Issue with the G5 firmware update?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great news, glad to hear everyone is happy with Mobius now. Guess its time to put my order in and wait since they are out of stock everywhere lol...

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new update worked, everything is running flawlessly right now.. Thank you Ecotech for being on it during a pandemic!!!

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes after I did the second firmware update everything seems to be doing much better. Have not noticed any lights out of sync nor have I had to cycle power. Now hopefully they will get on with making mobius a bit more usable and enabling wifi. The standing next to the tank phone only Bluetooth control is well past getting old. Really don't like not having any remote control of the lights.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about going with the G5 blue. So everyone here likes the light. Because it's alot of money to throw at lights. Thanks

Ruinsedge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes after I did the second firmware update everything seems to be doing much better. Have not noticed any lights out of sync nor have I had to cycle power. Now hopefully they will get on with making mobius a bit more usable and enabling wifi. The standing next to the tank phone only Bluetooth control is well past getting old. Really don't like not having any remote control of the lights.

Not sure how it is on iPhone but if my phone screen shuts off during a firmware update the update fails. I gotta keep tapping my screen and not walk away from the tank until it's done so it doesn't fail. I'm happy with the light itself now, but 30% happy on how I control it. It works, but it's tedious, annoying, clumsy, and lack of remote access via WiFi.

Plus is there a frigging light off button at all? I could just be dumb. I don't mean kill power just go to 0% intensity. I have a hinged canopy so when I open the canopy the lights shoot right at my face. So I get blinded trying to get to the fixtures button, or I can just pull the power which I don't want to stop the fans if the lights are hot, or go through the tedious Mobius "light > edit > intensity > slide to 0% > save > back > resume schedule". Then the reverse to put it back to my desired intensity. An "off toggle" would be much more useful than disco light mode and the other things on the home screen.

Still fine with my purchase here, but now my biggest annoyance is just turning the thing down to open my canopy. On my Apex I just hit the virtual socket switch to off on my old lights and they went dark but still powered for fans. I always planned to hook a magnet switch to my canopy to automate it with my Apex in the past but lost a light and upgraded.

Well upgraded my light. Downgraded my control.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how it is on iPhone but if my phone screen shuts off during a firmware update the update fails. I gotta keep tapping my screen and not walk away from the tank until it's done so it doesn't fail. I'm happy with the light itself now, but 30% happy on how I control it. It works, but it's tedious, annoying, clumsy, and lack of remote access via WiFi.

Plus is there a frigging light off button at all? I could just be dumb. I don't mean kill power just go to 0% intensity. I have a hinged canopy so when I open the canopy the lights shoot right at my face. So I get blinded trying to get to the fixtures button, or I can just pull the power which I don't want to stop the fans if the lights are hot, or go through the tedious Mobius "light > edit > intensity > slide to 0% > save > back > resume schedule". Then the reverse to put it back to my desired intensity. An "off toggle" would be much more useful than disco light mode and the other things on the home screen.

Still fine with my purchase here, but now my biggest annoyance is just turning the thing down to open my canopy. On my Apex I just hit the virtual socket switch to off on my old lights and they went dark but still powered for fans. I always planned to hook a magnet switch to my canopy to automate it with my Apex in the past but lost a light and upgraded.

Well upgraded my light. Downgraded my control.
Sounds like you haven't ventured into the "scene" portion of mobius. A scene is a lot like a virtual outlet or in your case with lights could be achieved with one of the feed buttons on apex.

You can go in and create a scene to temporarily set your lights to whatever spectrum and intensity for the amount of time you choose. It's fairly intuitive but I did come across a video that ecotech put out for creating a scene.

At this time, using a reed switch to trigger that scene isn't possible.

And as far as having your phone screen stay awake during updates, you can go into your phone setting to set a longer duration.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was starting to second guess myself. I sold off everything and I am able to get back into the hobby. Had G4 pros and just ordered the G5 Blues. Fingers crossed

Ruinsedge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was starting to second guess myself. I sold off everything and I am able to get back into the hobby. Had G4 pros and just ordered the G5 Blues. Fingers crossed

Don't sweat, they are great lights. The controls are all there that you need. They are just all still being fine tuned and polished.

Sounds like you haven't ventured into the "scene" portion of mobius. A scene is a lot like a virtual outlet or in your case with lights could be achieved with one of the feed buttons on apex.

You can go in and create a scene to temporarily set your lights to whatever spectrum and intensity for the amount of time you choose. It's fairly intuitive but I did come across a video that ecotech put out for creating a scene.

At this time, using a reed switch to trigger that scene isn't possible.

And as far as having your phone screen stay awake during updates, you can go into your phone setting to set a longer duration.

I'll give it a shot. Just assumed there was something I was missing since people do turn their lights off frequently for maintenance.

Also yeah I could set my phone screen to stay on and leave my phone on the tank stand to update. But that's a setting I'd have to change every update. Ain't killing battery for a random firmware update. Just nitpicky complaints for now. Besides wifi and remote access. That's my only big gripe haha.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sweat, they are great lights. The controls are all there that you need. They are just all still being fine tuned and polished.

I'll give it a shot. Just assumed there was something I was missing since people do turn their lights off frequently for maintenance.

Also yeah I could set my phone screen to stay on and leave my phone on the tank stand to update. But that's a setting I'd have to change every update. Ain't killing battery for a random firmware update. Just nitpicky complaints for now. Besides wifi and remote access. That's my only big gripe haha.
You know what you still have after you polish a turd right? I’m joking I love my G5’s :D

Ruinsedge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what you still have after you polish a turd right? I’m joking I love my G5’s :D

Haha mythbusters actually polished up turds before. Craziness. Took forever but was doable.

Yeah it's been a rough ride so far until these hit their full potential. But as early adopters this is the stuff we deal with to help the future buyers.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha mythbusters actually polished up turds before. Craziness. Took forever but was doable.

Yeah it's been a rough ride so far until these hit their full potential. But as early adopters this is the stuff we deal with to help the future buyers.
I just hope Longevity of the product will be there for us. It has been a very rocky start for these lights but all seems to be good now. I’m on my 3rd 30 day acclimation tho cause I can’t stop buying corals from these online sales I can’t wait to see there full potential

Ruinsedge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hope Longevity of the product will be there for us. It has been a very rocky start for these lights but all seems to be good now. I’m on my 3rd 30 day acclimation tho cause I can’t stop buying corals from these online sales I can’t wait to see there full potential

I see it lasting as long as any other generation. Granted I think it launched a little prematurely. I can't believe that schedule bug made it through to end users. Can't wait till Mobius is wifi with web interface and I'll be smitten.

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been helpful to read everyone's feedback. I've been thinking of buying two Gen 5 xr30's so would you suggest waiting a couple months just to make sure all the kinks are worked out or should I pull the trigger now?

Ruinsedge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been helpful to read everyone's feedback. I've been thinking of buying two Gen 5 xr30's so would you suggest waiting a couple months just to make sure all the kinks are worked out or should I pull the trigger now?

Good to buy. Only thing right now is you have to be standing at your tank to adjust the lights via your phone. If that doesn't bother you no need to wait.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back