Is this ick? Clownfish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang and the cardinal are new as of about two weeks ago. The tang has been in my LFS for over a month and the cardinal since August though so I don’t think they’d have issues right? LFS is very clean in their tanks.

Also looking closer, the clown’s fins are pretty beat up. Maybe he’s been getting picked on more?
My immediate thought was this clown is getting picked on. The fin damage, hanging at the surface and the missing scales all point to that. You won't likely see it happen because when you are in the room, the fish may stop fighting. There is also the possibility that it is getting picked on because it is weak from being sick though.

OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes as it contains a small level of prazi. Other option is Ruby Rally Pro which takes a little longer.
There has Not been formalin for some time which there is only formaldehyde and is risky as it has to be broken down to 37%
I found some formalin but when I got home today he was dead. This is what he looked like. Other fish are still ok with no signs. Any suggestions on what I can do to help prevent them having issues?

Attachments

• IMG_7663.jpeg
    IMG_7663.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7662.jpeg
    IMG_7662.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My immediate thought was this clown is getting picked on. The fin damage, hanging at the surface and the missing scales all point to that. You won't likely see it happen because when you are in the room, the fish may stop fighting. There is also the possibility that it is getting picked on because it is weak from being sick though.
I found formalin today but when I got home he was already dead. Not sure if it’s from the shock of the FW bath and ick treatment I did yesterday or what. Any tips on what I can do to help protect my other fish? They aren’t showing any signs of sickness.

Attachments

• IMG_7663.jpeg
    IMG_7663.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7662.jpeg
    IMG_7662.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
mdock

mdock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way to be 'totally sure' - based on what you've said I stand with my original post.
I got formalin today but when I got home he was already dead. Does this still look like brook? Any tips for what I can do to protect the other fish? They still look fine.

Attachments

• IMG_7663.jpeg
    IMG_7663.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7662.jpeg
    IMG_7662.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 6

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I found some formalin but when I got home today he was dead. This is what he looked like. Other fish are still ok with no signs. Any suggestions on what I can do to help prevent them having issues?
Sorry to see ad I can tell you it likely died from aggression/injury opposed to disease. You will want if you have not already identify the culprit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found formalin today but when I got home he was already dead. Not sure if it’s from the shock of the FW bath and ick treatment I did yesterday or what. Any tips on what I can do to help protect my other fish? They aren’t showing any signs of sickness.
See the tattered fins? If they looked like that before the fish died, this was tankmate aggression.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got formalin today but when I got home he was already dead. Does this still look like brook? Any tips for what I can do to protect the other fish? They still look fine.
It is impossible to say out of water, and post mortem. The fish may have had an illness (since it hadn't completed QT), but agree with @vetteguy53081 and @Jay Hemdal that the most likely cause of death with this fish was aggression. That said you have added a lot of new non-quarantined fish (if I'm remembering the thread correctly) and generally - I would recommend using the QT protocol and fallow period for the rest of the fish. If you cannot do that - Ruby rally pro per directions would be the next best thing IMHO for the rest of the fish. Again - I would watch your parameters closely as well (as you had some ammonia issues up front

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back