Is this HLLE?

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Tang has had this white around his eyes for a long time. It does t seem to get worse or better. I think it is HLLE and will start soaking his food in vitamins and garlic. I just want to make sure it is HLLE and not something else, none of my other fish have this on them.

8DC7A365-9D3F-40D0-92B3-715E8B389AD5.jpeg

DB47733F-DB96-4DC8-B2D1-A69069F1E2A5.jpeg

2F964078-6F10-4452-B161-8FB60C1CF626.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is awhile?

Noticeably worsened over what period of time?

This could be HLLE, it’s a strange case of, however.

Garlic won’t help with HLLE, the best supplement for HLLE is zoecon to soak foods in, avoid using carbon that hasn’t been rinsed thoroughly (no dust), make sure there is not any DC in the tank, and most importantly IMO ensure nori access 2/3 of the day, and alternate between types. I regularly feed green and red. Essentially, provide enough that when you come home from work it’s all gone or close to it, but had access to it all day.

OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it’s been this way for about 6 months... maybe longer as much year. It doesn’t seem to have changed for the worse or better and always though it would just go away. I have had the fish since June of 16. I have a tomini tang in the tank and it has never shown this.
I have fish vitamins from aqua forest, will soaking food in that help it? Or should I go find zoecon?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it’s been this way for about 6 months... maybe longer as much year. It doesn’t seem to have changed for the worse or better and always though it would just go away. I have had the fish since June of 16. I have a tomini tang in the tank and it has never shown this.
I have fish vitamins from aqua forest, will soaking food in that help it? Or should I go find zoecon?
I’d try zoecon. The high omega oil content helps.

Bristletooth tangs are not generally afflicted by HLLE, or at least not nearly as often.

OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank you! I am heading to the LFS this week and pick it up and hope Yellow recovers quickly!

OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get home around 6-7 every day and my lights go from 1-12 everyday including sunrise and sunset. Should I put Nori in before I go to work? Or just when I come home and make sure there is some leftover when I am going to bed? Don’t want to ruin the water quality as it seems that can play a part in it as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get home around 6-7 every day and my lights go from 1-12 everyday including sunrise and sunset. Should I put Nori in before I go to work? Or just when I come home and make sure there is some leftover when I am going to bed? Don’t want to ruin the water quality as it seems that can play a part in it as well.

I would do it when you come home (when the lights are on), so it can be eaten before it starts to break apart in the saltwater.

OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought. I cut the nori up into strands so when the fish pick it off the clip it's just a little bit at a time, there were a couple strands left on the clip last night and this morning they were still there. I figure that can be a morning snack and then when I get home I will make sure that there is lots of nori for them for the rest of the evening.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back