It just gets better and better...

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago my lfs convinced me to buy some live rock to speed up my cycle.

It was a huge mistake.

First, I got GHA.
Next, I saw an aiptasia coming out of the rock. They sold me some F-Aptasia to get rid of it. It worked. The next day I saw multiple aphasia coming out of the rock along with a bunch of bristle worms. I discarded the rock.

This week I found several bristle worms in my remaining rock along with more aptasia.

And just last night I found bubble algae nesting right in the middle of my pulsing xenia.

Needless to say, I'm really frustrated at this point. I'm 8 months into my 1st tank and it's been one headache after another.
20210929_191255.jpg
20210928_195350.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear of your troubles! I'm new as well but started with dry rock and live sand. I know live rock is probably better but as a newbie the thought of trying to deal with the operational aspects of a new saltwater tank and possible pests and/or things like aiptasia at the same time was too much for me to contemplate so I went dry. Hopefully more experienced folks can help you through some of these issues. I think most will say bristleworms are good (within reason and assuming you're not overrun) but aiptasia and bubble algae need to be dealt with.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that you’re probably better off than you would be without live rock.

We all deal with these annoyances, especially in a new tank.

There are good ways of getting rid of aptasia and bristle worms are decent detritivores. If you really want to get rid of them there are predators.

This hobby is all about problem solving. There is joy in problem solving, but only if you embrace the journey.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworms can be good but I, and some others, don't keep them in my tank. You can search the forum here for easy to make bristleworm traps if you want to get rid of them. It's the fireworms that are the bigger problem. The worm in your picture looks like it could actually be a fireworm. As far as bubble algae, emerald crabs are cheap and do a pretty good job on it. Aiptasia is a pain that nearly everyone deals with at some point but it it treatable with Kalk paste, aiptasia x, Joe's juice, or you can inject them at the base with either lemon juice or white vinegar. You don't need to throw any more rocks away :)

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Another little surprise that live rock brought me: Vermetid snail! Found another today.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are overreacting. None of these things are a big deal and most are inevitable when you start adding coral.

You will get GHA when you add frags, keeping nutrients balanced will prevent it from going wild. Same for bubble algae.

Aptasia is not the end of the world, it's common, not particularly destructive, and can be killed with kalk paste.

Bristle worms are generally good or neutral. Fireworms may eat soft corals so get rid of those.

Relax, the ocean is a diverse ecosystem, it's not sterile. There are nasty pests out there, you don't have any of them yet.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are overreacting. None of these things are a big deal and most are inevitable when you start adding coral.

You will get GHA when you add frags, keeping nutrients balanced will prevent it from going wild. Same for bubble algae.

Aptasia is not the end of the world, it's common, not particularly destructive, and can be killed with kalk paste.

Bristle worms are generally good or neutral. Fireworms may eat soft corals so get rid of those.

Relax, the ocean is a diverse ecosystem, it's not sterile. There are nasty pests out there, you don't have any of them yet.

+1

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back