Is this goni dead?

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or is it just closed up? It's been like this for about a week, some cyano grew over it which irritated it I think about week ago and I blew it off

20220526_161240.jpg

eaquintero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me a while to find which one you meant. It looks like its one it way out except for that tiny piece of flesh, but it looks a bit too late to turn it around.

Irregardless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bub, its a goner. Gonis are a PITA. I've had about 75% success rate with the more exotic ones. What kind was it?

Irregardless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, but I think this one is done =/
I'm having a real hard time with them recently as well. I'm currently 1 for 3 on my last glitterbombs(if this one doesnt die). Sucks hard dude. They're my single favorite and I just want a small colony in my tank!

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a real hard time with them recently as well. I'm currently 1 for 3 on my last glitterbombs(if this one doesnt die). Sucks hard dude. They're my single favorite and I just want a small colony in my tank!
Yes, I think mine died cause of the cyanobacteria, I also have an amazeballs that is doing well so far.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's still alive, any advice? Looks like some coralline has grown on it? Should I leave it alone?
20220612_085541.jpg

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not really a lot that you can do at this point. It's probably toast but you never know...
Well before it looked dead but now it seems like the polyps are starting to extend again. My question is should I try to frag it? Like the part that is still alive

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well before it looked dead but now it seems like the polyps are starting to extend again. My question is should I try to frag it? Like the part that is still alive
It's a catch-22, especially if it is recovering slightly. Myself, I'd be inclined to not stress it further (at least for a little while, anyway), but ultimately you probably have a better vantage point to observe how it's actually doing.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a catch-22, especially if it is recovering slightly. Myself, I'd be inclined to not stress it further (at least for a little while, anyway), but ultimately you probably have a better vantage point to observe how it's actually doing.
Thanks, I'll leave it alone

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll leave it alone
I had four small goniopora frags and one colony that weren't doing great, One looked similar to yours does now, and despite a bit of color/flesh I finally threw in the the towel after a month. I moved the colony and it's done a 180, one of the frags has totally perked back up and the others are doing well - but the two remaining have developed some black spots just along the edges of the skeleton (not sure if they're long for this world or not, either).

My biggest challenge is keeping them upright as some of the reef life is determined to keep knocking them unglued...

Last edited:

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One was given to me free that looks like yours. Initially one polyp tucked away, now extends slightly after a month or so. Id leave it alone too. Seems to be recovering on its own. The stress or fragging it might be too much.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had four small goniopora frags and one colony that weren't doing great, One looked similar to yours does now, and despite a bit of color/flesh I finally threw in the the towel after a month. I moved the colony and it's done a 180, one of the frags has totally perked back up and the others are doing well - but the two remaining have developed some black spots just along the edges of the skeleton (not sure if they're long for this world or not, either).

My biggest challenge is keeping them upright as some of the reef life is determined to keep knocking them unglued...
you moved it to a new tank?

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One was given to me free that looks like yours. Initially one polyp tucked away, now extends slightly after a month or so. Id leave it alone too. Seems to be recovering on its own. The stress or fragging it might be too much.
ya mine was healthy to start but seemed to go downhill after cyano

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back