Is this STN?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hotdrop
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

hotdrop

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2019
Messages
608
Reaction score
559
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this frag up from a local reefer for a couple bucks and I noticed it was odd that the frag had no tissue around its base. It’s been sitting in my qt tank for about 5 days and I haven’t really seen any signs of tissue recession as it looked like this when I bought it but wanted some more knowledgeable people to weigh in and give advice.

First SPS frag I’ve owned. Night time lit with flashlight

49FF7DCE-1821-4CB7-A9E1-60AFBA397E63.jpeg
 
Looks to me like old die-off or that area had be shaded previously. I say that because the dead area looks like it is covered in algae 100%. Usually there will atleast be a little white ring you'll be able to see of die off where algae hasn't had time to grow over yet. The flesh near the dead area looks healed to me.
 
Could be an invasive algae, there are types of algae which grow beneath the coral tissue and kill them.
I'd probably frag it.
 
Thanks, I’m going to leave it alone for now and see what it looks like after a month or 2
 
Take weekly pics once in the display tank and compare them to this one. It really helps to have a few "time lapse" photos to judge what is going on...
 
The frag will heal and encrust faster than it will grow back over dead skeleton. I would wait a while until it is stable from the move and then frag off the dead stuff and remount it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new