Is this good for a 55 gallon

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve come up with a list of fish for my 55 gallon and I was wondering if this is good for my tank and they are all compatible So the fish are in a green filefish dwarf fuzzy lionfish Midas blenny blue streak cleaner wrasse yellow chorus wrasse

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about the rest of them, but the lionfish will eat anything it can fit in its mouth, and, since it grows to ~7 inches, that includes every other fish in your list there. So it’s a no go compatibility wise. You might be able to swap it out for a Fu Manchu Lionfish which gets to ~4 inches, but you would want to verify that with some of the more experienced predator keepers on the forums here, and the tankmates would need to be larger than it from day one.

The Green Filefish and the Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse have minimum recommended tank sizes of 90 gallons, so you might be able to keep them for a while, but you’d probably end up having to rehome them eventually. Hopefully some people who have kept these fish can offer some more insight on the matter for you.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve come up with a list of fish for my 55 gallon and I was wondering if this is good for my tank and they are all compatible So the fish are in a green filefish dwarf fuzzy lionfish Midas blenny blue streak cleaner wrasse yellow chorus wrasse

I would not do a Lionfish in a 55. Not even a dwarf. @lion king ?

What are your goals for this tank? Small predator? FOWLR? Mixed reef?

Obviously, the first thing that attracts anyone to this hobby is the livestock. This is understandable. However, before you start a stock list, you need to have a clear direction to go. Not all SW tanks are alike. Equipment and other things come into play when designing your tank.

For example... A FOWLR (fish only with live rock) tank really needs only the simplest of equipment. A glass box, stand, filter and a light. A mixed reef requires a bit more. Predator tanks are generally much larger. You can get away with a 55 for a while, but depending what you stock in it, you will soon run into issues as your fish grow and compete for food and space.

My own 55g is a mixed reef and is very heavily stocked (17 fish and about 75 corals). It is also VERY well filtered and lighted so it runs quite well.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuzzy is fine for a 55g, but I would be concerned of small wrasses. The body shape of a small wrasse makes them an easy prey for a lionfish. Sizing is very important, I would get a small lion well under 3"; read through some my of my threads for care and more importantly feeding. If you are not aware, dwarf lions do take special care, especially in diet and feeding. A large midas blenny and a large filefish would be fine if started with a small fuzzy. The 55g is one of those tough tanks for a dwarf lion because your choice in tank mates become more difficult. They need to be large enough to not be eaten yet adequate for the tank size.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same with others, the lionfish will eat smaller fish. Green filefish (i think aiptasia eating filefish?) are hit or miss with eating corals if you are trying for a reef tank

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same with others, the lionfish will eat smaller fish. Green filefish (i think aiptasia eating filefish?) are hit or miss with eating corals if you are trying for a reef tank
They’re actually different fish (Green Filefish = Acanthaluterus spilomelanura, Aiptasia Eating Filefish = Acreichthys tomentosus; it’s also not to be confused with the other Green Filefish = Monacanthus ciliatus, which - thankfully - is better known by some of it’s other common names).

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, wasnt sure what they meant. the confusion caused by common names is so annoying

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blue streak cleaner would be a nice snack for a lionfish and they usually do better with much bigger tanks to clean fish all day. FOWLR predator tanks are usually much bigger as well. A single very small trigger might do well in it for awhile as they take awhile to grow but will eventually outgrow the tank as well

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back