Is this Dino? Help

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am looking to see if this is Dino? This is in my Coral quarantine tank and I was getting ready to add coral to my display tank and I want to know if this is Dino and what your recommendation is to beat it? Also I assume it’s a bad idea to add the coral to my display? Clean them and then add? Wait? Thanks. Don’t mind the coral, it has a bad head. You can see the algae on it.

Attachments

• IMG_5999.MOV
    6.9 MB
  • IMG_6002.MOV
    7.7 MB
OP
OP
Paul Kachirsky

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vids might not work

D8DBD78C-BFC7-49FF-8753-F853272A1AD3.jpeg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like dinos to me. They hit my 10 gallon coral quarantine tank and looked just like that on the egg crate. I put a green machine UV in mine and they went away pretty quickly.

I think you have a bit of a conundrum on your hands. On one hand, I would try to “eliminate” them before you move the coral. But, I doubt you can keep them out of your display honestly.

Lets see what @taricha would do.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vids might not work

D8DBD78C-BFC7-49FF-8753-F853272A1AD3.jpeg
Could well be; does it reconstitute quickly when you syphon out? If so you want a good microscope to identify species because treatment is species specific in some cases. Many, many treatments discussed on R2R. I wouldn't put corals in DT until they are managed; dinos are almost always present at some level. Assume you checked nitrate and phosphate to see if they bottomed out.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Paul Kachirsky

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like dinos to me. They hit my 10 gallon coral quarantine tank and looked just like that on the egg crate. I put a green machine UV in mine and they went away pretty quickly.

I think you have a bit of a conundrum on your hands. On one hand, I would try to “eliminate” them before you move the coral. But, I doubt you can keep them out of your display honestly.

Lets see what @taricha would do.
Did you have issues with it getting in your display?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have issues with it getting in your display?
I already had dinos in my display. My tank tank just got over an amphidium battle that wiped out my acros and a few other thing. As Mikedawg mentioned, there are likely dinos present at low levels. When we give them conditions so that they thrive, they can take over.

So I did end up moving corals from my coral quarantine to my DT. Even though I don’t see dinos in my DT, I bet if if I got my microscope out, I could find a few.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's much easier to take action against the dinos in the quarantine tank than in a full display tank.
Get UV and vacuum. Try to keep dinos off the coral tissues. Corals don't last long with dinos directly attaching.

OP
OP
Paul Kachirsky

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's much easier to take action against the dinos in the quarantine tank than in a full display tank.
Get UV and vacuum. Try to keep dinos off the coral tissues. Corals don't last long with dinos directly attaching.
How do you clean them off the corals?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I syphoned ovata into a 1 micron sock () to capture them and then returned the water to my tank.

This size worked good for me.

MysticSea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did for a 180 gallon display coral tank was manually remove the Dinos with turkey baster. Then did a small water change to get the rest floating (20% water change). I then added heterotrophic bacteria like from SeaChem Pristine of Vibrance works. Cut down the light 6 hours for three days and never had a out break again. I added a refugium and several macroalgae species that helped.

OP
OP
Paul Kachirsky

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did for a 180 gallon display coral tank was manually remove the Dinos with turkey baster. Then did a small water change to get the rest floating (20% water change). I then added heterotrophic bacteria like from SeaChem Pristine of Vibrance works. Cut down the light 6 hours for three days and never had a out break again. I added a refugium and several macroalgae species that helped.
Thanks for the tips. I will have to get some heterotrophic bacteria. I have been using Fritz 9.

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Check out this picture. You sure its Cyano?

IMG-6065.jpg
100% cyano. I don’t know why lately everyone thinks they have dinos. Dinos are actually pretty uncommon. If you had dinos, they would be much more stringy, full of bubbles elevating the structure, and thick snotty.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree similar look to Dino’s, not cyano, but it’s a moot point because you really need a microscope pic to know for sure.

Once ID is confirmed it will let you know best way to battle it. Different techniques for different cells.

you can get a pretty cheap microscope on amazon, snap a pic and post it on here and there are some R2R members that are really good at identifying types of Dino’s or other protists/bacteria.

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's Dinos. Poidog is wrong on this one
Possibly. I agree, a microscopic sample to properly identify is the correct first step. My reasoning at first for cyano was maybe more of an old school mentality. I recently got back in after 7 years off. Back in 2010 dinos were a rare occurrence with people freaking out thinking they had it, when it was only snotty cyano. Now, it seems like dinos is the new tank herpes and much more common.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back