It's just a tank

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really sad when birds set themselves up so the fledglings will die.

We have a pair of robins that made a nest in this little vent thing on the side of our has up by the peak of the roofline.

Lo ND behold. Found two babies with broken bones and only saw two others hopping around.

Stupid birds

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's really sad when birds set themselves up so the fledglings will die.

We have a pair of robins that made a nest in this little vent thing on the side of our has up by the peak of the roofline.

Lo ND behold. Found two babies with broken bones and only saw two others hopping around.

Stupid birds
A lot of nest mates kill each other off too. Birds are monsters.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is an absolutely terrifying statement if you've actually had velvet.
Yes, and it was an easy to get through process. 1. Don't sit on your butt with your thumb as a plug. 2. Get treatment going right away! It doesn't fix itself.
fish keeping for 30+ years. Velvet is the terror of a tank. I don't know why people second guess treatment :(

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, there were bath preventatives for velvet. 1 was a meth(sp check) blue bath, ruby rally, fw dip... Usually worked. But, there's a matter of when the bomb goes off. I also don't like whatever that ingredient is in ruby rally. Fish seem to live 2 to 3 years after exposure. Not 100% but a common, I lack words... Common gathered hobby stuff.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and it was an easy to get through process. 1. Don't sit on your butt with your thumb as a plug. 2. Get treatment going right away! It doesn't fix itself.
fish keeping for 30+ years. Velvet is the terror of a tank. I don't know why people second guess treatment :(
I suppose if you Know you're watching for it (as in putting something in that May be dirty), it may be easy to get through. Visual symptoms such as a light dusting are the last thing to appear with Velvet. By the time you see any, respiration has already been affected in a major way, fish are often off food and the progression is very hard to break at that point if even possible.

Every fish needs to be brought up to therapeutic levels Immediately, which that in itself can be enough to cause dieoffs.

Methelene Blue, RR (formalin based) can help reduce.

I'm well equipped to deal with an outbreak and I still live firmly on the island of 1% chance, is too much of a chance, for My tanks.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suppose if you Know you're watching for it (as in putting something in that May be dirty), it may be easy to get through. Visual symptoms such as a light dusting are the last thing to appear with Velvet. By the time you see any, respiration has already been affected in a major way, fish are often off food and the progression is very hard to break at that point if even possible.

Every fish needs to be brought up to therapeutic levels Immediately, which that in itself can be enough to cause dieoffs.

Methelene Blue, RR (formalin based) can help reduce.

I'm well equipped to deal with an outbreak and I still live firmly on the island of 1% chance, is too much of a chance, for My tanks.
That's the things though. Most people aren't ready. They don't even have meds ready. By time the meds are purchased. Velvet has made it's claim. I've seen a lot of fish die in pet stores from velvet. It's horrible.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's doing good. No mollies for her today. I'll try frozen tomorrow. I think she had enough from yesterdays meal.

She'll be ready for the dt soon. We'll see if she brings in any velvet. I doubt it

Please do not use any of those meds, eels and lions have alot in common, and many lions don't survive long after exposure to those meds. I believe the commonality in alot of the fish I keep is their metabolism, which in turn would mean their process of eliminating toxins.

Healthy eels will not transfer protozoan diseases, they can not attach themselves to the super thick slime coatings eels have. I have never seen a eel ever be affected by ick or velvet, I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I've never seen it. I'm sure a stressed, sickly eel could be susceptible; but a heathy eel at the least is very resistant to protozoan diseases.

I have literally transferred a ribbon eel from a tank that had been wiped out by velvet and no one was effected in the new. That new tank had inhabitants that went on for years and the ribbon eel was still going strong the last time I heard.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please do not use any of those meds, eels and lions have alot in common, and many lions don't survive long after exposure to those meds. I believe the commonality in alot of the fish I keep is their metabolism, which in turn would mean their process of eliminating toxins.

Healthy eels will not transfer protozoan diseases, they can not attach themselves to the super thick slime coatings eels have. I have never seen a eel ever be affected by ick or velvet, I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I've never seen it. I'm sure a stressed, sickly eel could be susceptible; but a heathy eel at the least is very resistant to protozoan diseases.

I have literally transferred a ribbon eel from a tank that had been wiped out by velvet and no one was effected in the new. That new tank had inhabitants that went on for years and the ribbon eel was still going strong the last time I heard.
No. I dont use them any more after the reports of dead fish exposed. Even if it was a few years later.

There's other meds and treatment. Methane blue and formalin is rather scary, even to humans.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I dont use them any more after the reports of dead fish exposed. Even if it was a few years later.

There's other meds and treatment. Methane blue and formalin is rather scary, even to humans.

Yeah, right, huh. I hope you don't eat farmed fish, they are raised in a chemical sewage. Funny how someone on here tried to tell me how formalin was safe for lions, because it's approved by the fda for farmed fish,,,yuck.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, right, huh. I hope you don't eat farmed fish, they are raised in a chemical sewage. Funny how someone on here tried to tell me how formalin was safe for lions, because it's approved by the fda for farmed fish,,,yuck.
We don't eat farmed. Their diets are nasty. And no telling what they are treated with. I also avoid shrimp frim china. Ewww.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, our entire food source is sprayed with awful chemicals. And organic farms operate on the honor system once they get their certification. Most small organic farms get bought out by big companies that have proven to have sketchy ethical practices. It’s a scary rabbit hole if you start to dig deeper. :confused-face:
Edit to add: I read about the organic honor system about 4 to 5 years ago. Not sure if it has changed since.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, our entire food source is sprayed with awful chemicals. And organic farms operate on the honor system once they get their certification. Most small organic farms get bought out by big companies that have proven to have sketchy ethical practices. It’s a scary rabbit whole if you start to dig deeper. :confused-face:
That's why I don't want to get into it. It gets ugly fast. And those of us who care. Shunned we are.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ohh also.. I'm sure the qt is ick/velvet free. The mollies should have displayed signs within a week and half. They mini mollies were always under high stress. I'm sure shes clean.

Prazi should also removed the rest of the flukes. Fingers crossed.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh also.. I'm sure the qt is ick/velvet free. The mollies should have displayed signs within a week and half. They mini mollies were always under high stress. I'm sure shes clean.

Prazi should also removed the rest of the flukes. Fingers crossed.

Yes mollies are the canary in the coal mine, some have actually used a black molly as such, to check if they have cleared the protazoans in a tank.

My philosophy of caring for my fish is the same as I care for myself. That's why I get met with resistance some times when I take the no meds, fresh food, or live food stance. I try not to go down the rabbit hole, but you do seem to be in the realm as I. My goal is always give our captive guest at least a high quality, long life close to their life in the wild. You do know eels live from 20-30 years in the wild.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes mollies are the canary in the coal mine, some have actually used a black molly as such, to check if they have cleared the protazoans in a tank.

My philosophy of caring for my fish is the same as I care for myself. That's why I get met with resistance some times when I take the no meds, fresh food, or live food stance. I try not to go down the rabbit hole, but you do seem to be in the realm as I. My goal is always give our captive guest at least a high quality, long life close to their life in the wild. You do know eels live from 20-30 years in the wild.
I didn't intend to use the molly as a canary. The thought just crossed my mind on how black mollies were thrown in the tank for signs of disease. These were intended as food. I'm horrible.

A lot of fish we keep live to double digits. Tangs get up there as well. It should be our goal as a fish care giver. Giving them a chance to reach max life span. They may not treat each other with the same respect.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back