Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On sea chem is between 0 and alert and according to my brother he’s been like this for about 2 3 hours , as for oxygen I have a air stone somehow it was set to medium and I turned it 100 percent
On your badge, are you shining a light on the back to read it? Or is your QT very well lit?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to do the same thing - but I'm not sure the hashtag for reef squad is working - so @HotRocks, @4FordFamily @Brew12 can you weigh in - and to the OP - can you post a picture?
Pictures or a video of the behavior would be helpful for sure.

Registering ammonia on a badge is concerning to me. What kind of tang is it and how large? A 10g is a very small tank for a tang even for QT purposes.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say ammonia could be a problem... Can you walk us through a timeline from when you acquired the fish? More specifically, how long ago did you get him and did you get him from a LFS or online and any treatments you may have used to this point.

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After fresh water dip not sure what is it reddish streaks ?

5818E9D1-ED19-4F54-9B33-8811B6067563.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures or a video of the behavior would be helpful for sure.

Registering ammonia on a badge is concerning to me. What kind of tang is it and how large? A 10g is a very small tank for a tang even for QT purposes.
Video is attached to the first post. Shows a relatively healthy looking Yellow Tang sticking its mouth out of the water in the corner of the tank like it is gasping for air.

I suspect either parasite damage, ammonia, or possibly a rapid salinity change.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it could be ammonia burn. Did you use any Biospira or proven beneficial bacteria product to introduce bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and on? (The nitrogen cycle).

Ammonia even in small amounts is deadly

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is attached to the first post. Shows a relatively healthy looking Yellow Tang sticking its mouth out of the water in the corner of the tank like it is gasping for air.

IME, it is probably an issue related to oxygen. The kicker is it could be oxygen deprivation from parasite damage, ammonia burn, or low O2 in the tank itself.

A methylene blue bath for 30 min would probably be the first thing I could recommend and then we need to figure out the actual cause to give the fish an environment to recover within.

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just done a 50 percent water change things are not looking well for this fellow on the bottom of the tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Right - I cant see the video on my browser for some reason - it is just a gray triangle (which I thought was a play button - but it did nothing). Thanks for responding.

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia testing showing 0.4 to 0.8 more towards 0.8 this was testing after 50 percent water change . Yellow tang is still hanging in there underneath the rock . Added metro plex , probably wouldn’t do anything .. is 0.8 ammonia on Red Sea nitrate test kit capable of being a eating qt fish down in a few hours ?

6AD2FD3B-AB7C-49F9-84A3-9DA73CB8D73A.jpeg

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, it is probably an issue related to oxygen. The kicker is it could be oxygen deprivation from parasite damage, ammonia burn, or low O2 in the tank itself.

A methylene blue bath for 30 min would probably be the first thing I could recommend and then we need to figure out the actual cause to give the fish an environment to recover within.
What’s this methyl blue ? I might look into it tmr

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it could be ammonia burn. Did you use any Biospira or proven beneficial bacteria product to introduce bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and on? (The nitrogen cycle).

Ammonia even in small amounts is deadly
Bioaprida was introduced to live rock in my main dt , I just took one love rock from there

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say ammonia could be a problem... Can you walk us through a timeline from when you acquired the fish? More specifically, how long ago did you get him and did you get him from a LFS or online and any treatments you may have used to this point.
Lfs has him for a day at 1.015 and copper it was the fattest one that ate , brought him home , next day fed him some nori was accepting food .

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ammonia testing showing 0.4 to 0.8 more towards 0.8 this was testing after 50 percent water change . Yellow tang is still hanging in there underneath the rock . Added metro plex , probably wouldn’t do anything .. is 0.8 ammonia on Red Sea nitrate test kit capable of being a eating qt fish down in a few hours ?

6AD2FD3B-AB7C-49F9-84A3-9DA73CB8D73A.jpeg
I know you probably mean 'is 0.8 ammonia on a Red Sea 'ammonia' (not nitrate) test kit. But
Yes - .8 ammonia is too high - you need to use Prime (again assuming there is no copper in the water) - if you have already used prime (with your water change) - remember that many ammonia tests will conti9nue to read as positive - even though ammonia bound to the prime. What does the badge say?

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you probably mean 'is 0.8 ammonia on a Red Sea 'ammonia' (not nitrate) test kit. But
Yes - .8 ammonia is too high - you need to use Prime (again assuming there is no copper in the water) - if you have already used prime (with your water change) - remember that many ammonia tests will conti9nue to read as positive - even though ammonia bound to the prime. What does the badge say?
Badge is reading safe to alert in between

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs has him for a day at 1.015 and copper it was the fattest one that ate , brought him home , next day fed him some nori was accepting food .
And you set your QT up at 1.015 to match the LFS? Might be worth double checking your method of salinity testing.
If you only had him home for a day you effectively did one step of a tank transfer process. It is unlikely that a new generation of parasites has caused new damage. I feel that confirms what you are seeing is an ammonia issue. You've added Prime which is a good first step.
A methylene blue bath for 30 min would probably be the first thing I could recommend
I think this would be the right first step if you have it and he makes it that long.

I would also add at least 1/2 of a small bottle of Biospira to your QT. The rock may not have brought enough bacteria with it, especially if your DT is only a few months old.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bioaprida was introduced to live rock in my main dt , I just took one love rock from there
Unfortunately this wouldn’t cut it. I use a bottle in quarantine, I think this is your culprit- particularly in tight quarters.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back