding that if I kept the stars off the coral they would recover. So now I pick them out whenever I see them.

Next time I see one munching on the head of a zoa polyp ill take a picture.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. After seeing some other threads where people were battling asterina infestations, im just going to take them out before they multiply.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could share the picture I have. I'm trying to get a hold of the photographer. It's the only picture I've ever seen where there is no doubt it is having a meal.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a picture of something that was in print, so it would be illegal. I don't even remember the name of the book to tell you where to look at it. I just contacted him this week and hopefully he'll get back to me.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a picture of something that was in print, so it would be illegal. I don't even remember the name of the book to tell you where to look at it. I just contacted him this week and hopefully he'll get back to me.
Haha I was joking. I believe you. The fact that they eat coralline alone makes them unwanted guests in my eyes.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got permission to scan the image and use it for the guide. Yay!! It will take me a bit to find it, though, because even though I now know the source, I don't know the issue.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back