Is this polpy bailout?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I reset my tank after a myriad of issues. The tank was set up on Oct 15th with rinsed live rick (essentially dead rock), no sand and I added Fritz Turbostart. I have a chalk bass in there since Oct 20th and have seen no ammonia or nitrite spike since then.

I got a shipment of corals today (it came early due to an error on the merchant's part, the requested arrival date was Nov 12th). All corals were looking good in their bags. I drip acclimated them until the water doubled (30 min) and added the frags to my tank.

The torch and lobo frags bubble up instantly. They seem to be doing better now (after 2 hours). Is this polyp bailout? I noticed that the water they were in was going cold during acclimation.

Parameters:
Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 10.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <5

IMG_0722.jpg
IMG_0721.jpg
IMG_0723.jpg

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird that you drip acclimated but did not float them or didn't mention it. You probably shocked them if the water was cold before going into the tank. With their water being cold, then you dripping into their bag, the water is still cold...you gotta float. I'd say float >>>>>>>>>>>MUCH MORE IMPORTANT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Drip acclimate

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I totally forgot about floating them.

The water was not cold initially, when I took them out of the package. I thought the water was getting colder during the drip acclimation.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Three things that are a sure bet to bailout-
- too much water flow
- lights too bright at introduction
- acclimation done incorrectly: floating, adjusting parameters incorrectly and testing bag water before entering specimen into display tank

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would guess that the hammer was already in bad shape before you opened the bag and not acclimating it to similar parameters? Also, I agree with floating the bags first and I never drip acclimate corals; I got 0 losses so far.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would guess that the hammer was already in bad shape before you opened the bag and not acclimating it to similar parameters? Also, I agree with floating the bags first and I never drip acclimate corals; I got 0 losses so far.
Me too. I empty bag into a bucket after floating and add a cup of water every 15 minutes 6-8 times and verify salinity before moving into display

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The salinity of water they came in was 1.026, my tank is kept at 1.025.

The torch was actually in very good shape when it came in. The polyps were extended and everything was looking fine. So were all other frags.

I think I messed up by not floating them or the tank was too new.

Is there anything that I can or should do now?

Update: The flesh on the corals is now receding and I can see the skeleton beneath them, trying to poke through the skin.

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a few questions that may help point towards or away from specific issues:

1. What lighting are you running? Do you know how much PAR your getting?
2. What kind of flow are you getting in the tank?
3. How old is your tank? (Or how long has it been running)
4. What are your full parameters (calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, phosphate, nitrate, PH etc.)

If the corals were shocked with temp change there’s a good chance they will bounce back if everything else is in check.

I think under or over lighting can have this effect. Improper flow can have this effect. An Immature tank with low stability can have this effect as well as parameters being out of whack. Even stray voltage or a contaminant can also do this.

Your tank looks pretty new. Personally I did not have a great experience adding corals in the beginning And I think it was due to an immature system. It was at about a year with the tank that I saw things start to thrive.
Just my two cents lol. Hope this helps. Take care and happy reefing.

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
1. What lighting are you running? Do you know how much PAR your getting?
2. What kind of flow are you getting in the tank?
3. How old is your tank? (Or how long has it been running)
4. What are your full parameters (calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, phosphate, nitrate, PH etc.)
  1. AI Hydra 32HD on the AB+ spectrum. I have placed the frags towards the bottom of the tank. They should be getting around 100PAR (if I have to guess).
  2. I have a sump with chaeto. I have 2 Jebao SLW-20M working at 50% (each 1000gph at the current setting).
  3. The tank is a 29g. It was reset on Oct 15th. I washed all the rocks in freshwater and then rinsed in RODI water. I added Fritz Turbostart after the initial ammonia hike and have not seen a hike since. I also run BRS 0.8 carbon.
  4. Parameters:
    • Salinity: 1.025 (Milwaukee digital refractometer)
    • Alk: 10.8 (Hanna checker)
    • Ammonia: 0 (API)
    • Nitrite: 0 (API)
    • Nitrate: <5 (API, looks like 0 to me)
    • pH: 8.0 (API)
    • Temp: 78f
I will get calcium, magnesium, and phosphate checked at the LFS today.

Edit: added temp.

Last edited:

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks ok- but the reset was two weeks ago. May still need to mature.

I would pick up those other tests and test regularly.
Also if you just added today, maybe observe over the next few days and see if they improve or get worse.

Other then the young tank and missing test kits- things don’t look bad to me. I would guess either shock or tank is not mature enough. But I’m no expert, just my guess.
Sorry I don’t have more help to offer. I hope they recover for you.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it's not old enough. Probably massive instability still. Probably a big difference in PH/ALK at least.

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a single chalk bass in there. The corals were added today morning. The first set of pics was about 2 hours after adding the frags and the second set of pics was 4 hours after adding the frags.

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My plan was to do a 20% water change (first water change since reset) this weekend and start testing Alk and pH every day. The shipment was a surprise to me as I was expecting it only on Nov 12th.

I guess I will just keep my hands out of the tank and will keep an eye on the frags.

Back