This. Sounds. Epic.
Happy Too Cute GIF by Tiny Tina's Wonderlands

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the ribbon gets into the display. It is her tank. Still hoping my firefish wont become food. I am sure that isn't possible.

Thumbs up for ribbon in a reef. Not for firefish being eaten.

I clearly need to go back and catch up so I can find pics of this marine danger noodle lol

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thumbs up for ribbon in a reef. Not for firefish being eaten.

I clearly need to go back and catch up so I can find pics of this marine danger noodle lol
Don't worry, I get you. It's a risk. But, if I really care, I'll pull him from the reef and put him in the qt for trade. I don't know how I feel on this gamble.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry, I get you. It's a risk. But, if I really care, I'll pull him from the reef and put him in the qt for trade. I don't know how I feel on this gamble.

He might surprise you. When I first got I to the hobby and was only running the 40b at parents place, I had a trio of firefish. Time passed and one by one, there was only one left. Then the fish who lived disappeared.

Mind you, the most predatory fish I had in that tank was a valentini puffer and he just liked clams. Otherwise puffy James was a bit of a coward. Additionally, the only things I had in that tank were a ceramic hobbit hole, some plastic plants, and to pick elbows for my clowns.

Anyway, when I would do water changes, I would take all of the decorations out to wipe down and rinse off. I would also breakdown and clean the HOB.

. Firefish had disappeared at this point. Never found it during said changes. Then, once I had moved out of my parents place into my house, it appeared again lol.

Not saying this will happen to you. And this was a heck of a tangent. But I'm sitting here watching a bucket slowly fill up with water sooo lol

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not saying this will happen to you. And this was a heck of a tangent. But I'm sitting here watching a bucket slowly fill up with water soon lol
I have been there several times in my life. I loved every tank being put up. My last 2 ribbon eels loved crustaceans. Mostly shrimp. They had 0 interest in clown fish. Only wanted the food the clowns were getting. I have seen reef safe fish just go on killing sprees, well behaved predators, and these forums have opened the doors to bigger surprises. Like cat's using the reef for a litter box. I'll never forget that one.
I got time. I have to figure out how to ask the husband if I can keep the 60 up and running as a molly tank. I know what he is going to say...
We were shopping at petsmart. I was looking for mollies to feed to eel. I told him he could have a ship in the tank when we were at petsmart. He almost took a bite. He walked over to the decoration isle and he knew right then what I was up too. He slowly walked away....

The nightly conversation was even better. "You should write a review on petsmart "You guys don't have a single fish I would feed my eel!" He looked at me and asked. "You made the reef tank for an eel feeding ground, didn't you?"

That's been the conversation since she's been downing mollies. She got bored of those.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have gold eagles where do I see some?
They are near the lake. Could be as @sp1187. Said. Juvi bald.

From some illinios gov site.
Illinois Has A Growing Eagle Population, With At Least 3,100 Bald Eagles Who Winter Here Each Year In At Least 27 Illinois Counties

so probably balds.

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are near the lake. Could be as @sp1187. Said. Juvi bald.

From some illinios gov site.
Illinois Has A Growing Eagle Population, With At Least 3,100 Bald Eagles Who Winter Here Each Year In At Least 27 Illinois Counties

so probably balds.
I've seen some in decatur very cool bird

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Husband now wants a cat. I don't like to mix cats with rough toddlers. I don't even like cats.

I know I'm late to cat conversation, I'm a dog person, never really cared for cats...and now. I feed the feral cats in my neighborhood and am working with a local group capturing and neuter/spayed. You see this is a human problem, it's sad these cats have to live on the streets, but they are wild and you can't touch them. One that we couldn't catch just had kittens and they are living in my backyard, they really are sooo cute. My current frenchie doesn't give a hoot, my last frenchie and rottie would have had them for lunch. Weirdly I look for them when I drive in from work now.

Not my best video. She pretty much huffed at my skewers so I gave up. Tossed the krill into the tank and let her go to town.

She knows the difference. I was hoping to see her peel the krill though.

Check out an Asian market to see if they have human grade krill, I wrote a thread about the difference and why lfs krill really isn't a good choice. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/human-grade-krill.912978/

Once the ribbon gets into the display. It is her tank. Still hoping my firefish wont become food. I am sure that isn't possible.

The firefish are toast, their body shape and floaty swim swim style is just asking to be eaten. But clowns on the other hand, their robust body shape and erratic swim style, along with likely having a little attitude, will probably be fine.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I'm late to cat conversation, I'm a dog person, never really cared for cats...and now. I feed the feral cats in my neighborhood and am working with a local group capturing and neuter/spayed. You see this is a human problem, it's sad these cats have to live on the streets, but they are wild and you can't touch them. One that we couldn't catch just had kittens and they are living in my backyard, they really are sooo cute. My current frenchie doesn't give a hoot, my last frenchie and rottie would have had them for lunch. Weirdly I look for them when I drive in from work now.

Check out an Asian market to see if they have human grade krill, I wrote a thread about the difference and why lfs krill really isn't a good choice. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/human-grade-krill.912978/

The firefish are toast, their body shape and floaty swim swim style is just asking to be eaten. But clowns on the other hand, their robust body shape and erratic swim style, along with likely having a little attitude, will probably be fine.
I am worried about the freshness of fish food. I stopped the silver sides, there's no packaging date. They didn't smell bad on my first offering. They smell bad now. I'll go to the asian this week end. She's bored of mollies.

I'll need to make a fish trap for the goby. Maybe transfer him to the qt when the eel is ready to go to dt. That wont be easy.

My mom in law, there's a cat issue because a lady brings them food. They have 3 to 4 litters a year. No, can't touch. They are feral. It's a very insane situation. Animal control refuses to do anything.

I love dogs. And fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am worried about the freshness of fish food. I stopped the silver sides, there's no packaging date. They didn't smell bad on my first offering. They smell bad now. I'll go to the asian this week end. She's bored of mollies.

I'll need to make a fish trap for the goby. Maybe transfer him to the qt when the eel is ready to go to dt. That wont be easy.

My mom in law, there's a cat issue because a lady brings them food. They have 3 to 4 litters a year. No, can't touch. They are feral. It's a very insane situation. Animal control refuses to do anything.

I love dogs. And fish.

What happened here is when the housing market crashed just before I moved here, humans just discarded their pets and moved out. The neighborhood probably had more cats than humans when I moved in. It's a never ending situation now, we trap them and try to control the population but there's no real end. Sadly you will occasionally see a discarded house pet, you can always tell. Humans caused this and I'm not shy about telling people this, it;s not the fault of the cats. Funny I just had the same rant towards someone about the lionfish invasion. You see humans hunted and collected many of the lionfish predators in the region, sharks and eels; that's what caused the problem. So I get so upset when other humans try and blame the lions.

Back to business. The eel may be getting finicky about eating if you are feeding too often. By now a couple times a week should be fine for feeding, feed her her fill, she'll let you know when she's full.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back to business. The eel may be getting finicky about eating if you are feeding too often. By now a couple times a week should be fine for feeding, feed her her fill, she'll let you know when she's full.
She's not a glutton for sure. She was hungry today. I'm glad she doesn't over indulge. I clean up everyday to prevent ammonia spikes.
Tomorrow is prazi treatment for flukes. Not sure if 3 rounds is necessary.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's not a glutton for sure. She was hungry today. I'm glad she doesn't over indulge. I clean up everyday to prevent ammonia spikes.
Tomorrow is prazi treatment for flukes. Not sure if 3 rounds is necessary.

I've had great success with 2 rounds. I do the 2nd dose 5 days after the 1st. I've found it very effective after the 1st dose, the 2nd dose is to take care of any eggs that have hatched. It doesn't kill the eggs so the 2nd dose is needed after they hatch and before the newborns lay eggs. I don't see why a 3rd round is needed.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had great success with 2 rounds. I do the 2nd dose 5 days after the 1st. I've found it very effective after the 1st dose, the 2nd dose is to take care of any eggs that have hatched. It doesn't kill the eggs so the 2nd dose is needed after they hatch and before the newborns lay eggs. I don't see why a 3rd round is needed.
Thanks for that info. Hopefully after next week she adapts well to the dt.

She recognizes everyone. Even the dog. She only uses pvc to sleep in. She's always exploring the rocks.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pup Reaction GIF by Justin
google Fox River Grove IL Lake Co. 2018-19 ? bald eagles nesting live cam ?
was really cool.
whole area was protected ,and filmed .
from the WI border south they run the rivers to the Mississippi ... :)

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pup Reaction GIF by Justin
google Fox River Grove IL Lake Co. 2018-19 ? bald eagles nesting live cam ?
was really cool.
whole area was protected ,and filmed .
from the WI border south they run the rivers to the Mississippi ... :)
One of the babies fell out of nest and died :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back