Is this how it supposed to be?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instructions specifically say there will be an air gap. As someone mentioned there is fluid in the tip attachment accounting for the air gap.
Yes, that was me and i was stating what was in the directions but apparently that DQ’s me from building engines, despite the fact that I’m an engineer. :)

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that was me and i was stating what was in the directions but apparently that DQ’s me from building engines, despite the fact that I’m an engineer. :)
He might be able to build an engine but not use a syringe.
Its just bad that he's so sure of how to do it the wrong way. Hope he doesnt teach anyone how to test their water.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just bad that he's so sure of how to do it the wrong way. Hope he doesnt teach anyone how to test their water.
I’m just saying .25 of air can’t be right when tip is maybe .10

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I will bet you if OP tries again and with a little practice he could probably cut that bubble size at least in half which would that make his testing more accurate

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink tip plus the little tip of the syringe might add up? Who knows really. I could grab my calipers and figure out a rough volume calculation as a test.
And I will bet you if OP tries again and with a little practice he could probably cut that bubble size at least in half which would that make his testing more accurate
Ive found that if you pull the plunger fast it may suck in air through the section between the pink tip and the tip of the syringe. Pull slow to get a better result.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has the pink little tip, like all Salifert test kits that use a syringe have, it absolutely is around 0.25. I have never in my reefing career had air come in through the black rubber stopper on a syringe that was in working condition (I have had old syringes where the rubber got kind rigid and crusty and they no longer sealed, but that takes years). I think you may have been doing these tests wrong, if you’re using the included tip on the syringe, there should be a roughly 0.25 air bubble in the syringe. If you’re tipping the syringe up and getting rid of the air and then filling the syringe up with fluid all the way to 1ml, your test will be inaccurate because you’re using (roughly) 1.25ml of fluid. Here’s an easy way for you to test it, put the tip on the syringe, and draw up some fluid to the top of the tip, then point the tip upward and pull that fluid into the syringe, then measure the amount of fluid with the markings on the syringe, you will find that the amount of fluid is roughly 0.25 (again this is using the pink inch long tip).

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink tip plus the little tip of the syringe might add up? Who knows really. I could grab my calipers and figure out a rough volume calculation as a test.

Ive found that if you pull the plunger fast it may suck in air through the section between the pink tip and the tip of the syringe. Pull slow to get a better result.
Yes this is 100% I’ve stated this already if you lubricate black rubber part and pull slowly and evenly you virtually will have 0 air pocket.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has the pink little tip, like all Salifert test kits that use a syringe have, it absolutely is around 0.25. I have never in my reefing career had air come in through the black rubber stopper on a syringe that was in working condition (I have had old syringes where the rubber got kind rigid and crusty and they no longer sealed, but that takes years). I think you may have been doing these tests wrong, if you’re using the included tip on the syringe, there should be a roughly 0.25 air bubble in the syringe. If you’re tipping the syringe up and getting rid of the air and then filling the syringe up with fluid all the way to 1ml, your test will be inaccurate because you’re using (roughly) 1.25ml of fluid. Here’s an easy way for you to test it, put the tip on the syringe, and draw up some fluid to the top of the tip, then point the tip upward and pull that fluid into the syringe, then measure the amount of fluid with the markings on the syringe, you will find that the amount of fluid is roughly 0.25 (again this is using the pink inch long tip).
Yes I think my issue is I never use the pink tip. And I have had the air pull past rubber plunger in every single plastic syringe I’ve used. And then after lubrication usually my saliva no more air. Even happen on my nyos nitrate testing syringes

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a Minute ? Why would you read that at the black rubber and not the actual fluid line ? The black rubber is at 1.0 but there is only .75 of fluid in the syringe.
You would never use the entire .75 to complete the test .

but to correct ; I thought the instructions videos on YouTube say to empty and fill a few times and it “should” be .85ml with the rubber at 1.0

I’ll have to do a test to see for myself

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is pretty much industry standard. Nowhere I have read that says the syringe should be filled all the way to the line with liquid.

Even if you don't have the tips on, there is still a small amount of air in the syringe tip.

Why only 8 drops of ca-2
The salifert test I have says 10 drops .
and when filling to 1ml the fluid is at .85

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
michael jackson halloween GIF by Vevo

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal. Wanna test it. Start dripping it and if liquid is still coming out by the time the black bottoms out then it was dead on. If it stops dripping before that somehow you drew excess air. If you draw back up after bottoming out and see liquid. Somehow you drew too much (people will stupidly draw invert the string tap out the air then draw a second time)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just posting these typed words to see if we can get to Page 5 over an air gap inside a syringe. there's been this air gap since I started testing in 2007. What 14yrs ago?

I think covid has attacked nearly everyone's central nervous system and their reaction to stimuli

rabid matthew broderick GIF

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the picture is correct, and I agree there is way too much air in the syringe. It should only be about .05 ml of air or is it .15ml? Anyways if the syringe is fully submerged when you suck the fluid in, the air is going to be what it is supoosed to be.

muffinmanXL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess I'm also not cut out to build engines or I've been using syringes wrong my entire life :D He got pretty triggered there; made for a fun read

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm also not cut out to build engines or I've been using syringes wrong my entire life :D He got pretty triggered there; made for a fun read
The question still remains why can some draw up that syringe with virtually no air pocket at all and others draw it up with .25 air pocket somebody’s got to be right and wrong and I assume the ones with the bigger air pocket is wrong. And with that being said I guess I’m wrong in assuming 1 mL of fluid being required should actually get 1 mL of fluid. And it’s not my fault that in this world the manufacturer has to put in the directions information for the people who Have a hard time drawing up a syringe without air and I’m sure the manufacturer did not want to answer all these questions so they give a percentage or a margin of error and say it’s OK

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially what this is going to do if the person doing this test cannot get that air pocket the same every time the readings will be off but if you have no air pocket every time and just fluid you’re readings will be or I should say your test will be tested the same but if your air pocket varies from .25 to .05 every time you take a test it throws off your readings I am very precise in the testing that I do in my life and on my tanks and this would be important to me maybe it’s just me I’m sorry

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back