It's just a tank

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I may have messed up. After she tried to eat the pebble. I placed a cut of shrimp near her. She ate that.

lol, ok now ,I think you have spoiled her enough. it may be time to start getting her into a routine.

Taking down that piece of shrimp is a good sign, and I know that's what you were looking for, she wouldn't have eaten it if she was in distress.

I don't stress so much about internal parasites once I've gotten such a positive feeding response. It doesn't mean 100%, but what it does mean if she goes off eating. she's strong and I've got time.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lol, ok now ,I think you have spoiled her enough. it may be time to start getting her into a routine.

Taking down that piece of shrimp is a good sign, and I know that's what you were looking for, she wouldn't have eaten it if she was in distress.

I don't stress so much about internal parasites once I've gotten such a positive feeding response. It doesn't mean 100%, but what it does mean if she goes off eating. she's strong and I've got time.
Her belly does need a rest. I wanted to get her a few big meals before treatment. I know fish don't like to eat when prazi is in the water. She's just cozy in her pipe right now. Head up and alert.

I think I'll be able to sleep a few winks.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The GC really made her sick yesterday. She's better this morning. I turned the lights on this morning to discover a regurgitated, partially digested molly. She must have felt overly stressed and nauseous. The silverside is still traveling through her belly. So, thankfully that didn't come up as well.

just because something is safe, doesn't mean there wont be that someone who has a reaction.
I will proceed with great caution next treatment.

I really didn't want to post this. I figured I should.
20220703_101444.jpg
20220703_101505.jpg
20220703_101621.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gc could be a trigger a regurgitation, but so can feeding too often and food pieces too large. This happens plenty with eels, many don't see it because they may regurgitate behind the rocks. I see it all the time when people think they need to feed daily or when they offer huge chunks because the eel can get them down. I would give a rest for a few days and make sure the tank is clear of gc remnants, and not feed until she becomes active in the hunt. Ribbon eels do best with slivers of food vs chunks. Eels are very resilient and flukes nor internal parasites are going to kill them overnight. if you determine she needs treatment I think you would best to split the treatment and ramp up, it's just as effective and is just an added layer of caution..

How do they survive in the ocean with flukes and such

All of the diseases we see in the hobby is due to the collection, shipping, and housing practices of the humans. 1st it taxes their immune system with stress and malnutrition, and the standards of housing and transport is down right disgusting. They are housed in crowded tanks and the standards for keeping them clean is bare minimum, at best. They live with dead, dying, and diseased fish; and predators are fed these if they get fed at all. These diseases we see are rare if they even exist in the wild.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gc could be a trigger a regurgitation, but so can feeding too often and food pieces too large. This happens plenty with eels, many don't see it because they may regurgitate behind the rocks. I see it all the time when people think they need to feed daily or when they offer huge chunks because the eel can get them down. I would give a rest for a few days and make sure the tank is clear of gc remnants, and not feed until she becomes active in the hunt. Ribbon eels do best with slivers of food vs chunks. Eels are very resilient and flukes nor internal parasites are going to kill them overnight. if you determine she needs treatment I think you would best to split the treatment and ramp up, it's just as effective and is just an added layer of caution..
This is the plan. I wasn't going to offer food until the day before next treatment. I was going to fed Wednesday, retreat on Thursday. But, seeing how see reacted. I am currently waiting for her strength to return. She is moving out and about. There is food in her belly still. She was doing the typical digestive dance earlier. Basically swimming in place. Unless I misunderstand that. Usually what I see before they get ready to poo.

She's not at full strength. GC to me is like Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Just because an overly large portion of the population can stand it, there is that small portion it can kill.

She is alert and attentive. Swimming about. I am happy we got through this. I am sure she had gill flukes. Her breating is much more relaxed compared to before treatment. I'll post a video later.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No need to be sorry. Just caught me off guard is all.
I'll limit the eel exposure. She's just so pretty. I can't help but share. Even the painful parts.

I told my husband, " i don't care if she eats all the fish in the reef tank". He did not like that response :(

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1 thing goes north, the other goes south.

Clowns found lta and beat em up., i guess?
Lta in far back. Camera doesnt do well.
20220704_175144.jpg

Up on the north. Gilgamesh is splitting.
20220704_175214.jpg
Molly and ghost shrimp figured out what thd chaeto is for. The feeding/hunting ground.
20220704_175557.jpg
They are very small.
Eli is very active. 4' tank is getting small for her taste.
20220704_175527.jpg

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 thing goes north, the other goes south.

Clowns found lta and beat em up., i guess?
Lta in far back. Camera doesnt do well.
20220704_175144.jpg

Up on the north. Gilgamesh is splitting.
20220704_175214.jpg
Molly and ghost shrimp figured out what thd chaeto is for. The feeding/hunting ground.
20220704_175557.jpg
They are very small.
Eli is very active. 4' tank is getting small for her taste.
20220704_175527.jpg
LTA can be finicky. Usually a clown hosting in it will be beneficial but not so much when they are trying to get adjusted to a new location. They tend to pulverize the nem trying to “love” on it, even when it’s settling…. If the clown is irritating it I would try to settle a net over the nem- it will give the nem a break long enough it can get situated without the clown disturbing it or interrupting your flow. Once it starts to expand again you can remove the net.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth noting that LTA like a moderate amount of flow as well. They tend to do better with more than a BTA receives. If the tentacles aren’t flowing around in the current they probably need a little more. It will move if it’s unhappy, though. Just watch for it trying to detach. They’ll inflate their column and let go of their hold, floating until they find a suitable location.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Worth noting that LTA like a moderate amount of flow as well. They tend to do better with more than a BTA receives. If the tentacles aren’t flowing around in the current they probably need a little more. It will move if it’s unhappy, though. Just watch for it trying to detach. They’ll inflate their column and let go of their hold, floating until they find a suitable location.
There's more flow on the left. Not much in mid. Low flow on right. The lta wanted the spot where I had my octospawn. That drew the attention of the clowns. Sadly, i can't find where the lta hid. Over flow is covered, its gotta be in the back of the rocks where I can't see.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back