OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Serious question. Larger inferno is working on making a mouth.

If the nem in thebred circle splits... whats the survival chance?
20230608_115732.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question. Larger inferno is working on making a mouth.

If the nem in thebred circle splits... whats the survival chance?
20230608_115732.jpg
which of the nems is this? your rainbow?

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
which of the nems is this? your rainbow?
Inferno. The one in the red circle is the weaker half, but its been pullin apart. Slowly.

1 half goes left, the other half going right. I don't think it has the strength to fully split and wish it would stop.

The other half has balled up to heal.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inferno. The one in the red circle is the weaker half, but its been pullin apart. Slowly.

1 half goes left, the other half going right. I don't think it has the strength to fully split and wish it would stop.

The other half has balled up to heal.
Ive seen this go every which way, sometimes you get lucky with a good 3 way (wait for it)
Other times you will lose one or both of the splits from the 2nd half. you are doing the right things with stable water parameters, lighting, etc. all you can really do is wait. not much more i can think of that i would be doing differently.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good news, bad news. I dunno and I'm feeling like a bowl of mashed potatos
This morning was not the best to see.
20230609_093514.jpg
The weaker nem split in 2. I cleaned up some of the rotten flesh.
This is probably going to end in disaster.

The larger healther half, and other bubble are back in display. This was either a bad call, or a good one.

20230609_093530.jpg

The other split i upped cipro to 250. Hopefully one half pulls through.

I am definitely out of my league.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But, lets talk gonis.
I am sure this piece has devoured much of its stalk to survive. We are now in full petal bloom. Will add back to display in the morning.
20230609_095327.jpg

I have had trial andverror with this goni. We've been through a lot.
20230609_095245.jpg
My point here is, the same took place up above, but for being eaten by a powder blue tang. Low nutrients, and who knows what else.
These 2 suffered from low nutrition as well. We're making a comeback.
20230609_095306.jpg
20230609_095302.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the lights, stagger the stand offs by a couple inches, leave caps just a smidge from touching other bulb... :)

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the lights, stagger the stand offs by a couple inches, leave caps just a smidge from touching other bulb... :)
Issue is the top. The opening is 52 or 54". Where these lamps are under 48 total length. I would need to modify my canopy to make installing the other t5 possible.

The first lamp in frint is already in the way when i go in for maintenance. I keep bumping the reflector.
20230610_104311.jpg

The brace is also causing shading from the bulb above it

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So let's get down to my failures.

1. I did not test equipment prior to use - heater issues. This left us with fluctuation of water temps. Unlike corals, in my own observations, bubble tip anemons do not like temps under 76. At least mine do not.
This was a battle for a couple of nights. Before I got a new heater plugged in and set.
@F i s h y sent me a temp controller for the med tank, this may have been what saved half of the inferno. Getting temperature stable.

2. Lights. I should have known better, in order to heal properly, photosynthesis is CRUCIAL to recovery. The bubble tips were under terrible fish lights for 4 days until I took a noopsyche off my display. This also played against the recovery of the inferno.

3. When the inferno split, I have an assumption that one side took more of the guts with it, leaving the other half, less chance to survive. As it did not die to infection, It could not hold itself together.

The treatment worked. We just had too many human neglected errors in place.

I have officially learned better on how to run a hospital tank for anemones and coral. Even though, for the kfc dip, they recommend 74f to treat coral. Not sure how I feel about that. I am sure that is to slow down the pathogen attacking the coral to give the medicine time to do it's job. I have a few questions about that. Another time and another day.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let's get down to my failures.

1. I did not test equipment prior to use - heater issues. This left us with fluctuation of water temps. Unlike corals, in my own observations, bubble tip anemons do not like temps under 76. At least mine do not.
This was a battle for a couple of nights. Before I got a new heater plugged in and set.
@F i s h y sent me a temp controller for the med tank, this may have been what saved half of the inferno. Getting temperature stable.

2. Lights. I should have known better, in order to heal properly, photosynthesis is CRUCIAL to recovery. The bubble tips were under terrible fish lights for 4 days until I took a noopsyche off my display. This also played against the recovery of the inferno.

3. When the inferno split, I have an assumption that one side took more of the guts with it, leaving the other half, less chance to survive. As it did not die to infection, It could not hold itself together.

The treatment worked. We just had too many human neglected errors in place.

I have officially learned better on how to run a hospital tank for anemones and coral. Even though, for the kfc dip, they recommend 74f to treat coral. Not sure how I feel about that. I am sure that is to slow down the pathogen attacking the coral to give the medicine time to do it's job. I have a few questions about that. Another time and another day.
Thanks for posting and sharing your experience so others can learn from it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live and learn right? Sounds like you got your bases covered if this event were to ever happen again.. I’m not sure about the split with the guts for one reason.. there’s a hacker that’s local to me and i kid you not has a basket full of nems he cut that are no bigger than your pinky nail.. I can’t believe they survive honestly.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Live and learn right? Sounds like you got your bases covered if this event were to ever happen again.. I’m not sure about the split with the guts for one reason.. there’s a hacker that’s local to me and i kid you not has a basket full of nems he cut that are no bigger than your pinky nail.. I can’t believe they survive honestly.
The thing is, this split, one side was bigger than t he other. I can't explain much else. It just did not look at healthy as the larger portion. I should say it was 1/3 and 2/3 split. One side was more foot and less guts. If that makes sense?

There is a reason medical school exist for humans and animals, trial and error has been gone through many times. I don't get that luxury though. I haven't been to veterinary animal care. Plus, each animal is different for treatment.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is, this split, one side was bigger than t he other. I can't explain much else. It just did not look at healthy as the larger portion. I should say it was 1/3 and 2/3 split. One side was more foot and less guts. If that makes sense?
Yeah I get it.. I think my csb is about to do the same thing..I got it cheap “no way I’d pay $600 for a nem” cause it was in poor condition from the previous owner and I brought it back to health… it’s flourishing now but one half wants to hide under the rock and the other is trying to climb into my halides lol… the mouth is almost to the edge so I’m guessing it’s gonna tear or split and that location so they can both go their separate ways! Hopefully the half under the rock comes out to play in the light thou. Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back