OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's just fluke treatment for now. I don't feel prazi is near as harmful as other meds we use. I don't like going broad spectrum, when there's no sign of danger. But, that's me.

Plus side. Eli looks like she'shas gained weight. It's almost been 2 weeks. That's long enough to see weight gain, right?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just fluke treatment for now. I don't feel prazi is near as harmful as other meds we use. I don't like going broad spectrum, when there's no sign of danger. But, that's me.

Plus side. Eli looks like she'shas gained weight. It's almost been 2 weeks. That's long enough to see weight gain, right?

At that size you should be able to see active growth. Eels grow very fast, many reaching full size in not much more than a year. I have never seen any questionable repercussions from prazi or metro. But I have charted many questionable ends with most other meds; copper for sure, along with antibiotics, formalin and formalin alternatives like seachem paraguard. All fish are not the same and eels are especially sensitive to any chemicals, this includes tank cleaners and pest eradicators. Some people think that because they don't drop dead right away, there hasn't been an internal injury that shows up at a later date. I know eels presently living into the teens that were treated for flukes and/or internal parasites with prazi or gc. But I don't know one eel that survived a year after treatment with copper, with antibiotics or formalin maybe a little longer, a year and a half.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At that size you should be able to see active growth. Eels grow very fast, many reaching full size in not much more than a year. I have never seen any questionable repercussions from prazi or metro. But I have charted many questionable ends with most other meds; copper for sure, along with antibiotics, formalin and formalin alternatives like seachem paraguard. All fish are not the same and eels are especially sensitive to any chemicals, this includes tank cleaners and pest eradicators. Some people think that because they don't drop dead right away, there hasn't been an internal injury that shows up at a later date. I know eels presently living into the teens that were treated for flukes and/or internal parasites with prazi or gc. But I don't know one eel that survived a year after treatment with copper, with antibiotics or formalin maybe a little longer, a year and a half.
Solid information. I'd never know these things without being able to search for it. I'm grateful for being informed. When I returned to the hobby, I did a bunch of reading on the old dip methods. I couldn't believe the horror I've done in the past.

Just the old story of "30 minutes in methylene blue, 90 in formalin, 5 minutes fw". My youthful years I just said ok. In my older years, it sounded cruel. 5 minute fw bath I can understand l. The rest proved to have consequences.

I don't like copper, methylene blue, or formalin. And thankfully, we wont need to walk that road.

I'm happy she's growing quickly. Her appetite seems to match. I did go to the asian store and got frozen smelt (silver sides). They don't smell at all. No shrimp. Their sea food isle is lacking sadly. But, it will do.

Long post.. :downcast-face-with-sweat:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid information. I'd never know these things without being able to search for it. I'm grateful for being informed. When I returned to the hobby, I did a bunch of reading on the old dip methods. I couldn't believe the horror I've done in the past.

Just the old story of "30 minutes in methylene blue, 90 in formalin, 5 minutes fw". My youthful years I just said ok. In my older years, it sounded cruel. 5 minute fw bath I can understand l. The rest proved to have consequences.

I don't like copper, methylene blue, or formalin. And thankfully, we wont need to walk that road.

I'm happy she's growing quickly. Her appetite seems to match. I did go to the asian store and got frozen smelt (silver sides). They don't smell at all. No shrimp. Their sea food isle is lacking sadly. But, it will do.

Long post.. :downcast-face-with-sweat:

Be careful with the smelt, they do contain a good amount of thiaminese, but being fresh frozen, just use within a year and feed sparingly.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
She's going in dt today. Water was raised to 1.026 over last week. Temp is at 78.9, dt is 80. Wonder how the fish will respond.
To being hunted?
scatter-run.gif

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a few surprises in these pics. If you know me. Throughout the years. I kind of just wing it.
I do not know if this is a good thing or bad thing. I placed her in tank before lights kicked on. She instantly found the pvc tunnel. Fish woke up and didn't really care she was there. She settled in pretty quick. I am used to fish being terrified of new additions and new additions being in a panic.
20220710_095805.jpg
20220710_100144.jpg
20220710_100151.jpg

I would have taken a video, only under morning lights it too blurry and can't see anything. Update later. For now, time for the park. Little one wants to get out of the house.

P.S.... Clowns are stupid...

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a few surprises in these pics. If you know me. Throughout the years. I kind of just wing it.
I do not know if this is a good thing or bad thing. I placed her in tank before lights kicked on. She instantly found the pvc tunnel. Fish woke up and didn't really care she was there. She settled in pretty quick. I am used to fish being terrified of new additions and new additions being in a panic.
20220710_095805.jpg
They are so close lol.
I LOVE how your tank is coming along! :star-struck:

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to try and find raw crab. All I see in grocery stores is pre cooked. Eli loves shellfish.

Fed the fish and she came out and nabbed some of their slurry. I was trying to offer her oyster slices. She didn't care. The moment the fish began to eat, I guess she got triggered.

On a big note. She has shown 0 interest in the firefish. She's been focusing on my copperband. I'm sure she's scared of the cbb.

Cbb has been reflection fighting. I'm hoping this phase passes soon.

I am no longer going to target feed the ribbon. She can grab a bite when she wants.

Also, husband said I can get a 20g to put mollies in. Should be big enough for 1 eel.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try and find raw crab. All I see in grocery stores is pre cooked. Eli loves shellfish.

Fed the fish and she came out and nabbed some of their slurry. I was trying to offer her oyster slices. She didn't care. The moment the fish began to eat, I guess she got triggered.

On a big note. She has shown 0 interest in the firefish. She's been focusing on my copperband. I'm sure she's scared of the cbb.

Cbb has been reflection fighting. I'm hoping this phase passes soon.

I am no longer going to target feed the ribbon. She can grab a bite when she wants.

Also, husband said I can get a 20g to put mollies in. Should be big enough for 1 eel.
If your up for a road trip to cle I have a 29 you could have. Prob cost you 3x as much in gas to get here tho. So happy to here she is settling in well.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back